Using Link Aggregation with WD MyColud PR4100

Go to solution Solved by Gaub,

You won't see any advantages from your laptop but link aggregation would allow you to saturate gigabit connections to two clients at the same time. Even if a client had two gigabit adapters, you would only see gigabit throughput from the NAS to a client. If you do want to do it you would need a managed (smart) switch that supports link aggregation. Netgear makes them.

Hi All,

I recently purchased a MyCloud PR4100, which I understand supports Link Aggregation to allow faster transfers across a network.

My first query is - seeing as the laptop still only sports a Gigabit network port, would data transfer speeds actually be improved if I'm transferring data from my laptop to the MyCloud? For reference, I have a Dell XPS 15-9550 which I connect to my network via a Dell DA200 adapter.

Second query - were I to actually see faster transfer speeds between my laptop and the PR4100 via Link Aggregation, what network switch should I get? I'm partial to Netgear as 99% of the network gear in the house is from Netgear. So far the information I have read is not particularly clear which Switches support Link Aggregation.

Thanks for you help!

CURRENT - Dell XPS 15 9550

DECEASED - CPU - Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz || Motherboard - MSI 7613 Ver. 1.0 || RAM - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz || Graphics card - MSI GT 220 || Storage - 1x240GB SanDisk SSD Plus (Windows 7 SP1), 1x 960GB SanDisk Ultra II (Premiere/After Effects Projects, 1x 640GB WD Caviar Blue (Data Drive), 2x 4TB Seagate External USB 3.0 HDD

Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

DECEASED - CPU - Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz || Motherboard - MSI 7613 Ver. 1.0 || RAM - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz || Graphics card - MSI GT 220 || Storage - 1x240GB SanDisk SSD Plus (Windows 7 SP1), 1x 960GB SanDisk Ultra II (Premiere/After Effects Projects, 1x 640GB WD Caviar Blue (Data Drive), 2x 4TB Seagate External USB 3.0 HDD

You won't see any advantages from your laptop but link aggregation would allow you to saturate gigabit connections to two clients at the same time. Even if a client had two gigabit adapters, you would only see gigabit throughput from the NAS to a client. If you do want to do it you would need a managed (smart) switch that supports link aggregation. Netgear makes them.

Excellent, thanks for the advice @Gaub! I suppose I won't bother then, as I'm the only person who'll be using it.