Budget racing drone

ItsMinJunLol

Hi! I would like a decent racing drone. Carbon fiber frame, 4s battery, and decent speed. I have seen the Eachine wizard X220, and wanted it, but I've seen a lot of negative reviews about it. I also checked out the Racer 250, Rodeo 250, F150, F210, and more. I'm really not sure what to get. I would like a pretty fast drone with a good punch. Not as much as the GT2 200, because that thing is absolutely crazy, but not as a puny thing like the parrot minidrones.

What do your recommend I get? I want to do a decent amount of acro and racing with a budget of around 400$, which includes the FPV goggles too. I would like RTF that comes with everything (battery, charger, transmitter, etc) which all of the things I've mentioned were perfect for. I have filtered the drones. the Eachine Falcon 250 pro / non pro, Wizard x220, JJPro P200 or the Walkera F210. I am not an advanced pilot by any means, but I have flown a decent amount before, so being unable to fly is not going to be a problem for me. Which one should I get? Thanks!

P. S. I see things like CC3D, Betaflight, Naze 32, etc. What are they, what are the differences and what do you recommend? Thanks!

A lot of people in my fpv group run wizards (like 2) but everyone else builds their first rig. I highly recommend going this route because the wizard has its quirks and it's a lot easier to fix things when you built it. Uavfutures recently posted a video building a $99 quad. Thats just the quad, you will have to source goggles, batteries, and a radio. I recommend getting 4 1300 packs to start, and get half decent ones (like the Tattu 1300, not the R line. The R lines are not worth the premium) or a good battery (like the turnigy graphene 65c) so that you won't be limited by your battery on a more powerful build. For your radio, I recommend the flysky/turnigy i6s, or the Taranis qx7 if you can afford it. 

The cc3d and Naze32 are types of flight controllers. They're okay, but stay away from the Naze 32. The Naze is an F1 board with a crappy gyro. I've also killed like 4 of them just crashing, the G forces kill them. I recommend the cc3d f4 boards (also sometimes branded as an spracing f4. It's not made by seriously pro, they haven't made anything past their f3 evo boards) as its like $25 for an f4 processor and an mpu6000 gyro (the best one you can currently get, it could be better, but it's not good enough). Betaflight is the current golden standard of firmware that just about everyone uses for their flight controllers. KISS is a thing, but it's proprietary and expensive. Raceflight is also a thing, even developed near me, but it's seen quite a bit of problems and drama in that community. Betaflight is the best, most stable firmware out right now. 

While I'm here, there's a new multirotor thread in this sub forum, we should try to use it. Also a general rc thread in this sub forum, but it's mostly ground vehicles. 

ASU

On 3/31/2017 at 3:59 AM, Hackentosher said:

A lot of people in my fpv group run wizards (like 2) but everyone else builds their first rig. I highly recommend going this route because the wizard has its quirks and it's a lot easier to fix things when you built it. Uavfutures recently posted a video building a $99 quad. Thats just the quad, you will have to source goggles, batteries, and a radio. I recommend getting 4 1300 packs to start, and get half decent ones (like the Tattu 1300, not the R line. The R lines are not worth the premium) or a good battery (like the turnigy graphene 65c) so that you won't be limited by your battery on a more powerful build. For your radio, I recommend the flysky/turnigy i6s, or the Taranis qx7 if you can afford it. 

The cc3d and Naze32 are types of flight controllers. They're okay, but stay away from the Naze 32. The Naze is an F1 board with a crappy gyro. I've also killed like 4 of them just crashing, the G forces kill them. I recommend the cc3d f4 boards (also sometimes branded as an spracing f4. It's not made by seriously pro, they haven't made anything past their f3 evo boards) as its like $25 for an f4 processor and an mpu6000 gyro (the best one you can currently get, it could be better, but it's not good enough). Betaflight is the current golden standard of firmware that just about everyone uses for their flight controllers. KISS is a thing, but it's proprietary and expensive. Raceflight is also a thing, even developed near me, but it's seen quite a bit of problems and drama in that community. Betaflight is the best, most stable firmware out right now. 

While I'm here, there's a new multirotor thread in this sub forum, we should try to use it. Also a general rc thread in this sub forum, but it's mostly ground vehicles. 

Hi! Sorry for the late reply but thanks for that. It was really helpful. I decided to UAVfutures 100$ upgraded build. I am fairly confident about the build part but I'm not so confident on the software part. I have a F3 acro flight controller (link) but I don't know how to install betaflight, configure it, etc. Can you explain to me Betaflight and how to configure it? Thanks!

23 minutes ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

Hi! Sorry for the late reply but thanks for that. It was really helpful. I decided to UAVfutures 100$ upgraded build. I am fairly confident about the build part but I'm not so confident on the software part. I have a F3 acro flight controller (link) but I don't know how to install betaflight, configure it, etc. Can you explain to me Betaflight and how to configure it? Thanks!

Okay, I believe that board is an spracing clone. You'll probably have to push the bootloader button when flashing the firmware, but not when you're just configuring the firmware. 

ASU

On 3/31/2017 at 3:59 AM, Hackentosher said:

16 hours ago, ItsMinJunLol said:

He responded

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein