Upgrading from an i5 760 to an i7 860?

Go to solution Solved by Damascus,

I would personally, games are using more and more cores and if you decide to play BF1 or similar new well optimized title

I currently have an i5 760 overclocked to 4.0 Ghz. I want to get a new cpu but I don't want to upgrade my motherboard yet. I'm currently seeing i7 870's going for under $100. Is it worth it for gaming if I can get it also to 4.0 Ghz?

With my 760, I only see frame dips in games like GTA V where it is very cpu intensive. Games like doom I can run at pretty much maxed out settings (Using an rx 470 gpu) 

Is it worth switching?

Just now, Damascus said:

I would personally, games are using more and more cores and if you decide to play BF1 or similar new well optimized title

Thats what i was thinking, because like i said im not really seeing any slowdown except in cpu heavy games, even then it isn't that bad. (Lowest I see in GTA V is 40 fps when blowing up like 20 cars lol)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/48496,41315

I mean if it is the only upgrade you can do without going with a new system I would go for it. 

You get hyper-threading and a higher clock speed.

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

1 minute ago, S7117 said:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/48496,41315

I mean if it is the only upgrade you can do without going with a new system I would go for it. 

You get hyper-threading and a higher clock speed.

Not worried so much about clocks an I plan to push it to 3.9 to 4.0 ghz

2 minutes ago, basedthirst said:

Not worried so much about clocks an I plan to push it to 3.9 to 4.0 ghz

But supposedly, if you get a good silicon lottery draw, you will be able to overclock up to those speeds much easier with the i7 than with the i5 you currently have. We are talking about a .4 GHz difference compared to .67 GHz on the i5.

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

Definitely not a bad move.  I did something similar a couple of years ago going from an i5-750 to a xeon X3470 as it was cheaper than the i7-870 and my motherboard couldn't overclock anyway.  HUGE difference, can still handle a surprising amount.  I'll finally be upgrading my full system next month.

Better yet, you'll be able to pay for half of the new CPU by selling the old one on ebay! So for ~$50 you'll squeeze at LEAST another year out of your build.  Not a bad investment.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:55 PM, basedthirst said:

I currently have an i5 760 overclocked to 4.0 Ghz. I want to get a new cpu but I don't want to upgrade my motherboard yet. I'm currently seeing i7 870's going for under $100. Is it worth it for gaming if I can get it also to 4.0 Ghz?

With my 760, I only see frame dips in games like GTA V where it is very cpu intensive. Games like doom I can run at pretty much maxed out settings (Using an rx 470 gpu) 

Is it worth switching?

CPU benchmark for the i5 = 3906, for the i7 = 5062. It's a decent upgrade. My i7-4770K @ 4.2GHz exceeds 11,000 :P 

On 3/31/2017 at 3:38 PM, bfairs said:

Definitely not a bad move.  I did something similar a couple of years ago going from an i5-750 to a xeon X3470 as it was cheaper than the i7-870 and my motherboard couldn't overclock anyway.  HUGE difference, can still handle a surprising amount.  I'll finally be upgrading my full system next month.

Better yet, you'll be able to pay for half of the new CPU by selling the old one on ebay! So for ~$50 you'll squeeze at LEAST another year out of your build.  Not a bad investment.

So if i overclock it to at least 3.7 ill be good :P