Overclocking issues.

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
Just now, Mikius10001 said:

@Glennieboyyy007 @Imakuni Thanks, I'll see what I can find when I get home. If anyone knows a reliable channel or tutorial (not just the first one that pops up) it would not go unappreciated. Side note, what are people opinions on where I should aim for with a 212 EVO? is 4.0 -4.2 a reasonable goal? Or are my eyes bigger than my stomach?

Expect 4.2~4.3 out of a 212 EVO.

On 12/03/2017 at 3:36 PM, Imakuni said:

Quick guide:

1. Put voltage on manual, I suggest 1.2v as a starting point. Leave the frequency at stock.
  2. Stress test with Prime95 Small FFT for about 5min.
  3. If max temp is:
    1. Below 81C, increase voltage a notch and repeat step 2
    2. Between 81~83, move on.
    3. Above 83, reduce voltage a notch and repeat setp 2.
  4. Once you've found your max voltage, start increasing core frequency. Stress for about 1h, until you've found instability; at that point, back off to the previous value.
  5. Once you've got that, go for a lengthier 8~24h test. If stable, congrats, you've got your OC. Otherwise, knock the multiplier down a little.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have an i5-6600K and a 212 EVO cooler. Now I know that cooler won't push my 6600k to 4.8 or crazy shit I see in the Overclocking Database but I should be able to push 4 or 4.2 maybe? I used AI Suite to do this with software and got to 4.2 (22%) increase but my sound got all messed up. Is that normal? I had to remove the OC as I couldn't deal with the messed sound. I want to OC so that my PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS will run smoother and allow me to record at the same time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

i would OC the cpu myself. if you dont know how you do that just type it in on youtube, there are plenty of OC guides on there. i got my cpu to 5Ghz with no problems and it was the first time OC'ing.

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

23 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I have an i5-6600K and a 212 EVO cooler. Now I know that cooler won't push my 6600k to 4.8 or crazy shit I see in the Overclocking Database but I should be able to push 4 or 4.2 maybe?

This is what you did wrong:

23 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

I used AI Suite

Never use auto OC features. Do things manually and all your issues should go away.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@Glennieboyyy007 @Imakuni Thanks, I'll see what I can find when I get home. If anyone knows a reliable channel or tutorial (not just the first one that pops up) it would not go unappreciated. Side note, what are people opinions on where I should aim for with a 212 EVO? is 4.0 -4.2 a reasonable goal? Or are my eyes bigger than my stomach?

Just now, Mikius10001 said:

Expect 4.2~4.3 out of a 212 EVO.

On 12/03/2017 at 3:36 PM, Imakuni said:

Quick guide:

1. Put voltage on manual, I suggest 1.2v as a starting point. Leave the frequency at stock.
  2. Stress test with Prime95 Small FFT for about 5min.
  3. If max temp is:
    1. Below 81C, increase voltage a notch and repeat step 2
    2. Between 81~83, move on.
    3. Above 83, reduce voltage a notch and repeat setp 2.
  4. Once you've found your max voltage, start increasing core frequency. Stress for about 1h, until you've found instability; at that point, back off to the previous value.
  5. Once you've got that, go for a lengthier 8~24h test. If stable, congrats, you've got your OC. Otherwise, knock the multiplier down a little.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

@Imakuni

Sorry in step 3 you keep saying notch. Does that imply going from 1.2V to 1.3V or to 1.21V

Again sorry for the newbie questions, never done a manual before.

3 minutes ago, Mikius10001 said:

@Imakuni

Sorry in step 3 you keep saying notch. Does that imply going from 1.2V to 1.3V or to 1.21V

Again sorry for the newbie questions, never done a manual before.

@Imakuni Thanks for your help. Was able to get a stable 4.3 GHz OC while keeping temps at or below 70C. I',m sure I could get a bit higher if I was willing to accept more heat, or get an AIO or something, but I'm happy with this. Also don't wanna burn it out to fast ;)