M.2 detected. But now it isnt.

poggwea

I booted up my pc and all the drives but the 256 gb Mushkin 2.5" SSD were detected. The MP500 M.2 SSD, Intel 480GB 2.5" SSD, the Toshiba 1TB SSD 2.5" , and the WD Blue 1TB HDD were detected. I called Newegg to RMA the mushkin drive and they are letting me. I did some file transfers from my intel drive (which has my OS on it) to my phone. Just a few files to make sure it worked they were pictures, and driver copies from my old board. I allocated the space for the M.2, and then new Toshiba 1TB SSD. I never updated the MSI drivers fir my new board. So I turned off my Pc and came back 2 hours later and turned it on and put in the MSI USB drive that contains all the drivers for my new motherboard. I don't think I installed them but after that my MP500 M.2 SSD was no longer detected in the BIOS or disk management. I cleared CMOS to no avail. I have no idea what is going on.

6 minutes ago, Oppslia said:

I booted up my pc and all the drives but the 256 gb Mushkin 2.5" SSD were detected. The MP500 M.2 SSD, Intel 480GB 2.5" SSD, the Toshiba 1TB SSD 2.5" , and the WD Blue 1TB HDD were detected. I called Newegg to RMA the mushkin drive and they are letting me. I did some file transfers from my intel drive (which has my OS on it) to my phone. Just a few files to make sure it worked they were pictures, and driver copies from my old board. I allocated the space for the M.2, and then new Toshiba 1TB SSD. I never updated the MSI drivers fir my new board. So I turned off my Pc and came back 2 hours later and turned it on and put in the MSI USB drive that contains all the drivers for my new motherboard. I don't think I installed them but after that my MP500 M.2 SSD was no longer detected in the BIOS or disk management. I cleared CMOS to no avail. I have no idea what is going on.

I've had two M.2 drives fail.  One after about 2 hours use, the other after about 5 hours use.

Both got RMA's ok (they were really dead).   Both failed by just being invisible to BIOS and windows and utilities, etc.

In my case both were 256GB Samsung EVO 960.   

My other drives (i have 3 other M.2's - 2x512GB, 1 x 256GB) are all fine.

I keep picking up people talking about m.2 failures in random posts, but not seeing anyone describe it as a 'trend' or even a general QA issue.