Overclocking questions

Alright. So. MSI afterburner blinks the screen when applying any overclock. Is this normal?

Secondly, its enabled extended overclock, but not voltage increases. As such the overclock is still small.

Thirdly, said overclock does well in furmark, going for over an hour with no issues. It glitches out horrendously in timespy, to the point that the main monitor  its displaying on goes to a bunch of pixelated lines and even after force quitting the program  refuses to recover: it just stays there. Have to force a restart to fix it.

Also runs fine on heaven benchmark.

Any advice?

System specs are

R9 270 Gigabyte (was trying 1150 core 1500 memory)

1090t @ 4ghz (6 hours stable in prime)

Crosshair IV formula motherboard

Samsung 850 evo ssd

Corsair HX620 PSU

I'm Getting annoyed with the small issues building up. 

if it runs fine o benchmarks it stable

and if you increase voltage it will not damage your card and its limited (except if you flash another bios) so your fine

screen flash screen doesn't happen to me but its fine it way be an amd thing

if it works in benchmark its fine

18 minutes ago, Mothballs said:

It glitches out horrendously in timespy, to the point that the main monitor  its displaying on goes to a bunch of pixelated lines and even after force quitting the program  refuses to recover: it just stays there. Have to force a restart to fix it. 

2 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

if it runs fine o benchmarks it stable

and if you increase voltage it will not damage your card and its limited (except if you flash another bios) so your fine

screen flash screen doesn't happen to me but its fine it way be an amd thing

if it works in benchmark its fine

Yeah, except it doesn't.

Can't seem to find a setting to let me limit by heat or run the voltage up in afterburner. They're greyed out. I: checked on in the menu, but yeah.

1 minute ago, Mothballs said:

Yeah, except it doesn't.

Can't seem to find a setting to let me limit by heat or run the voltage up in afterburner. They're greyed out. I: checked on in the menu, but yeah.

check amd wattman its the best amd oc tool

36 minutes ago, Mothballs said:

It glitches out horrendously in timespy, to the point that the main monitor  its displaying on goes to a bunch of pixelated lines and even after force quitting the program  refuses to recover

That should be what we call artifacting. Happens a bunch if you overdo your memory frequncy. Furmark only uses a tiny fraction of video memory, I guess thats the reason why it stays stable. Try to turn down your memory frequncy and run some actual games as a benchmark instead of stability-testing tools instead.

8 hours ago, black0utm1rage said:

That should be what we call artifacting. Happens a bunch if you overdo your memory frequncy. Furmark only uses a tiny fraction of video memory, I guess thats the reason why it stays stable. Try to turn down your memory frequncy and run some actual games as a benchmark instead of stability-testing tools instead.

It runs fine in overwatch and MWO on those settings. It'll take a bit to get other ones installed.

Is there a way to unlock voltage control? Shouldn't that help with stability?

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if it's power delivery. The GPU overclock was fine before the cpu overclock, but now its not.

The HX620 is fairly old at this point, is there any chance that the thing is failing?

As well, the screen blink is from msi refreshing the screen resolution because of an apparent issue with Radeon cards not loading profiles otherwise, it actually states this in the settings.

I'm going to double check power, but in the meantime is there any other oc program I could use for easier compatability with the Gigabyte R9 card that will allow me to go past official limits? These cards are known to get to 1200mhz on the gpu clock and I'd really like to stay in the range I am in.

10 minutes ago, Mothballs said:

The HX620 is fairly old at this point, is there any chance that the thing is failing?

There's a chance even a brand new PSU can fail. But if it was a failing PSU, I'd expect bigger problems than just trouble getting an overclock stable. If your PC was spontaneously shutting itself down or rebooting when you start up games or (especially) Furmark, that would sound more like a failing PSU.

I've never used MSI Afterburner with an AMD card so I'm unsure if all of the same options are present, but this is typically how you unlock voltage control:

MSI_AFTERBURNER_VOLTAGE_2.png