Help decide on new graphics cards

SilentXer0

i just built 2 systems, please recommend graphics cards for each  ( for gaming )

price is not an issue but don't want to spend more than I need to.

1st rig

I7 7700k

asus maximus hero ix

currently has a Gtx 1060 6g

3 monitor setup @ 1080p but plan to upgrade the center to a 144hz 1080p

2nd rig

amd R7 1700

asus prime b350

currently has  a  Gtx 960 2g

2 monitor setup @ 1080p adding a 3rd soon all at 60hz

XAsoMDF.jpg

11 minutes ago, SilentXer0 said:

Soon there'll be new radeon RX graphics card be out, and even vega, wait for them.

If not, then RX480 is good for budget. As 1080p is CPU intensive, it'll be excellent choice

-- BSOD : ( --

1 minute ago, Zackbare said:

Soon there'll be new radeon RX graphics card be out, and even vega, wait for them.

If not, then RX480 is good for budget. As 1080p is CPU intensive, it'll be excellent choice

but he's talking triple monitor setups, so it's not just 1080p it's like 1440p Ultrawide level of resolution to deal with, so you'll want nothing less then a 1070 who is the king of 1440p budget gaming.

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

but he's talking triple monitor setups, so it's not just 1080p it's like 1440p Ultrawide level of resolution to deal with, so you'll want nothing less then a 1070 who is the king of 1440p budget gaming.

But, if he can, he should still probably wait for Vega and new rx right?

-- BSOD : ( --

Just now, Zackbare said:

But, if he can, he should still probably wait for Vega and new rx right?

Oh yeah, if you can wait, wait, gotta see what team red drops in the next few months, might even help get the Nvidia pricing under control somewhat.

i'm in no rush, waited 3 months for the ryzen system,  but if vega is just running on par with nvidia is it worth the wait for the same performance?

are there any leaks or estimates on how good vega will be?

2 hours ago, SilentXer0 said:

i'm in no rush, waited 3 months for the ryzen system,  but if vega is just running on par with nvidia is it worth the wait for the same performance?

are there any leaks or estimates on how good vega will be?

from what they've shown, around 1080 (NOT ti) level performance, the question is PRICING, even if they are only as good as the 1080, if they can undercut the pricing enough it could be the better buy. I'm probably going 1080ti myself because I don't intend to EVER upgrade again, this 6700k/950Pro (just waiting on a GPU) build will be my last Desktop PC, I'm "overbuilding" it now so it can handle the next 5 years + worth of VR advancements (since a RX480 8GB already runs all the current stuff sufficiently) without needing upgrades.

5 hours ago, SilentXer0 said:

i just built 2 systems, please recommend graphics cards for each  ( for gaming )

price is not an issue but don't want to spend more than I need to.

1st rig

I7 7700k

asus maximus hero ix

currently has a Gtx 1060 6g

3 monitor setup @ 1080p but plan to upgrade the center to a 144hz 1080p

GTX 1080ti - pick your flavor - since this one is faster in single-core, the 1080ti will help maximize what you plan to do with it.

5 hours ago, SilentXer0 said:

2nd rig

amd R7 1700

asus prime b350

currently has  a  Gtx 960 2g

2 monitor setup @ 1080p adding a 3rd soon all at 60hz

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW/FTW2 - the speed isn't as high, but then again, the Ryzen chips don't have as fast of a clock speed in single-core either.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

The RX 480 is a good bang for your buck option, it really won't struggle with multi-display 1080p. The only thing to look for if you get one is to make sure you get a board partner card (MSI, EVGA or some other manufacturer with a decent name) and make sure it has more than than the 1x6pin PCIe power connector that the reference card has, as that can be an issue with older or lower end motherboards.

The second rig the RX480 would be almost a no-brainer to me, and 2 of them in CF is a pretty viable option for the 1st, getting you comparable performance to a GTX 1080 for about 30% less.

5 minutes ago, jimmy1516 said:

The second rig the RX480 would be almost a no-brainer to me, and 2 of them in CF is a pretty viable option for the 1st, getting you comparable performance to a GTX 1080 for about 30% less.

*In games that scale properly, not all games play well with Multi-GPU setups.

12 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

*In games that scale properly, not all games play well with Multi-GPU setups.

Most definitely.  I've seen many TechTubers say that you should go with one high-power card than two lower-power cards anytime possible.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

Just now, MidnightBanshi said:

Most definitely.  I've seen many TechTubers say that you should go with one high-power card than two lower-power cards anytime possible.

general rule of thumb is don't double up till you already have the best thing out there due to the inconsistencies in multi-GPU, being this crap has been going on for over a decade now it's obviously not going to change.

Not unless more game publishers start putting really good SLI configuration files in their games.  Probably takes too much money and resources to make it worth their while at this point.  Maybe someday that'll change, but it's pretty doubtful.