Beep codes from PSU?!

Jalmio
Go to solution Solved by Jalmio,
25 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

Made sure.

I haven't felt this stupid for a while. When I first 'unplugged every component to make sure it's just the power supply' I didn't realize to unplug things from the other side of the case.

After unplugging everything from the PSU end I realized why. The hard drive I had at some point hung there for aesthetical reason is dead. The beeps are actually the needle bouncing around and then giving up. Now I just had connected power to it.

I'm an idiot. Sorry for wasting your time. And thanks.

IMG_1340.JPG

So, I replaced my old time bomb-quality brick with EVGA Supernova G3 750W. Everything seems to work fine but at every power on, including wake from sleep I get this series of beeps. 7 short beeps, then 3 and then 3 again. Always the same 7-3-3 sequence.

It doesn't come from the motherboard (I don't even have the mobo beeper installed!), but the from PSU. While this is annoying, I'm a bit worried too.

Google didn't offer much. Anyone here know what's this all about?

I recorded the beeps here.

iv never heard of a PSU beeping... thats new. could be some really strange coilwhine?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

iv never heard of a PSU beeping... thats new. could be some really strange coilwhine?

Me neither. Though I doubt it's coil whine; It's the exact same robotic 7-3-3 sequence every time at power on and nowhere else.

11 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

your pc is creepy as much as your profile photo

a psu doesn't have a beeper

is it a pre-build?

Nope, all aftermarket parts. Actually it was a prebuilt in 2009 or so, but everything original is long gone.

6 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

Nope, all aftermarket parts. Actually it was a prebuilt in 2009 or so, but everything original is long gone.

make sure its coming from the psu

Just now, Ethocreeper said:

make sure its coming from the psu

Made sure.

18 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

what gpu do you have?

MSI R9 390

I unplugged everything from the PSU and the beeps have disappeared. Mobo, CPU snd GPU connectors reattached, still no beeps. I yet have to plug sata and molex back in and see what happens.

Maybe something was loose.

Update: everything's plugged back and the beep returned. I'll keep playing with the connectors.

25 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

Made sure.

I haven't felt this stupid for a while. When I first 'unplugged every component to make sure it's just the power supply' I didn't realize to unplug things from the other side of the case.

After unplugging everything from the PSU end I realized why. The hard drive I had at some point hung there for aesthetical reason is dead. The beeps are actually the needle bouncing around and then giving up. Now I just had connected power to it.

I'm an idiot. Sorry for wasting your time. And thanks.

IMG_1340.JPG