Why does my pc overheat

Kevkev198

Hi

I have an pc with a gtx 960 strix 4gb oc,i5 2300 2.8, 12 ram and i have 5 fans in total: 1 on the back part of the pc, cpu fan,psu fan and 2 gpu fans but I have realize thay with the time my pc has gotten from 28 to 38 that is now normally when stating up and I have cleaned my pc and it seems to be without much dust and I replaced the thermal paste because it hasn't been replaced for years and was kinda burned but somehow my pc has gotten more hot and I can't seem to find the problem can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong 

2 minutes ago, Kevkev198 said:

Hi

I have an pc with a gtx 960 strix 4gb oc,i5 2300 2.8, 12 ram and i have 5 fans in total: 1 on the back part of the pc, cpu fan,psu fan and 2 gpu fans but I have realize thay with the time my pc has gotten from 28 to 38 that is now normally when stating up and I have cleaned my pc and it seems to be without much dust and I replaced the thermal paste because it hasn't been replaced for years and was kinda burned but somehow my pc has gotten more hot and I can't seem to find the problem can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong 

So you don't have any fans at the front of the case???

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 minute ago, vong said:

So you don't have any fans at the front of the case???

No I don't but I have an open place on the lower part and I have a midtower 

What is it after 30 minutes at idle. And what is it at while doing intensive tasks.

The geek himself.

Are the fans on the GPU and CPU Cooler even spinning?

Can't fix it with Bacon? Your obviously Undeniably not using enough Bacon.

It goes up to 38 to 41 without doing anything and while doing other things like gaming it goes up to 69 but the fans are on at full so it doesn't go further than that but it wasn't that hot before some time ago

Just now, Ducky obs.erve.me said:

Are the fans on the GPU and CPU Cooler even spinning?

The gpu is Config to start running at 30% when it goes to 36 and cpu is always on spinning 

Do you know which component(s) are overheating?

2 minutes ago, Kevkev198 said:

It goes up to 38 to 41 without doing anything and while doing other things like gaming it goes up to 69 but the fans are on at full so it doesn't go further than that but it wasn't that hot before some time ago

69c is completely fine and not overheating at all, 80-85c is where I'd consider temperatures abnormally high

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

69c is completely fine and not overheating at all, 80-85c is where I'd consider temperatures abnormally high

Does this count for both CPU and / or GPU?

7 minutes ago, mikat said:

It would pretty much be higher if the fans weren't spinning their fastest 

6 minutes ago, Ducky obs.erve.me said:

Does this count for both CPU and / or GPU?

90 is the point where gpu will thermal thorttle while its 100 for cpu although i will never let either reach even close to that.

CPU i7-6800K @ 4.4 GHz MOBO ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC GPU GTX 1080 FE RAM Corsair 32GB LPX Cooler Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Storage Samsung 512GB 950 Pro + 1.5TB HDD PSU Corsair CX650M Display Acer X34 Peripherals K70 LUX RGB MX RED, G502 Spectrum, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, & Razer Seiren Microphone

9 minutes ago, Ducky obs.erve.me said:

Do you know which component(s) are overheating?

Mostly my gpu and lilbit cpu

9 minutes ago, mikat said:

The point is that it didn't run that high temperature with the things I do everyday  until now 

The only thing you did to the parts is reapplying the thermal paste. Im thinking maybe wrong application of it is causing the heat problem

CPU i7-6800K @ 4.4 GHz MOBO ASROCK X99E-ITX/AC GPU GTX 1080 FE RAM Corsair 32GB LPX Cooler Noctua NH-U9DXi4 Storage Samsung 512GB 950 Pro + 1.5TB HDD PSU Corsair CX650M Display Acer X34 Peripherals K70 LUX RGB MX RED, G502 Spectrum, Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear, & Razer Seiren Microphone

1 minute ago, andy0842 said:

The only thing you did to the parts is reapplying the thermal paste. Im thinking maybe wrong application of it is causing the heat problem

I put it in a shape of a rice in the middle then put the fan on 

1 minute ago, andy0842 said:

That isn't actually far-fetched, I accidentally didn't apply enough Thermal Paste onto my Xeon 2670 months ago. I took it out and only 2/3 of the CPU's heat-spreader was covered in Thermal paste... (Xeons don't get very hot...)

If you do remove your CPU cooler, be careful to not let any of the sticky paste drop onto your Motherboard o7

1 minute ago, Kevkev198 said:

I put it in a shape of a rice in the middle then put the fan on 

As you may or may not have seen lukes stupid workshop series where he tested amount or shape of thermal paste would affect cooling, it matters only if you apply too little. Also you might have some air trapped which disturbs the heat transfer.

12 hours ago, andy0842 said:

90 is the point where gpu will thermal thorttle while its 100 for cpu although i will never let either reach even close to that.

100c can be reached for short periods of time on the cpu, I've done it.

Nvidia gpus auto throttle at 83c to prevent overheating

12 hours ago, andy0842 said:

As you may or may not have seen lukes stupid workshop series where he tested amount or shape of thermal paste would affect cooling, it matters only if you apply too little. Also you might have some air trapped which disturbs the heat transfer.

If you put too little or just make a ring then there are problems but it's usually fine with the dot or line method

12 hours ago, Ducky obs.erve.me said:

That isn't actually far-fetched, I accidentally didn't apply enough Thermal Paste onto my Xeon 2670 months ago. I took it out and only 2/3 of the CPU's heat-spreader was covered in Thermal paste... (Xeons don't get very hot...)

If you do remove your CPU cooler, be careful to not let any of the sticky paste drop onto your Motherboard o7

Working with thermal paste should be done horizontally at all times imo

1 hour ago, mikat said:

100c can be reached for short periods of time on the cpu, I've done it.

Nvidia gpus auto throttle at 83c to prevent overheating

No, they don't.

1 hour ago, Morgan Everett said:

No, they don't.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/941524/what-sort-of-idle-temp-does-your-gtx-1080-fe-run-at-/

When gaming, the 1080 will hit 83 degrees at which point the clock throttles down to the baseline (~1600MHz).

Ya they do

As you can see in the first attached picture, under that silver IHS, or integrated heat sink, there is that very thin blackish layer. This is my own 6800k that happened to be readily available while building custom water loop. That thin layer is the actual die of the cpu. Unless you delid your cpu your cooler has contact only with the heat sink. This indicates that your cooler is not cooling your cpu directly, rather the heat sink that spreads out the heat created by the die. 

In the second picture is my gtx 1080. The silver part you see on the gpu is the actual die of the processing unit. This one, you want to spread out your thermal paste all over it. 

The third picture is my EK X99 water block. As you can see, i like to cover my cpu with thermal paste as it ensures enough heat transfer between the block and the cpu heat sink.

However, please note that this kind of application of thermal paste is neither required nor recommended. Its not bad either. I just like to do it this way. Its just pain in the rear end later on when i have to clean the block and cpu as its quite a lot of thermal paste...

Lastly, dont worry if your thermal paste happens to "overflow" into the cpu socket or over the green part of the gpu. As the thermal paste is non-conductive or should be, it will not ruin your precious components.

1490640123053892591832.jpg

1490640265185576163892.jpg

149064055351139866773.jpg

19 hours ago, mikat said:

No, they don't. Remember: I own a 1080. And one that regularly runs over 83C without thermal throttling. Also, you said "Nvidia gpus", so I look forward to you showing that my 980 Ti thermal throttled at 83C, too (it didn't, by the way).