Creating an Employee Payroll System

NemesisPrime_691

Hello Everyone!! Finally decided to post here after spending an entire day searching the interwebs for ideas. I have a project to submit this semester and have decided upon creating a Win32 application for calculating the wages of employees according to their job titles and deductions, bonuses and so on. It should also calculate yearly and monthly wages separately and should display the results in a table format.

I possess some knowledge in C/C++ and SQL and want to implement the software by connecting my program with MySql. In short I want the front-end to be with C++ (using Windows Forms Application in Visual Studio) and the back-end to be MySql. Upon searching for data in the application UI,  the database must be searched by running appropriate queries.

So, any help as to how should I tackle this? I have watched a number of videos on creating forms application and they mostly consist of calculators and the sort.

TL:DR; I need someone to guide me in the direction I should look for to get this done. I just can't seem to find any thorough tutorials. Its a froup project with 4 members and we have about a month from now for submission. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!!

1 hour ago, abhinavsaprey said:

I possess some knowledge in C/C++ and SQL and want to implement the software by connecting my program with MySql.

Then you should be able to start by designing and setting up your database tables and queries. That doesn't require any C++ and it's good to know what your database input/output needs to look like. If you're not familiar with MySql or how to work with it, then there are plenty of tutorials you can find online. Like this for example.

Once you have that, then you can write some functions in C++ that executes the queries you planned out. If you're not familiar with how to do this, then I'm sure you can find a tutorial online. Like this for example.

Note that this information isn't specific to your project. You learn how to work with MySql in C++, then you apply it to your specific project.

You can probably do up all the math functions (for wages and stuff) at this point too. After all, none of this stuff needs to depend on the GUI.

1 hour ago, abhinavsaprey said:

I have watched a number of videos on creating forms application and they mostly consist of calculators and the sort.

That should be all you need to get started on the UI portion. Again, the information doesn't have to be specific to your project. Like the following

• Knowing how to add controls to the UI (example: drag and drop from Visual Studio designer)
  • Knowing how to get input from the controls (example: getting text from a textbox)
  • Knowing how to display output in the controls (example: putting text in a label)
  • Knowing how to work with control events (example: running code on a button click)

Use what you learn from those basic tutorials and apply them to your project. When you run into something that the tutorials didn't cover, then google for that information.

@madknight3 Thanks for the links. I will check those out tommorow. As for the SQL part I have decided the attributes that are going into the database schema and will be creating it soon.

Using C++ functions to carry out the queries is the troubling part of the project. I will check the link you gave and try to figure it out. I saw one or two vids about it too. But seemed way too complicated without the explanation for code. Well, I guess I'm gonna have to get my hands dirty after all, eh?

Will also try and learn the UI designer and coding for buttons etc.

Thanks for the help. Cheers!