Repurposing HTPC to Plex Server + Casual Browser

Gohdan

Backstory for context: I'm moving into a new place with my girlfriend who I lent a PC for HTPC purposes, and she's bringing it.  Currently I use my main PC [i5-6600k] as a Plex Server for my needs, but in the new place I'd like to change that for the sake of freeing up my PC to be turned off at night and also to save on electricity.  The goal is to have a PC [the HTPC/GF PC] in my house hooked up to a small monitor for the main purpose of hosting Plex content but also serving as a casual browsing computer when need be - for this reason, along with my complete lack of experience with Unix/Linux, it'll be running Windows 8 or Windows 10.

However, I've got what I assume are a few problems.  Namely, my motherboard on the incoming GF HTPC only supports 4 SATA ports, one of which will be taken up by the 60GB SSD whose sole purpose would be to host Windows itself and maybe Plex if I can move the media/database files onto one of the slow drives.  Currently the HTPC has three internal HDDs [in addition to the SSD, meaning all 4 SATA ports are filled] plugged into it and one external HDD via USB 3.

Parts for reference:

CPU: i3-3200.  Old processor but apparently its 4200 Passmark score means I *should* be able to do two 1080p Plex streams at once. 

RAM:  DDR3 : 8GB/Kit : PC12800 - hopefully this is enough?

Motherboard GA-H77N-WIFI [1155 chipset, mITX]

Video Card: GTX 650 Ti.  Not unwilling to sacrifice this if needed for the PCI-E port if it means more SATA ports.

Case: BitFenix Prodigy.  I can't remember how many HDD bays are in this but I probably need more.

PSU I can't remember.  i think it's 500W-ish

HDDs 1x 60GB SSD for Windows, 3x 3TB internal HDD, 1x 4TB External HDD that I wouldn't be opposed to shucking if I can make it all internal.

Future Hard Drives [currently in my own PC, to be moved:  1x 5TB Internal HDD, 1x 4TB Internal HDD, 1x 3TB Internal HDD, 1x 4TB External HDD that I also wouldn't be opposed to shucking.  

Drives in Canada are pretty expensive right now too so switching out my 3TB drives for 5TB drives wouldn't be the cheapest thing in the world to do if I can avoid it.

Few questions:

1) Is this adventure worth taking on?  Or am I better suited to spend the money and buy a standalone NAS or something else with 8ish Drive Bays?

2) What's my best route to add more SATA ports?  I've read something about adding some via the PCI-E bay but I don't actually know much about this.

2) Is the i3-3220 legitimately good enough for 2 streams?  I share my Plex Library with some family at the moment but there is generally no more than 1-3 streams going on at a given time, including my own usage.

3) Is there an incentive for using Linux or another OS over Windows if I go down this road?

For whatever it's worth, my setup is [or will be] a Shield TV hooked up to my AV Receiver, 5.1 setup and 60" Plasma TV.  Because of that my files are quite large and almost every HDD I mentioned is pretty much full, downsizing isn't an ideal way to go.  Also, all of the media I use is already ripped so no BluRay drive or other drive is necessary - I can do that from a different PC if/when I want to rip more of my own discs.

I would go with a lightweight Linux distro, Lubuntu for example

Windows does too much shit in the background for no user benefit

if you need that many HDDs, I suggest rebuilding the whole thing

ITX boards ..... limits expandability to none

remove the 650Ti and use the integrated GPU on the i3 and get a PCI-E X4 to SATA 2/3 card

idk