First from Scratch Build Planning

Hey guys first time joining the forums I heard its great here, I was wondering if i could have some input from the wonderful Linus Media Group community.  

My first gaming PC was one bought from best bu, please don't lynch me.  It was a CyberPower PC with these specs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P UEFI Dual Bios

CPU: AMD FX 8350

GPU: MSI GTX 960 2GB

RAM: 2x8GB

HDD: 2 TB Toshiba

PSU: 600 watt 80+ something or another

Price: $1060 USD

This is what I've been running with from 2015 up until 2016 when i needed to swap out the mother board and now when I swapped my 960 for a Gigabyte 1060.  

With the recent release of Ryzen i want to make a new PC this time from scratch, what i want to know is how my planned build looks right now or should i wait for the R5 to drop before I order parts, because this is going to be for gaming not really as a workstation.  I'm open to most suggestions other than the GPU since i plan to use the 1060 in my current rig. My price point is around $1300 USD max because i get paid once a month and have to live off of the rest.

Planned Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/38wGNN

EDIT: Non-4K gaming rig with two Tvs as monitors at the resolution of 1680 x 1050

Edited by Devante0404
Forgotten Information

What is this build being used for? If gaming then what res?

WHY FX

WAIT FOR RYZEN 3\

edit

I NEED TO READ THINGS BEFORE I LOOK AT THE PARTS LIST

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

Just now, Jrock said:

WHY FX

WAIT FOR RYZEN 3\

edit

I NEED TO READ THINGS BEFORE I LOOK AT THE PARTS LIST

YES YOU DO!

3 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

YES YOU DO!

Lol..

Anyways for $1300 you should get a ryzen5 and 8gb or ram.. Keep the rest of the cash and buy a laptop or save for traveling lol

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

If it's just gaming, go for the i7 7700K instead. That PSU is also shite.

You don't need an i7 for gaming.. he would be fine with an i5 7500/7600/k

3 minutes ago, snortings said:

*cough* Ryzen 5 *cough* *cough*

Just now, snortings said:

i7 will last longer. I've been burnt by i5s. 

idk

get a evga g2 psu not the nex as its crap. get 2 sticks of 8gb not one stick of 16gb. also get an ssd bootdrive you will be amazed at how much faster it makes your computer. 

5 minutes ago, snortings said:

Please stop giving out this nonsense advice! At lower res the CPU is very important as there isn't as much stress on GPU. Since like last year more and more games are starting to use the threads of the i7 and it makes a big difference to frame times (not FPS!) which lowers stutter. People are coming here for advice to build new PC's to last 3 years + and saying to use i5 for gaming when DX12 is now starting to roll out aswell is just wrong.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

i7 will last longer. I've been burnt by i5s. 

And this is an example of people been told to buy i5's for gaming

I've got a whole thread in my signature talking about why i7's are now the relevant gaming chips

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

get a evga g2 psu not the nex as its crap. get 2 sticks of 8gb not one stick of 16gb. also get an ssd bootdrive you will be amazed at how much faster it makes your computer. 

I'm getting one 16 GB for if I want to add more ram to run game servers or whatever later along the line.  if i want 64 GB i would have to get rid of the 8 GB sticks and don't have any use for DDR4 Ram around the house because this will be my first DDR4 machine.

Just now, Devante0404 said:

I'm getting one 16 GB for if I want to add more ram to run game servers or whatever later along the line.  if i want 64 GB i would have to get rid of the 8 GB sticks and don't have any use for DDR4 Ram around the house because this will be my first DDR4 machine.

You lose out on dual channel though with one 16Gb stick.

trust me you want dual channel ram. plus you don't need 64gb of ram. 

Just now, mpsparrow said:

You lose out on dual channel though with one 16Gb stick.

But i save money by not having 8 GB stick paperweights 

why do you need 64gb of ram? what in the world are you dong?

I run servers and virtual machines off of my machine just fine with 16GB of memory. In fact I have never used over 12GB of memory on my computer ever. 32GB is a ton of memory and will be plenty for basically anything.

1 minute ago, Devante0404 said:

also make sure you get an ssd boot drive because it would be a shame if your computer was slow just because of the harddrive. 

nothing for

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

why do you need 64gb of ram? what in the world are you dong?

but i dont know if ill get back into photoshop and illustrator or if im going to be running servers for my friends and myself.  even if i only go 32 Gb i would rather have two 16 GB sticks than 4 8GB sticks for upgrade room.  that just-in-case security if you will.

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

trust me you want dual channel ram. plus you don't need 64gb of ram. 

dual channel makes absolutely fucking 0 difference for gaming applications. if he's doing premiere, etc, then it'd be a small boost for essentially free but for gaming it doesn't matter. 

but I do agree, nobody needs 64GB RAM.. except businesses and workstation users.

idk

Personally i dont have problems with HDD drive boot times.  my current computer boots in 1:20 which is fast enought for me.

nothing for

but i dont know if ill get back into photoshop and illustrator or if im going to be running servers for my friends and myself.  even if i only go 32 Gb i would rather have two 16 GB sticks than 4 8GB sticks for upgrade room.  that just-in-case security if you will.

at the cost of running in single channel? either buy 2 16 gb sticks or get 2 8gb sticks

Personally i dont have problems with HDD drive boot times.  my current computer boots in 1:20 which is fast enought for me.

An SSD can boot your computer in 20s. Also are a speed boost when browsing files and whatnot. I would get a 240GB SSD and then use your HDD from that Best Buy computer.

its not about the boot time its about running the computer in general. its pretty cheap to get one and it makes quite a bit of a difference in daily use.