Is the default/canon/official gender for the player character in ME: Andromeda male or female?

Bleedingyamato

When I looked in the customize character option when starting a new game on my PS4 the default gender was male but my brother told me the default was female on his Xbox One version of the game and used the female pop figure as further proof.  

So what I want to know is: is there an "official" gender of the character you play as (Ryder) or is it just whichever you want without either being official/canon?

If possible some proof of the answer would help.  My idiot brother is too stubborn to believe me unless I have more than my word to prove what's true.  

Though I recorded a video with my phone showing that there are 3 options for starting a game: quick start for the male or female Ryder and a customize character option that I showed defaults to male for the player on my PS4 copy but he dismissed it by saying I didn't do the correct thing to get the correct result despite me pointing out that the video proves it defaults to male on my game with no input from me.   

Well. The fact that the default is differnet on both consoles doesnt matter, it could be randomized, but Im on PC and i got male as default, (maybe the xbox one is for girls..... jk jk) looking at the trailers and at the released info to me it looks like the male version of Ryder is the default one. Both are canon as they are brother and sister so have that on mind.

57 minutes ago, Aytex said:

In ME Revelations iirc it's a male

Not sure if you're asking about just Andromeda or the entire ME franchise

Only Andromeda.  In the original trilogy the official Shepard was male I know but I'm trying to find out if there's even an official gender for Ryder or if there isn't one.

54 minutes ago, Tape said:

Well. The fact that the default is differnet on both consoles doesnt matter, it could be randomized, but Im on PC and i got male as default, (maybe the xbox one is for girls..... jk jk) looking at the trailers and at the released info to me it looks like the male version of Ryder is the default one. Both are canon as they are brother and sister so have that on mind.

I went into the customization screen multiple times and it was male every time so at least on PS4 it's not random.  But yes it could be just that Bioware chose to make the default for each console different.  

I'm thinking that since there's two Ryders in the game like you pointed out that there likely isn't an official gender buy rather it's which of them you want do play as unless you make a custom character but even then you're likely still playing as a Ryder just that the first name and apparence are custom.