First work station

2 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

I'm not understanding this right, everyone is saying that the 1700 would be just as good because it can overclocked better, but aren't the 1700X and 1800X just overall better?

Somewhat, but not necessarily worth the price delta, depending on what you do.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

Just now, Ultra_Man52 said:

I'm not understanding this right, everyone is saying that the 1700 would be just as good because it can overclocked better, but aren't the 1700X and 1800X just overall better?

they are the same chip essentially. they all have a hard limit at around 4.0 ghz and cant really overclock higher unless you get really lucky. the problem is thermals and voltages go out of control after 4.0 ghz regarless of what r7 chip you get. so most people get the r7 1700 as it is quite cheaper and will perform basically the same as the other two cpus. 

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

if they went with 4 dims of ram you would get much lower memory speeds. as for the reaching 3.8 on stock coolers i would say that is way to optimistic. after 3.7ghz the voltage increase to keep the cpu stable is quite a bit and it would likely thermal throttle. most likely if you went with the stock cooler you would running it at 3.7 on all cores. 

2x16gb RAM ;)

9 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

I'm not very familiar with RAID anything, what kind of performance gains are there? Also, is m.2 really THAT much faster than a normal SSD?

There are different types of RAID, the one I'm referring to, RAID1, mirrors the data between the two hard drives. Theoretically you would also get double the performance (though in reality that's not always the case), but the main advantage is that if one drive fails you don't lose all your data but it's still there. I was just thinking that unless the videos are all stored on a server you might want to consider that.

Normally, for booting up and launching applications, there's next to zero difference between an m.2 SSD and SATA SSD, but when doing large file transfers/saves and whatnot (as you might need to do when transferring videos, saving videos, etc.) it can make a difference. As you can see here, there is about a 3-4 times increase from a SATA SSD to a 960 pro in these types of workloads.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Basically the only difference between the 3 CPUs is clock speeds. However, all three CPUs can overclock to about the same frequencies. Out of the box, yes, the 1800x and 1700x are better, but once you overclock them because they overclock to about the same frequencies they perform extremely similarly. A 4ghz 1700 and 4ghz 1800x would perform identically, so since they overclock very similarly, when looking at Ryzen CPUs the 1700 is the only one I ever recommend.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

Basically the only difference between the 3 CPUs is clock speeds. However, all three CPUs can overclock to about the same frequencies. Out of the box, yes, the 1800x and 1700x are better, but once you overclock them because they overclock to about the same frequencies they perform extremely similarly. A 4ghz 1700 and 4ghz 1800x would perform identically, so since they overclock very similarly, when looking at Ryzen CPUs the 1700 is the only one I ever recommend.

plus its very impractical  to not to overclock the r7 series cpus as you will only be running the base clock on all cores and you will only see the boost clock on 1 to 2 cores meaning a r7 1800x would be running at 3.6 on call cores when anyone can overclock their r7 chips to 3.7 on all cores with relatively low voltages and thermals. i can run my r7 1700 at 3.7 on all cores at a vcore of 1.1875v and it runs quit cool as a result. 

45 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

2x16gb RAM ;)

There are different types of RAID, the one I'm referring to, RAID1, mirrors the data between the two hard drives. Theoretically you would also get double the performance (though in reality that's not always the case), but the main advantage is that if one drive fails you don't lose all your data but it's still there. I was just thinking that unless the videos are all stored on a server you might want to consider that.

Normally, for booting up and launching applications, there's next to zero difference between an m.2 SSD and SATA SSD, but when doing large file transfers/saves and whatnot (as you might need to do when transferring videos, saving videos, etc.) it can make a difference. As you can see here, there is about a 3-4 times increase from a SATA SSD to a 960 pro in these types of workloads.

So what would it be best to do? One big m.2? One big sata SSD? 2 hard drives in raid 1?

You can save like 30-40$ by going with a Biostar X370 motherboard

1 hour ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Hey everyone! My dad runs his own video filming and editing company and he is in the market for a new work station. I've never planned a build for a work station but I came up with this. Any problems with it?

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zks24C
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zks24C/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($496.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Jet) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($162.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($30.00) 
Monitor: Asus PB287Q 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($351.83 @ Jet) 
Other: AM4 Bracket ($5.00)
Total: $2364.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 11:48 EDT-0400

This build is waaay too similar to my build... ONLY differences is the CPU, GPU and case...

I went for a ryzen r5, and a cheaper  gpu (case is mostly preferance, but I like the define S as well)

So yeah, I can't see anything wrong with this build, except maybe the PSU. If you're planning to overclock, you might want to get 750W (but you don't have to)

1 minute ago, NewAndy said:

This build is waaay too similar to my build... ONLY differences is the CPU, GPU and case...

I went for a ryzen r5, and a cheaper  gpu (case is mostly preferance, but I like the define S as well)

So yeah, I can't see anything wrong with this build, except maybe the PSU. If you're planning to overclock, you might want to get 750W (but you don't have to)

ryzen 5 isn't even out yet...

Image result for fry from futurama meme

37 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Ok everyone I found out what he uses and he uses primarily adobe creative cloud, pretty underwhelming, does he really need a good computer for that?

@deXxterlab97 @Brooksie359 @DocSwag

I have no idea but guess something like an i7 can do ok

7 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

ryzen 5 isn't even out yet...

Image result for fry from futurama meme

I know, but we know everything about it (except the benchmarks) including clock speed and price, so you can plan your build now if you want. (If it's not what you'd expect, just get a Ryzen R7 1700 or intel i5 7600k)

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I have no idea but guess something like an i7 can do ok

But at that point you might as well get the r7 1700

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

But at that point you might as well get the r7 1700

Like a cheap i7 non overclockable on a cheap h110?

1 minute ago, NewAndy said:

I know, but we know everything about it (except the benchmarks) including clock speed and price, so you can plan your build now if you want. (If it's not what you'd expect, just get a Ryzen R7 1700 or intel i5 7600k)

The way you said it made it seem like you had already built the computer. If it's just a planned build you should have said so. 

43 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Ok everyone I found out what he uses and he uses primarily adobe creative cloud, pretty underwhelming, does he really need a good computer for that?

@deXxterlab97 @Brooksie359 @DocSwag

Do you know specifically what parts of it he uses? Premier takes good use of multiple cores so that would work.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Like a cheap i7 non overclockable on a cheap h110?

Yeah I guess. But the r7 1700 would be better for further proof if they end up going into some more intense video editing software and the price difference is quite little. Both have stock cooler and you could still over clock with a 100 dollar motherboard which is well worth the extra 50 bucks on top of the other features you get with a b350 motherboard. 

54 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

So what would it be best to do? One big m.2? One big sata SSD? 2 hard drives in raid 1?

Probably m.2+HDD if he needs a lot of storage. m.2 should be added because it has a lot of advantages for workstations. If you want, maybe m.2+SATA would be a good idea if you can afford it.

EDIT: Though since the other drive would be for mass storage I'd say that an HDD is probably fine.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Probably m.2+HDD if he needs a lot of storage. m.2 should be added because it has a lot of advantages for workstations. If you want, maybe m.2+SATA would be a good idea if you can afford it.

EDIT: Though since the other drive would be for mass storage I'd say that an HDD is probably fine.

Is this m.2 any good? It's a 1TB and pretty cheap, but that seems weird. The 960 m.2 is really expensive, and it would save money and time to put it all on one drive

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DwgPxr/intel-600p-series-1tb-m2-2260-solid-state-drive-ssdpekkw010t7x1

5 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Is this m.2 any good? It's a 1TB and pretty cheap, but that seems weird. The 960 m.2 is really expensive, and it would save money and time to put it all on one drive

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DwgPxr/intel-600p-series-1tb-m2-2260-solid-state-drive-ssdpekkw010t7x1

Eh, it's not really that good. The 960 evo is only a little more expensive and is vastly faster. If I were you I would stick to the 960 evo or 960 pro.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Eh, it's not really that good. The 960 evo is only a little more expensive and is vastly faster. If I were you I would stick to the 960 evo or 960 pro.

Is the 960 evo acceptable? Or just 960 pro?

2 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

just get the evo. pro versions usually are overpriced and don't add much. 

1 hour ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Evo is probably fine. The Pro has MLC flash instead of TLC flash (more endurance and noticeably better write speeds) and a 5 year warranty vs 3 years and performs max about 20% better. Honestly up to you, if you wanna go all out then get the pro, though evo is most likely fine.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

Evo is probably fine. The Pro has MLC flash instead of TLC flash (more endurance and noticeably better write speeds) and a 5 year warranty vs 3 years and performs max about 20% better. Honestly up to you, if you wanna go all out then get the pro, though evo is most likely fine.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TWFqk
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TWFqk/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($326.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($178.98 @ Directron) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($215.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($698.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG 27UD68-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2527.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 19:00 EDT-0400

Alright, I hope this can be the last one I have to put together. Anyone have a problem with this besides case, aftermarket 1080 Ti, and H100i?

2 hours ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TWFqk
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3TWFqk/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($326.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($178.98 @ Directron) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($215.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($77.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Monitor: LG 27UD68-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($449.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $2527.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-21 19:00 EDT-0400

Alright, I hope this can be the last one I have to put together. Anyone have a problem with this besides case, aftermarket 1080 Ti, and H100i?

PSU's not the best, I would switch it to a G2 or G3 variant (this one is G1). Otherwise looks great (except maybe you should get two hard drives and put them in RAID1, but I don't know how your dad stores stuff so it might not be necessary). Also, you might want to consider changing the RAM to faster speeds like 3000 MHz or so as memory bandwidth might help, it can also sometimes improve performance of Ryzen, and it doesn't really cost any bit extra. Pretty sure you can get 3000 MHz 2x16gb sticks for about the same price.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler