Seagate Desktop HDD.15 ST4000DM000 4TB

Turkatron

Sup /g/uys. My WD Green 2TB is failing (already lost data but I can get it back later). So I was thinking of getting this as my main download drive and when my green drive gets replaced under my RMA to use that as an offline backup so I won't lose data again. I'm wondering how many platters this drive has. I think it runs at 5900RPM if I'm not mistaken? I don't have a NAS or need to RAID atm due to a budget. Currently I see this drive has a promo code.

Anyone have experience with this drive? I plan to use this drive for media storage and my computer generally stays on all day so I was questioning how this drive might pair up for 24/7 operation over WD's Red NAS drives.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

did you just 4chan us to /g/?

Yep.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

A WD Red is perfect for running backup and in RAID configs

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

A WD Red is perfect for running backup and in RAID configs

No plans for a raid / actual NAS atm. Just prefer a drive that is better suited for 24/7 use. I was debating over the WD Red or maybe just this drive because of the promo and the storage.

I run 10 of these drives and I've only had one fail in the entire time I've had them (maybe 6 months or so?). It was one of those early failures within the first few weeks that I believe is common to any new drive.

I personally do not care about 24/7 validation or high IO specifications of any kind for general home storage - instead I recommend buying multiple of the cheapest drives and running them in redundant configuration.

You won't be disappointed.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

They're pretty damn good. Our school uses some of them for our network storage.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)