Best Intel upgrade for the price?

Go to solution Solved by p1ng,
8 hours ago, stealth80 said:

if you wanna overclock go with a 7700k - however you will need to update the bios on your board prior to removing your CPU, if you don't wanna overclock grab a 7700 (you will still need to update bios)

Wait, why do I need to update BIOS?

My PC is running a GTX 980 with an i5-6500. I am thinking about upgrading my CPU, but i don't know what to upgrade which is best for the money. I mainly use it for gaming, but i would like to get into video editing too. Thanks in advance :)

if you wanna overclock go with a 7700k - however you will need to update the bios on your board prior to removing your CPU, if you don't wanna overclock grab a 7700 (you will still need to update bios)

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

If you plan to edit videos etc. Then I would recommend an i7 7700(K) or Ryzen 7 1700(X). If you plan to only game on your computer then your i5 is just fine or you can upgrade to the i5 7600(K).

i5 for gaming. i7 for future proof.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

6 hours ago, stealth80 said:

11 minutes ago, p1ng said:

to make your motherboard support a newer chip  ( i think everyone is assuming you have an older motherboard as it's not listed)

1 hour ago, p1ng said:

1 hour ago, SilentXer0 said:

to make your motherboard support a newer chip  ( i think everyone is assuming you have an older motherboard as it's not listed)

I'm assuming you have a h170 board (as you currently have a 6500), if you wanna use the 7700 it will need an update, if you wanna use a 7700k and overclock it, you're gonna need a z series board

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

8 hours ago, stealth80 said:

13 minutes ago, p1ng said:

Because the Z170 board was released prior to the 7700K so it needs to be updated to recognise the CPU and you need to do it with your current CPU as you cant do it with a CPU it doesnt recognise

Ryzen Ram Guide

19 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Because the Z170 board was released prior to the 7700K so it needs to be updated to recognise the CPU and you need to do it with your current CPU as you cant do it with a CPU it doesnt recognise

Ok, Thanks a lot for the help :)