Should I keep my Ryzen 1700 after my Asus B350-Plus decided to rape it with voltage?

TL;DR Asus auto overclock set CPU voltage of my 1700 at over 1.55V at load making it hit TJ max and shutdown under load, this happened maybe 5-10 times overall while I was trying to clock the CPU.

Hey. I went and got an R7 1700 and an Asus B350-Plus on friday when the 1700s arrived at my local reseller. I only got the Asus board instead of some other board because it was the only B350 the retailer had available. I used my old Hyper 212 Evo with the new AM4 mounting bracket and new thermal paste. I cleaned the old off with isopropyl alcohol wipes that came with the new thermal paste.

So I got the CPU instllaed and started testing it out. The Asus motherboard had some automatic overclocking feature that I decided to try out. Once I turned this option on the computer restarted a few times and after that there was an "overclocking failed, press F2 to enter setup" screen, I assumed that the motherboard hadn't been able to overclock for some reason and had reverted back to normal settings.

Well then I got to trying to get the clocks a little higher than the base 3Ghz. I downloaded and installed Ryzen master and it showed my CPU at 3Ghz and default voltage. Well I tried brining the CPU to the 3700Mhz clock that it's supposed to boost to but for some reason didn't even while I tried to stress it. When I stressed te CPU with Prime95 small FFT the computer kept shutting down. I thought this was odd since I didn't really overclock the CPU at all, just set the clocks at the

default boost clock of the CPU. 

The computer kept crashing after a minute or two with a simple small FFT test. I thought there might be some problem with the vlotage being too low so I decicded to try and bumb it up a little in Ryzen master. But even so the system kept crashing. The temps in Ryzen master seemed really high, but I had heard of there being temp reading problems with Ryzen and I had the voltage way below 1.4V so I wasn't worried. Well after a while I opened the utility software that was a part of the driver/software installations for the motherboard and I noticed it was giving me different CPU temps than Ryzen master, but they were also unhealthily high at load, like I mean 80-95C with the fan at max speed. All the while the Ryzen master told me the CPU voltage was at under 1.4V

Well I got suspicios of the voltage once I noticed that next to the temp reading in the Asus utility there was a CPU Vcore reading, and under load it was over 1.5V and at idle it was around 1.45V. At this point it all clicked and I realized that the motherboard has set the voltage waaaayyy too high and that the crashing that's been happening has actually been the CPU temps hitting TJ max and shutting down the system to protect itself.

I could return the CPU because of the 30 day return policy of the retailer (I think it's also law here in Finland) and buy another one from another retailer. The CPU works fine but I fear that the longevity of it, especially if I'd want to overclock it has been compromised having it running at higher than 1.5V and hitting TJ max multiple times.

I'm gonna make a really angry phone call to the support of Asus about this, because the CPU definitely isn't desinged to be ran at over 1.5V at load and because the CPU overclocking said overclock failed but still seemed to want to take control of the voltage.

Maybe Asus could help me because I could easily provide them with video proof of the fact that the MoBo overvolts the CPU to 1.5V+ even at 3700Mhz. If Asus can't help me with the MoBo and/or CPU I'm gonna at least return the MoBo to the retailer since the BIOS and boot time, and the software are really lackluster in my opinion. But I don't know what to do with the CPU if Asus can't help me, I wouldn't want to keep a CPU that had been raped by the motherboard like mine has, but then returning it to the retailer would mean that it will most likely end up in another customers hands who might get a CPU with decreased lifespan because of me.

I don't really know what to do since this really isn't a problem with the CPU itself and it's completely possible that the CPU will run fine for years to come, so AMD or the retailer probably wouldn't help me, and don't have any obligation to do so. The Asus BIOS is really what's caused this whole problem, but I don't know if they could agree to replace my CPU, I don't even know if there's any need for that.

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

yeah that sounds really dumb. i know i realized the voltages in ryzen master were off form what they actually are so i always use cpuz to monitor frequency and voltages. 

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

yeah that sounds really dumb. i know i realized the voltages in ryzen master were off form what they actually are so i always use cpuz to monitor frequency and voltages. 

And it's not like I'd really mind if the voltages had been something like 1.4V at load or so, but they were over 1.5V on 3700Mhz at load (I think I saw it at 1.55V at some point, not sure though) which is way beyond the voltages that AMD reccomend or that anyone would've ever clocked this CPU with, except for some pro overclockers with NH2, but I'm not them and they haven't had their CPUs reach TJ max.

Main rig:

• Ryzen 3600X • X370 Killer SLI • 16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz • Strix 1070ti • Define R5 • SuperNova 750 G2 • Evo 1TB + X300 4TB •

Secondary rig:

• Acer prebuilt • Rzyen 1700X (upgraded) • OEM 1060 3GB • 256GB SSD + 1TB Seagate (upgraded) •

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

yeah mine hit 3.7 on all cores at a vcore of 1.875v so idk why it had yours go to 1.5v

You mean 1.0875v or how has your CPU and socket not fried already?

Main rig:

Secondary rig:

3 minutes ago, Tundral said:

You mean 1.0875v or how has your CPU and socket not fried already?

1.1875v lol

6 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

1.1875v lol

Yeah, and my B350-Plus decides that 1.5V+ is just ok to have the CPU running at while under load

Main rig:

Secondary rig: