Trying to revive my old laptop

kamesh

hi all,

I have a Dell N5110 and I'm trying to revive it by giving it a SSD upgrade.

I'm not able to decide if I should replace my entire HDD with an SSD or jut buy a ~100GB SSD and use a optical bay caddy.

My motherboard supports Sata 3 (checked in SiSoftware Sandra) , so if i choose to use an optical bay hdd caddy will I get the full benefits of SATA 3 or will the caddy bottleneck it??

Depends on wether you wish to use the optical drive, of not then id keep both just for extra space. There shouldn't be any bottlenecks.

2 minutes ago, kamesh said:

hi all,

I have a Dell N5110 and I'm trying to revive it by giving it a SSD upgrade.

I'm not able to decide if I should replace my entire HDD with an SSD or jut buy a ~100GB SSD and use a optical bay caddy.

My motherboard supports Sata 3 (checked in SiSoftware Sandra) , so if i choose to use an optical bay hdd caddy will I get the full benefits of SATA 3 or will the caddy bottleneck it??

it depends how much you are willing to spend. looking at that laptop, one of the reasons its slow is not the hard drive, but the cpu. If you are trying to do more than use this as some sort of chromebook type laptop i would just get a new one. You can get some cheap laptops that are good for business use or college use for a little bit more than that ssd upgrade. I got a 14" dell e6430 for $160 that has 8gb of ram and an i5 3340m. this is just my personal opinion so take it any way you want too

10 minutes ago, D14RAP said:

Depends on wether you wish to use the optical drive, of not then id keep both just for extra space. There shouldn't be any bottlenecks.

Any recommendations for the caddy?