Upgrading Audio! (LF Assistance)

NinJake

Ok, for the past few years I've been rocking some cheap $50.00 computer speakers with a tiny subwoofer. I browse newegg's daily deals almost every day, but today I found this. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290130&cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P5_82-290-130-_-03162017

It's a 68% off 12 inch sub! Holy smokes!

I've been wanting to upgrade my computer sound system for a while now, but it's more intimidating than building my PC to be honest. If I were to get any type of subwoofer, not that one in particular... what would be recommended for speakers (bookshelf) and how would I go about setting everything up to my PC properly.

Side note: I don't think I'd want 5.1, 2.1 suits me just fine but the option to potentially go 5.1 in the future wouldn't hurt.

Thank you, LTT audiophiles for any advice you have to offer!

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

It's a 68% off 12 inch sub! Holy smokes!

12 INCH SUB? IT'S A FOOT LONG! (Subway joke)

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

Also... if it's any help, since this will be for my PC and not a home theater system. Would it be better to look for some sort of actively powered system where all the speakers plug into the sub and powers it that way?

I'm all ears for different types of solutions... Also kind of hoping @SSL will be able to chime in some opinions!

That seems like a good price for that sub, which looks decent.

Do you have a total budget and are you considering speakers at this time as well?

Just now, SSL said:

Do you have a total budget and are you considering speakers at this time as well?

Well thankfully it's tax returns season! Heh...

Anyways. If I were to go and drop nearly 200 for a sub, I'd like to be able to pick up speakers (I have enough space for bookshelves)  I wouldn't want to cheap out on those either. I'm thinking another 200 for speakers themselves? 300 would probably be max.

I also have this feeling that I need a receiver to power these? I know those aren't cheap, and while that total of 500 for everything would be preferable, I wouldn't mind taking money out of my next few checks to get everything set up appropriately.

~500-600 would be awesome, but I could order a few things and pick up a receiver later if need be.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Well thankfully it's tax returns season! Heh...

Anyways. If I were to go and drop nearly 200 for a sub, I'd like to be able to pick up speakers (I have enough space for bookshelves)  I wouldn't want to cheap out on those either. I'm thinking another 200 for speakers themselves? 300 would probably be max.

I also have this feeling that I need a receiver to power these? I know those aren't cheap, and while that total of 500 for everything would be preferable, I wouldn't mind taking money out of my next few checks to get everything set up appropriately.

~500-600 would be awesome, but I could order a few things and pick up a receiver later if need be.

The thing is, I almost want to say skip the sub and just go with something like the Vanatoo Transparent Ones. These are powered speakers that can just hook up right to your PC with USB and they go pretty low in the bass. A large sub can be fun, but it's almost wasted with a desktop audio setup - you can get a lot of bass gain out of good desktop speakers if you position them closer to the walls.

The T1s are $500 a pair and have a dedicated sub out if you want to add one later.

Ok, I'll keep this in consideration.

My use cases are random gaming, watching movies and listening to music. As for genres, I don't mind some EDM music as well as lo-fi hip hop and anything even to metal/jazz music.

Give the song "contemplation" by Toonorth a listen for an example, and do you think the T1s will accurately depict the music?

One of the reasons I've wanted a sub, when I was a youngin, my aunts boyfriend at the time gave me a nice system with a 8-12 inch woofer and surround speakers. I used them in a 2.1 configuration and I loved the sound, however the inputs got damaged into the sub and it no longer accepted power. I also have a 12inch sub in my car and I like to mess around with FL studio just for fun, and I feel like it would be more accurate to have a 12 inch sub? I may be totally wrong, and the idea of having those USB T1s is appealing. I'm just hoping they cover a good sound stage for my uses. (Which is very broad, and I know "you can't have it all")

Thanks again!

The T1 still destroy most speakers at or below $200, to say nothing of your typical PC/desktop speaker. Everyone who has purchased them on my recommendation has been very impressed. These speakers have internal DSP, which means that they measure absurdly flat for the price (which is a good thing for accuracy). If flat isn't to your taste, the DSP has physical tone controls on the back of the speaker.

A large sub will certainly allow for more extended response on the low end, assuming it is a quality sub, but the T1s already dig down to nearly 40Hz; I seriously doubt that Polk sub can do better than 25-30 Hz, so you'd gain less than an octave of extra response with it.

7 minutes ago, SSL said:

the DSP has physical tone controls on the back of the speaker.

I love being able to twist and turn hardware knobs! (Opposed to software EQ and what not) I'm now 95% leaning towards the T1's.  Going to do more research on them once I'm off work.

Ok, I've been reading up reviews and comparing apples to apples of other speakers. If these are 500 and lets say the "Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System" on amazon are 149.99... What would some of the major drawbacks be?

Also, I have read a few things about the T1s distorting at louder volumes? I don't always play loud music, but there are definitely times where I don't mind jamming out for a bit haha... Any idea why people would claim that they distort?

Also, if I am currently using the 5.1 Logitech x-530 for my desktop (only using 2.1) how would that compare to the T1?

I think once I'm off work tomorrow, I'll see if I can find a local home theater store to test some speakers out... I doubt they have the T1s but I guess Amazon has a 30 day return period for a reason. I'm sad more people haven't been able to chime in any recommendations here, but you ( @SSL ) seem to be one of the most knowledgeable audio gurus here.

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

And will everything work alright if I do pick up https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B01JHMFM6S?th=1, and plug that into the sub-out of the Vanatoo T1s?

Sorry, lots of questions lol.

yep, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

14 hours ago, NinJake said:

If these are 500 and lets say the "Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System" on amazon are 149.99... What would some of the major drawbacks be?

I don't understand the question. You mean what are the major drawbacks to the T1s? The price, I guess?

Also, I have read a few things about the T1s distorting at louder volumes?

You'll have to give me a specific link to a review where that happens, because I can't find any indication that distortion is a problem when the speakers are used properly.

Also, if I am currently using the 5.1 Logitech x-530 for my desktop (only using 2.1) how would that compare to the T1?

These will crush anything from logitech, except maybe the discontinued z2300. Let's make that fucking clear.

2 hours ago, NinJake said:

And will everything work alright if I do pick up https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-12-Inch-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B01JHMFM6S?th=1, and plug that into the sub-out of the Vanatoo T1s?

Of course.

36 minutes ago, SSL said:

I don't understand the question. You mean what are the major drawbacks to the T1s? The price, I guess?

No, what is usually the difference between a 300 dollar set of speakers compared to the 500 dollar T1s.

(Like is the clarity of the T1s "like the difference of night and day" compared to the cheaper klipsche?)

39 minutes ago, SSL said:

These will crush anything from logitech

This is what I needed to hear. (even though you stated once before)

I will look to see where I saw those reviews of distortion and get back to you.

Another quick question is, do I really need to have these set up at ear level, or would sitting them on my desk suffice? (I have no problems making stands if need be)

Update: After browsing through reviews I have not found much information regarding the "distortion". Even if I did, it was due to people testing these speakers in much larger environments than I will use these for, and trying to fill up huge basements or living rooms with sound. (Mine would be in a bedroom, which I read these are perfect for)

I'm not going to go looking through the amazon or newegg reviews right now (at work), but that's more than likely where I saw people comment on the distortion.

Update: After browsing through reviews I have not found much information regarding the "distortion". Even if I did, it was due to people testing these speakers in much larger environments than I will use these for, and trying to fill up huge basements or living rooms with sound. (Mine would be in a bedroom, which I read these are perfect for)

I'm not going to go looking through the amazon or newegg reviews right now (at work), but that's more than likely where I saw people comment on the distortion.

Probably. Getting high SPL nearfield is not difficult.

No, what is usually the difference between a 300 dollar set of speakers compared to the 500 dollar T1s.

(Like is the clarity of the T1s "like the difference of night and day" compared to the cheaper klipsche?)

Flatter response. This might sound "boring", but it generally means better clarity and detail. The T1 also employs a passive radiator design to extend bass response, instead of a bass reflex port, which has a number of technical advantages - smaller size enclosure for a given response, better damping, etc. It also assists with keeping the response flat and accurate. Plus you don't have to deal with port noise. And yes, the Klipsch 2.1 system above employs bass reflex on the sub.