Why is PS Now so demanding

IAmAndre

Hi,

I just found out about PS Now and I'm very excited about it. I've always wanted to play games like Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Tekken or Army of Two. However, as a PC gamer, the only use case possible would be playing on my tablet when I'm travelling, since I already have all the non-PS exclusives on Steam. Now since it's just a streaming service, and there's no encoding whatsoever going on, and the games are rendered at 720p, why are the system requirements this high? They ask for a core i3 or an AMD A10, which seems like a lot to play a video. Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

I just found out about PS Now and I'm very excited about it. I've always wanted to play games like Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Uncharted, Tekken or Army of Two. However, as a PC gamer, the only use case possible would be playing on my tablet when I'm travelling, since I already have all the non-PS exclusives on Steam. Now since it's just a streaming service, and there's no encoding whatsoever going on, and the games are rendered in 720p, why are the system requirements this high? They ask for a core i3 or an AMD A10, which seems like a lot to play a video. Any idea what's causing this?

Thanks

That is not demanding.

They ask i3 and A10 because they already have integrated graphics. But almost anything will work.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

That is not demanding.

They ask i3 and A10 because they already have integrated graphics. But almost anything will work.

Well Atom CPU's have iGPUs too. Do you think it would work?

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

Well Atom CPU's have iGPUs too. Do you think it would work?

Anything that is powerful enough to seamlessly stream video on Windows will work. Yes.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Anything that is powerful enough to seamlessly stream video on Windows will work. Yes.

Interesting. Can't wait to try it on my tablet then.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Interesting. Can't wait to try it on my tablet then.

Just a question. Isn't PS4 controller requirement? Or will the games work with any controller? I am not sure. I would like to try that service one day too.

12 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Just a question. Isn't PS4 controller requirement? Or will the games work with any controller? I am not sure. I would like to try that service one day too.

No, it's just recommended. I play with a 360 controller.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Just now, christianled59 said:

No, it's just recommended. I play with a 360 controller.

Good to know. I have read somewhere that PS4 controller is a requirement, that might not have been a good source. I was not completely sure.

They say its a requirement so you have to buy their own products. Its common slickster style what companies do.