XPS 15 9560 Wireless Issue

Yiz

I am experiencing an issue where connection is dropping on my XPS 15 9560 (i5, 256gb, 8GB, 4k) which I've had not even a week. It seems that the farther I'm away from my router the worse the small dropouts occur. But the problem isn't with the distance or my router because my tablet, phone, 7 year old asus laptop, and my desktop do not experience any drops at the same distance. In normal web browsing it is not a big issue since a webpage might buffer an extra second to two seconds. This issue is most pertinent in live streams however where constant connection is required and I experience constant buffering regardless of quality setting. I have also tried chrome and edge, both behave the same.

What I have tried; 

Updating Intel HD 630 graphics, updating GTX 1050 drivers, updating killer wireless 1535 drivers, updating dell bios, setting all options in windows power settings to max performance, reinstalling windows. 

Most strange of all is that I tried a netgear WNA3100 wireless adapter and experienced the same issue, but when I used the adapter on my desktop it worked completely fine. My only guess is that something besides the actual network card is causing issues with the connection, I just don't know and it is incredibly frustrating that I cannot find the issue. Should I try contacting dell, or should I buy an intel wireless card despite the fact that I experience issues with an external adapter anyway? Or maybe I should try getting a different router despite the fact that all my other devices work without any issue at any range in my house. I just don't know. Any suggestions at all would be helpful.

3 minutes ago, Yiz said:

I am experiencing an issue where connection is dropping on my XPS 15 9560 (i5, 256gb, 8GB, 4k) which I've had not even a week. It seems that the farther I'm away from my router the worse the small dropouts occur. But the problem isn't with the distance or my router because my tablet, phone, 7 year old asus laptop, and my desktop do not experience any drops at the same distance. In normal web browsing it is not a big issue since a webpage might buffer an extra second to two seconds. This issue is most pertinent in live streams however where constant connection is required and I experience constant buffering regardless of quality setting. I have also tried chrome and edge, both behave the same.

What I have tried; 

Updating Intel HD 630 graphics, updating GTX 1050 drivers, updating killer wireless 1535 drivers, updating dell bios, setting all options in windows power settings to max performance, reinstalling windows. 

Most strange of all is that I tried a netgear WNA3100 wireless adapter and experienced the same issue, but when I used the adapter on my desktop it worked completely fine. My only guess is that something besides the actual network card is causing issues with the connection, I just don't know and it is incredibly frustrating that I cannot find the issue. Should I try contacting dell, or should I buy an intel wireless card despite the fact that I experience issues with an external adapter anyway? Or maybe I should try getting a different router despite the fact that all my other devices work without any issue at any range in my house. I just don't know. Any suggestions at all would be helpful.

Got an Andriod phone?

Download wifi analyser and wonder round the house and see how strong the signal is and see if there are any other signals that may be interfering with the signal 

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Just now, astrosheen said:

Got an Andriod phone?

Download wifi analyser and wonder round the house and see how strong the signal is and see if there are any other signals that may be interfering with the signal 

Thanks, I'll give that a go now.

4 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

Got an Andriod phone?

Okay, so going around my house the signal is at -65 sitting at my desktop, going right next to the router I'm getting -30, and in my bedroom I get about -35. I've experienced the drops in my bedroom quite a few times, the most at have been at my desktop when I have my XPS next to me, and I've even experienced them a few times when I had my XPS right next to the router. The only other signal I'm receiving is xfinitywifi which was the same strength as my main wifi signal and this connection signal has been there since comcast installed our internet. All the way at -90 is what I'm guessing is my neighbors wifi signal too.

2 minutes ago, Yiz said:

Okay, so going around my house the signal is at -65 sitting at my desktop, going right next to the router I'm getting -30, and in my bedroom I get about -35. I've experienced the drops in my bedroom quite a few times, the most at have been at my desktop when I have my XPS next to me, and I've even experienced them a few times when I had my XPS right next to the router. The only other signal I'm receiving is xfinitywifi which was the same strength as my main wifi signal and this connection signal has been there since comcast installed our internet. All the way at -90 is what I'm guessing is my neighbors wifi signal too.

mmmmm what sort of wireless router have you got? 

Have other devices kept connection while the laptop lost connection?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

4 minutes ago, astrosheen said:

mmmmm what sort of wireless router have you got? 

Have other devices kept connection while the laptop lost connection?

My router is the TG862, I guess it's technically a gateway/router thingy.... not sure the exact tech names for this stuff; http://surfboard.com/products/tg862/

So when I was at my desktop, I had my dad's old 7 year old Asus laptop sitting right next to the XPS. Both were running a twitch live stream and the XPS would buffer constantly while the asus didn't. I also had my Ipad run the stream and my G2 run the stream at the same distance and none of them buffered at all. And like I said, I took the wireless adapter and tried it for the XPS and disabled the integrated killer wireless card and it didn't help at all. I also put the adapter in the Asus laptop and my desktop and both of them worked fine with no buffering while using the adapter. 

2 minutes ago, Yiz said:

My router is the TG862, I guess it's technically a gateway/router thingy.... not sure the exact tech names for this stuff; http://surfboard.com/products/tg862/

So when I was at my desktop, I had my dad's old 7 year old Asus laptop sitting right next to the XPS. Both were running a twitch live stream and the XPS would buffer constantly while the asus didn't. I also had my Ipad run the stream and my G2 run the stream at the same distance and none of them buffered at all. And like I said, I took the wireless adapter and tried it for the XPS and disabled the integrated killer wireless card and it didn't help at all. I also put the adapter in the Asus laptop and my desktop and both of them worked fine with no buffering while using the adapter. 

Alrighty.

that's are far as I can help you unless someone else here is able to help further,  get in touch with dell and see what they have to say

1 minute ago, astrosheen said:

Alrighty.

that's are far as I can help you unless someone else here is able to help further,  get in touch with dell and see what they have to say

Thanks for trying!