Modding 2 x 6 Pin PCI-E Into Single 8 Pin?

FirstArmada
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

The SENSE wires are connected directly to GROUND in the power supply (the black wires in the connectors).

If you wanted to, you could grab a soldering iron and solder a wire across all those non-12v pins in the PCI-E connector on the video card and then you'd be able to plug your 6pin pci-e connector in the 8 pin connector and it would work just fine.

The video card basically does this:

Is a connection to ground on Sense A pin ? If yes, we have at least a 6pin connector plugged in, so we're allowed to take up to 75w through this connector.

Is there also a connection to ground on Sense B?  If yes, that means we can take up to 150 watts through this connector.

Some video card manufacturers had this idea in mind to use same base design with a 6pin pci-e connector and block overclocking of the video card, and release same design with 8pin pci-e connector and enable overclocking for more profit ... that's the whole idea behind these separate sense pins. 

When the standard was made, PSU manufacturers wanted to make connectors with 4 ground and 4 12v wires but they had to compromise when some video card manufacturers wanted this.  (oh and another minor reason for refusal was similarity with eps, they hoped black wires on one end would prevent confusion)

pinout-pcie.png

Modding 2 x 6pin into a single 8pin

So silly me didn't realize the GPU i just ordered requires a single 8pin and i only have 2 6pins on my PSU

Here is my PSU

Spoiler

Image result for dell xps 8700 psu

Its a 460W from Delta Electronics with the following ratings

Spoiler

Image result for xps 8700 psu

I have measured its output and its given ratings are true.

My question is since the 2 x 6pin connectors in question come off of the same 6 wires in theory the wire should be rated to handle 150W aka 8 pin spec, so i should be able to plug the 6 pin in the left side of the 8pin and than cut 2 grounds off of the second 6 pin and use those no?

You can just buy adapters.

Heck, 99% of GPU's have them included for free

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

Just now, DrEVILish said:

In theory this should work but i have already ordered one of those in case but it will be a week till it gets here 

2 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Modding 2 x 6pin into a single 8pin

So silly me didn't realize the GPU i just ordered requires a single 8pin and i only have 2 6pins on my PSU

Here is my PSU

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for dell xps 8700 psu

Its a 460W from Delta Electronics with the following ratings

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for xps 8700 psu

I have measured its output and its given ratings are true.

My question is since the 2 x 6pin connectors in question come off of the same 6 wires in theory the wire should be rated to handle 150W aka 8 pin spec, so i should be able to plug the 6 pin in the left side of the 8pin and than cut 2 grounds off of the second 6 pin and use those no?

What gpu. Usually they come with 2 6 pin to single 8 pin for this very reason.

It  should be included in the "What's in the box" section of the product description

1 minute ago, UberGamerKing said:

You can just buy adapters.

Heck, 99% of GPU's have them included for free

Bought a RX 480 Gaming X 4G and in the new egg "included in box" section didnt mention a 6 to 8pin

1 minute ago, DoctorZeus said:

What gpu. Usually they come with 2 6 pin to single 8 pin for this very reason.

It  should be included in the "What's in the box" section of the product description

Just now, FirstArmada said:

Bought a RX 480 Gaming X 4G and in the new egg "included in box" section didnt mention a 6 to 8pin

3 minutes ago, DoctorZeus said:

I guess you just gotta throw your card away.

just buy an adapter. 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xdual+6-pin+to+8-pin.TRS0&_nkw=dual+6-pin+to+8-pin&_sacat=0

if you don't like ebay i'm sure you can find similar on newegg/amazon (maybe)

Lol read thread before commenting m9

36 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

Lol read thread before commenting m9

so this thread is youre too imPatient to wait a week?

8 minutes ago, DoctorZeus said:

so this thread is youre too imPatient to wait a week? 

If you try to make a snarky comeback, at least make sure you use proper spelling!

The 6pin and 8pin connectors have the same amount of 12v + GND pairs.

The additional 2 pins are ground wires, they're there just to make the video card able to detect a 8 pin connected was plugged in and suck more power from the cables.

When they made the standard and decided on the connectors, they wanted to add that "sense" stuff and make it possible for each connector to have different voltages (for example if each connector came from a different power supply rail) and have the video card take that into account but in the end simplicity won : it would have been an added cost on each video card and psu manufacturers also didn't want to add electronics inside each power supply for separate rails for each pci express connector.

So now basically the idea is that psu manufacturers could use cheaper thinner cables (for example AWG20) on 6 pin pci-e cables  knowing a video card may only take up to 75w from it and on 8 pin pci-e cables, the psu makers should use thicker cables like AWG18 or AWG16 in order to be able to handle 150 watts.

But psu manufacturers just use AWG18 or AWG16 on higher end power supplies because it's cheaper to produce 100k awg18 cables with pci-e 6+2/8 connectors instead of making smaller quantities with different gauge wires (unless you have an order for a company like Dell or HP).

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The 6pin and 8pin connectors have the same amount of 12v + GND pairs.

The additional 2 pins are ground wires, they're there just to make the video card able to detect a 8 pin connected was plugged in and suck more power from the cables.

When they made the standard and decided on the connectors, they wanted to add that "sense" stuff and make it possible for each connector to have different voltages (for example if each connector came from a different power supply rail) and have the video card take that into account but in the end simplicity won : it would have been an added cost on each video card and psu manufacturers also didn't want to add electronics inside each power supply for separate rails for each pci express connector.

So now basically the idea is that psu manufacturers could use cheaper thinner cables (for example AWG20) on 6 pin pci-e cables  knowing a video card may only take up to 75w from it and on 8 pin pci-e cables, the psu makers should use thicker cables like AWG18 or AWG16 in order to be able to handle 150 watts.

But psu manufacturers just use AWG18 or AWG16 on higher end power supplies because it's cheaper to produce 100k awg18 cables with pci-e 6+2/8 connectors instead of making smaller quantities with different gauge wires (unless you have an order for a company like Dell or HP).

So i wont be able to replicate "Sense B" with a standard ground wire despite the wiring in the 6 pin being AWG18 or AWG16?

EDIT: Oh i think you meant that newer GPUs dont use the "sense" stuff so my idea should work assuming the wire is AWG18 or AWG16?

The SENSE wires are connected directly to GROUND in the power supply (the black wires in the connectors).

If you wanted to, you could grab a soldering iron and solder a wire across all those non-12v pins in the PCI-E connector on the video card and then you'd be able to plug your 6pin pci-e connector in the 8 pin connector and it would work just fine.

Is a connection to ground on Sense A pin ? If yes, we have at least a 6pin connector plugged in, so we're allowed to take up to 75w through this connector.

Is there also a connection to ground on Sense B?  If yes, that means we can take up to 150 watts through this connector.

Some video card manufacturers had this idea in mind to use same base design with a 6pin pci-e connector and block overclocking of the video card, and release same design with 8pin pci-e connector and enable overclocking for more profit ... that's the whole idea behind these separate sense pins. 

When the standard was made, PSU manufacturers wanted to make connectors with 4 ground and 4 12v wires but they had to compromise when some video card manufacturers wanted this.  (oh and another minor reason for refusal was similarity with eps, they hoped black wires on one end would prevent confusion)

pinout-pcie.png

2 hours ago, mariushm said:

pinout-pcie.png

Gotcha thanks, also just checked the 6 pins use 18 AWG

Will try and report back