Monitor Network Usage?

NinJake

Hello LTT, I've come to you with a question.

I have multiple vehicles with a dedicated simcard for network access. Recently there has been a jump in the per-month data usage which means by the end of March, will be exceeded. (More $$$ for overages)

Is there a way to track what software is hogging the bandwidth of each vehicle? (Similar to how phones show you how much data each software is taking up space in storage, or what apps are using the most data?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Also, check your router.  A lot of newer routers, and even routers that can be flashed to DD-WRT, have the ability to enable activity logging.  It'll let you know which device (based on IP/MAC address) has been using how much data.  Sometimes you can even customize the logs.

So, what device is actually talking to the network via the sim card? Are these handheld computers or just GPS boxes inside the car or what?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

50 minutes ago, ThePoolQueen said:

since you're using Windows 10.

Sorry I didn't mention. My personal pc has Win10. This environment is all on Windows 7 currently with 2 xp machines that I'm working on tossing out and replacing... legacy hardware for the lose.

43 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Also, check your router.

Will do, whenever I have a chance. (These are in company vehicles that get used frequently, and I'm in the process of re-purposing some machines to replace those Windows XP machines that are still hanging around..)

26 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So, what device is actually talking to the network via the sim card?

We are using "Sierra Wireless" routers, that accept the sim and have an ethernet port as well as gps antenna input among other things. As a previous user stated, I guess I'll have to take a look at if there's an easy way of diagnosing usage through those. I was kind of hoping for some software I can put on the PC then monitor it remotely or have it export the data logs to a network location.

Thank you all for your responses so far though!

44 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Also, check your router.  A lot of newer routers, and even routers that can be flashed to DD-WRT, have the ability to enable activity logging.  It'll let you know which device (based on IP/MAC address) has been using how much data.  Sometimes you can even customize the logs.

Double post, but sorry for marking your post as "funny".. I meant to hit "informative" lol.

Just now, Alaradia said:

You should also be able to check your data usage on your carrier's website

Well, my boss has access to that information, and they provide us with "data usage" but not what is actually using the data. AKA, is it application A, B, C or D that is using 50% of data or whatever. Catch my drift?

The employees inside the vehicles have at least 4 different applications open at any given point in time, and I'd like to pin-point what is using the most data.

Just now, NinJake said:

Well, my boss has access to that information, and they provide us with "data usage" but not what is actually using the data. AKA, is it application A, B, C or D that is using 50% of data or whatever. Catch my drift?

The employees inside the vehicles have at least 4 different applications open at any given point in time, and I'd like to pin-point what is using the most data.

ah yeah i forgot about that part sorry

15 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Double post, but sorry for marking your post as "funny".. I meant to hit "informative" lol.

lol.  NP.  I could always post something about unicorn rainbow farts and you could mark it as informative, but I'm sure it'd confuse the hell out of the unicorns.