Static noise even when computer is turned off (reward for the problem solver!)

Membag

I recently reinstalled my motherboard and after that my speakers wont work (no audio but computer does recognize it) but I hear static noise from them. The static keeps going even if I turn off the computer so what could be the cause of this?

If anyone manages to post a working fix I will drop him/her a code for Dragon Age: Inquisition (you can sell it for what I care).

MOBO: asrock 970 pro3 r2.0

2 minutes ago, Membag said:

I recently reinstalled my motherboard and after that my speakers wont work (no audio but computer does recognize it) but I hear static noise from them. The static keeps going even if I turn off the computer so what could be the cause of this?

If anyone manages to post a working fix I will drop him/her a code for Dragon Age: Inquisition (you can sell it for what I care).

I'd strongly suggest downloading audio drivers, making sure the playback device selected is the sound card etc.  What OS do you have? 64 or 32 bit?

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Test the speakers first using another system. Make sure audio drivers are properly installed. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Check any power cables near your audio leads, it could be interference. I bet if you unplugged your PC the static noise would stop, I've seen it many times on laptops.

Check for loose cables touching parts of the motherboard.

Static noise can be a real pain to diagnose and remove sorry

7 minutes ago, Membag said:

Also, after browsing a bit, have you checked the HD Audio cable in your case?  Have you made sure it's secured?

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

Just now, PeskyEscky said:

Check any power cables near your audio leads, it could be interference. I bet if you unplugged your PC the static noise would stop, I've seen it many times on laptops.

The issue is not static noise, the issue is that there's no audio output other than static

The Louvre

Just now, CharminUltraStrong said:

The issue is not static noise, the issue is that there's no audio output other than static

Ah yes, would help if I read the OP properly!

10 minutes ago, Membag said:

Assuming these are powered desktop speakers that plug in via 3.5mm jack...Are you certain that your plugging them into the GREEN hole? Dumb question but never hurts to ask.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970 Pro3 R2.0/?cat=Download

Here are all the drivers^

The Louvre

15 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

I'd strongly suggest downloading audio drivers, making sure the playback device selected is the sound card etc.  What OS do you have? 64 or 32 bit?

Reinstalled drivers to make sure they were working but that shouldn't have any matter with computer being offline and still hearing static

10 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Also, after browsing a bit, have you checked the HD Audio cable in your case?  Have you made sure it's secured?

And yes the HD Audio is securely on. The static continues even when HD Audio is unplugged

9 minutes ago, PeskyEscky said:

Indeed noise does stop when unplugged, still cant figure out what is causing it.

What do you mean by "reinstalled motherboard"? Like, physically reseating it? Or do you mean the drivers? Also, is the static noise an actual problem or is it the default sound you get from the speakers when no sound is coming in from any source?

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Just now, SaladFingers said:

What do you mean by "reinstalled motherboard"? Like, physically reseating it? Or do you mean the drivers? Also, is the static noise an actual problem or is it the default sound you get from the speakers when no sound is coming in from any source?

Yes I removed it because my heatsink screws were loose and my case doesn't have a hole on the other side so I had to completely remove it from the case.

It is an actual problem since I have no sound at all and the static is really intense.

3 minutes ago, Membag said:

Yes I removed it because my heatsink screws were loose and my case doesn't have a hole on the other side so I had to completely remove it from the case.

It is an actual problem since I have no sound at all and the static is really intense.

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on... The static itself could be unrelated if it used to be there in the past. Maybe you have the speaker volume too high and that's why the static is so pronounced? Were they silent before? Also, when reseating the motherboard, are you sure you didn't have any static shock happen? Did you accidentaly drive the screwdriver onto the PCB?

~ Specs bellow ~

CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Is there any audio coming out from the computer, try with headphones?

Does the static continue if you turn off the power supply using the switch in the back?

Is the mobo properly installed, no extra screws/standoffs in there?

Can the static noise be controlled with the volume controls on the speakers?

Are things plugged into the wall the same way as before?

Is there static noise if you unplug the speakers (from the pc) and touch the tip of the plug to your case? (turn down your speaker volume before doing this)

If you have a microphone, does it work?

Sounds like you have some earthing issue after reinstalling the motherboard. You may have to re-seat it. Could there be anything stuck underneath the motherboard that shouldn't be there?

Just now, huilun02 said:

What if you plug headphones or earphones into the same jack? Do those also get static noise?

Your speaker set - does it have its own mains plug? Is it plugged into the same power strip as your PC?

Still getting static if I change headphones or speakers, speakers are plugged to the same power strip as PC but never had a problem before I reinstalled mobo.

2 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

I'm just trying to figure out what's going on... The static itself could be unrelated if it used to be there in the past. Maybe you have the speaker volume too high and that's why the static is so pronounced? Were they silent before? Also, when reseating the motherboard, are you sure you didn't have any static shock happen? Did you accidentaly drive the screwdriver onto the PCB?

There was no untill I reinstalled the mobo, certainly not the speakers fault since it happens on my headphones too. Quite sure there was no static shocks and I was fairly careful with the screwdriver.

1 minute ago, PeskyEscky said:

Sounds like you have some earthing issue after reinstalling the motherboard. You may have to re-seat it. Could there be anything stuck underneath the motherboard that shouldn't be there?

@PeskyEscky could be onto something here. Maybe the board is shorting somewhere? Did you make sure you used the risers before screwing the board?

~ Specs bellow ~

2 minutes ago, PeskyEscky said:

I guess it wont hurt to re-seat it, trying that now.

Just now, SaladFingers said:

@PeskyEscky could be onto something here. Maybe the board is shorting somewhere? Did you make sure you used the risers before screwing the board?

Yeah its on the risers or whatever they are called.

3 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

Is there any audio coming out from the computer, try with headphones?

Does the static continue if you turn off the power supply using the switch in the back?

Is the mobo properly installed, no extra screws/standoffs in there?

Can the static noise be controlled with the volume controls on the speakers?

Are things plugged into the wall the same way as before?

Is there static noise if you unplug the speakers (from the pc) and touch the tip of the plug to your case? (turn down your speaker volume before doing this)

If you have a microphone, does it work?

- No audio even with headphones

- Static stops when I switch off the power supply

- I think its properly installed, about to reinstall to make sure now.

- Yes noise can be controlled with the controls on speaker.

- Plugged in the same way as before

- No static when touching the case

- Microphone does not work

Just now, Membag said:

- No audio even with headphones

- Static stops when I switch off the power supply

- I think its properly installed, about to reinstall to make sure now.

- Yes noise can be controlled with the controls on speaker.

- Plugged in the same way as before

- No static when touching the case

- Microphone does not work

Okay, so it is a mobo problem. How tight did you attach the cooler, is the board bent badly? Might be touching the case. Take the board out and test it when it is out of the case, you can use the cardboard box it came in for example.

17 minutes ago, Pesukarhu said:

Okay, so it is a mobo problem. How tight did you attach the cooler, is the board bent badly? Might be touching the case. Take the board out and test it when it is out of the case, you can use the cardboard box it came in for example.

Took it out and still the same problem occurs, the board is not bent at all

16 minutes ago, Membag said:

I'm not sure if that's what you mean you did, but if you didn't, take out the motherboard and run everything outside of the case to rule out any kind of shortage with the case itself.

~ Specs bellow ~

17 minutes ago, Membag said:

Is windows actually trying to output sound, look in the audio mixer to confirm there is activity.
Might be that your audio is damaged, could have been static or just a defect. I had my asrock board have terrible rear audio, bad static and clipping. Front panel audio and mic worked though. If you have warranty, now might be a good time to use it.

You could reseat your psu cables, make sure the 24-pin is in as deep as it goes. Could be the audio circuit is not getting enough power to work properly.
If you have another psu, you can also try that.