My next workstation for graphic design and 3D

bographics
On 3/17/2017 at 6:00 PM, brob said:

If Hitachi (HGST) hdd are available you might look at their Deskstar NAS line. These drives are designed for "desktop" NAS and are likely more suited to a relatively light use array than units designed for data centers.

I have already ordered WD Gold 2Tb. I hope to be ok for RAID 1 on desktop computer.

10 hours ago, bographics said:

I have already ordered WD Gold 2Tb. I hope to be ok for RAID 1 on desktop computer.

They should be ok. But one never knows with modern engineering how tightly designed a product is to a particular environment. 

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

5 hours ago, brob said:

They should be ok. But one never knows with modern engineering how tightly designed a product is to a particular environment. 

I hope the downside will be just the noise...

6 hours ago, brob said:

I hope the downside will be just the noise...

Hi guys!

I have succeeded assemble my computer, but I am facing a single issue: the m.2 SSD (Samsung 960 Pro) is working at low speeds (on my MSI X99A SLI). The tested sequential writing speed is around 700MB/s, way lower than the advertised speed! What could it be? The operating system (Windows 10) is installed on this drive.

Thanks!

If you wanna be extra cautious about your data , consider upload them to google drive or amazon drive. Check the prices before you choose the platform. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, bographics said:

Hi guys!

I have succeeded assemble my computer, but I am facing a single issue: the m.2 SSD (Samsung 960 Pro) is working at low speeds (on my MSI X99A SLI). The tested sequential writing speed is around 700MB/s, way lower than the advertised speed! What could it be? The operating system (Windows 10) is installed on this drive.

Thanks!

M.2 drives will throttle it they get too hot. Is airflow restricted over the top of the drive?

I would have thought it automatic but the BIOS has an M.2 PCH Strap setting, make sure that is set to M.2 PCH PCIE. Not M.2 PCH SATA.

7 hours ago, brob said:

M.2 drives will throttle it they get too hot. Is airflow restricted over the top of the drive?

I would have thought it automatic but the BIOS has an M.2 PCH Strap setting, make sure that is set to M.2 PCH PCIE. Not M.2 PCH SATA.

Is not throttling. The airflow is very good. I have switched to M.2 PCH in BIOS in order to work, but how I can use PCIE instead of SATA? There seems to not be such an option. Thanks!

17 hours ago, bographics said:

Is not throttling. The airflow is very good. I have switched to M.2 PCH in BIOS in order to work, but how I can use PCIE instead of SATA? There seems to not be such an option. Thanks!

When M.2 Source Link is set to [PCH], (not [Auto]), M.2 PCH Strap should allow two values, [M.2 PCH PCIE] or [M.2 PCH SATA]. You want [M.2 PCH PCIE].

6 hours ago, brob said:

When M.2 Source Link is set to [PCH], (not [Auto]), M.2 PCH Strap should allow two values, [M.2 PCH PCIE] or [M.2 PCH SATA]. You want [M.2 PCH PCIE].

I'm not finding these "extra" options under my BIOS, but I think I found the issue why the speed is limited to 7-800 MB/s (from MSI mainboard manual):

1x M.2 slot (Key M):
- For 40-lanes CPU, it supports up to PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
- For 28-lanes CPU, it supports up to PCIe 2.0 x2 and SATA 6Gb/s

... and my cpu has 28 lanes!

I hope the advantage of this drive will be the reliability (5 years guarantee, 400TB and lower temperatures at this reduced speed) :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now my system is almost completed: GTX 1080Ti :)

I just need to add it to the loop, but EK does not have a back-plate for this beauty :(

19060052_1555917624426815_8814292999080109000_n.jpg

19149114_1555917657760145_5968844834777051116_n.jpg