Needing some help on my reservoir placement in Define R5

With almost all of my parts finally planned out, I hit a snag in the placement of my pump/res.  I plan on getting the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM and getting the mount that can be placed on my 280 rad in the front of my case.  However I have the bottom drive cage, which has only 3 hard drives in the cage,  And looking at how big the res is and my rad, I feel I might have the possibly put my res horizontally.  But I would rather have it be vertical.  I saw Paul from Paul's Hardware do the same kinda thing in his build for Arctic Panther, which I'm using as a way to build my loop.  SO I have the 360 on top and the 280 in front, but with how the mount for the res is, I have to either take out the drives and get a 4 bay enclosure, or put the res in horizontal.  

Any ideas on what I can do to possibly keep my res vertical, or am I SOL and have to put it sideways?

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

2 hours ago, Ninja_Commander said:

With almost all of my parts finally planned out, I hit a snag in the placement of my pump/res.  I plan on getting the EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM and getting the mount that can be placed on my 280 rad in the front of my case.  However I have the bottom drive cage, which has only 3 hard drives in the cage,  And looking at how big the res is and my rad, I feel I might have the possibly put my res horizontally.  But I would rather have it be vertical.  I saw Paul from Paul's Hardware do the same kinda thing in his build for Arctic Panther, which I'm using as a way to build my loop.  SO I have the 360 on top and the 280 in front, but with how the mount for the res is, I have to either take out the drives and get a 4 bay enclosure, or put the res in horizontal.  

Any ideas on what I can do to possibly keep my res vertical, or am I SOL and have to put it sideways?

If you need the HDD cage but don't require the 5.25" bay you can tear out the top bays for extra room to mount the res above the HDD cages.

Just now, W-L said:

If you need the HDD cage but don't require the 5.25" bay you can tear out the top bays for extra room to mount the res above the HDD cages.

But I am using a 360 on top.  And looking at all my options, I think the best solution is to go with the EK 100 res/pump.  This is mainly cause I am using a 280 rad instead of a 240, more height.

2 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

But I am using a 360 on top.  And looking at all my options, I think the best solution is to go with the EK 100 res/pump.  This is mainly cause I am using a 280 rad instead of a 240, more height.

Also you can shift the drive bays over to get more vertical room if you wanted a vertical res mount:

Image result for Define R5

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

Also you can shift the drive bays over to get more vertical room if you wanted a vertical res mount:

Image result for Define R5

That certainly will be helpful. Also since I'm going with a push config, i think it will fit well.  Just how much space would I need with going this way when I push the drive to the side more?

Just now, Ninja_Commander said:

That certainly will be helpful. Also since I'm going with a push config, i think it will fit well.  Just how much space would I need with going this way when I push the drive to the side more?

Depending on the rad thickness it may be a little tight with push pull like in the photo above where the front fans are behind the shroud, it should allow enough room though if you mounting it a little higher up between the GPU and front rad. 

11 minutes ago, W-L said:

Depending on the rad thickness it may be a little tight with push pull like in the photo above where the front fans are behind the shroud, it should allow enough room though if you mounting it a little higher up between the GPU and front rad. 

The rads will be 30mm thick, they are the hardware labs GTS ones. 

8 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

The rads will be 30mm thick, they are the hardware labs GTS ones. 

You should be good, it will be very similar to the setup above as the Corsair unit has a 25-30mm rad thickness. 

1 minute ago, W-L said:

You should be good, it will be very similar to the setup above as the Corsair unit has a 25-30mm rad thickness. 

Well that's good to know. Ok, I got thru with it once the backplate for my CPU block comes back on the market, the heatkiller VI pro.  Apparently the backplate goes fast on performance pc. 

36 minutes ago, W-L said:

One last question, what would be the best option for making a drain on my loop? Thru the ek gpu blocks extra ports or a splitter from the res?

Just now, Ninja_Commander said:

One last question, what would be the best option for making a drain on my loop? Thru the ek gpu blocks extra ports or a splitter from the res?

It's best to place the drain at the lowest point of the loop or if it's not possible the largest volume of fluid to remove as much as possible from the loop. You can use a T splitter and a valve for example on the reservoir. 

I have a t-splitter from alphacool that can work.