Windows 10 IoT Enterprise

Falkerz

So Linus did that showcase of the windows embedded version customised to be actually awesome. 

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise is the equivalent of previous embedded versions. Is it possible to do something with this where is optimised as a workstation / gaming machine but without all the bloat, advertising and just general Microsoft insanity?

I know i could just spin up a VM out to to run as a DC and perhaps an SCCM controller to handle it all myself, but the maintenance required compared to using OTA updates makes this an undesirable option.

Anyone got any thoughts for this?

There is no bloat or advertising if you know how to use a settings menu.

If you don't want any microsoft stuff then use linux.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 hours ago, Enderman said:

There is no bloat or advertising if you know how to use a settings menu.

If you don't want any microsoft stuff then use linux.

Ahahahahahahaha that's a good joke.

But seriously, if you think all the important settings are in the settings menu, you need to look into all the snooping, advertising and stuff that you probably don't need running that isn't in the settings menu.

3 hours ago, Falkerz said:

Ahahahahahahaha that's a good joke.

But seriously, if you think all the important settings are in the settings menu, you need to look into all the snooping, advertising and stuff that you probably don't need running that isn't in the settings menu.

The advertising is a setting that you turn off in the settings menu.

The telemetry is regular big data that literally every device and website takes from you.

If you somehow are so paranoid that you need to disable that in windows, then you should also stop using a cell phone and the internet because as long as you use those two things all of the same info is being collected by places other than microsoft.

Unfortunately most people are too naive to understand that turning off telemetry doesn't protect them at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

The advertising is a setting that you turn off in the settings menu.

The telemetry is regular big data that literally every device and website takes from you.

If you somehow are so paranoid that you need to disable that in windows, then you should also stop using a cell phone and the internet because as long as you use those two things all of the same info is being collected by places other than microsoft.

Unfortunately most people are too naive to understand that turning off telemetry doesn't protect them at all.

It's not about being paranoid, and it's not about just disabling advertising. 

As mentioned in my OP, i want to explore the potential for a heavily striped down install of Windows 10 that i can build on, rather than starting with the full fat version and trying to trim out all the stuff i don't need but can't remove because it's "essential".

I don't need big data in the way Windows 10 does it. Frankly, I'm very happy for basic usage stats to be collected, on the premise that my files are, by default, NOT being uploaded to a service i have no control over for the purposes of "improving the experience".

All standard Windows installs have things a power user won't necessarily want, but Linux can't offer things like DirectX which some pagans need to run. 

Hopefully other people will be able to provide useful contributions.

7 minutes ago, Falkerz said:

It's not about being paranoid, and it's not about just disabling advertising. 

As mentioned in my OP, i want to explore the potential for a heavily striped down install of Windows 10 that i can build on, rather than starting with the full fat version and trying to trim out all the stuff i don't need but can't remove because it's "essential".

I don't need big data in the way Windows 10 does it. Frankly, I'm very happy for basic usage stats to be collected, on the premise that my files are, by default, NOT being uploaded to a service i have no control over for the purposes of "improving the experience".

All standard Windows installs have things a power user won't necessarily want, but Linux can't offer things like DirectX which some pagans need to run. 

None of your files are being uploaded. It is just telemetry. Just like literally every other program and website you have ever used.

Unless for some reason you might think that 1TB of video files can fit inside a 16kb packet...?

What "stuff" are you talking about that isn't essential?

Desktop backgrounds? File explorer?

Just use safe mode with command prompt then, basically as stripped down as it gets.

Spoiler