Z270 or wait for X299

I'm currently contemplating upgrading my system to a 1080Ti and new CPU+Mobo, my question though is whether Z270 with i7-7700K will become a bottleneck in let's say the next 2-3 years if my goal is max performance. Or if I should just wait for X299, whenever that'll be.

Thanks

The 7700k will be your best bet. Even with the new APIs, IPC will still be your best friend, and the best IPC processor will be the 7700k

For gaming the 7700k is the best bet.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

4 minutes ago, Fake Dragonite said:

The 7700k will be your best bet. Even with the new APIs, IPC will still be your best friend, and the best IPC processor will be the 7700k

Reminder, Skylake X will have the exact same IPC as a 7700k, hence OP's question.

As to whether it's worth the wait, I'd say no. We have no idea when is it coming; it could be soon, but we could also be very far away from it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Reminder, Skylake X will have the exact same IPC as a 7700k, hence OP's question.

As to whether it's worth the wait, I'd say no. We have no idea when is it coming; it could be soon, but we could also be very far away from it.

Don't mean to start an argument, however, Skylake X will have the same IPC as Skylake (6xxx series chips). The 7700k, being Kaby Lake, will still have a higher IPC than the enthusiast chips in the 7xxx series. Reminder, the 6950X is still running on the Broadwell-E architecture, meaning that the 6700k still has stronger single core performance.

2 minutes ago, Fake Dragonite said:

Don't mean to start an argument, however, Skylake X will have the same IPC as Skylake (6xxx series chips). The 7700k, being Kaby Lake, will still have a higher IPC than the enthusiast chips in the 7xxx series. Reminder, the 6950X is still running on the Broadwell-E architecture, meaning that the 6700k still has stronger single core performance.

Did you know: Kaby lake is actually identical to Skylake. The only difference was the fabrication process, which allowed for higher clocks (as well as other features, but those don't relate to performance). Kaby has higher performance due to clocking higher, not due to better IPC.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Hmm... Idk why I forgot that Kaby Lake was basically akin to Devils Canyon for Haswell, being more of a refresh than a "generational improvement". My bad.

Thanks for the replies people, although I didn't really understand most of the discussion =P 

I have a 4930K at the moment but I have alot of issues with my current system and feels like a waste to spend money on it rather than upgrade it. 

18 minutes ago, NE0XY said:

Thanks for the replies people, although I didn't really understand most of the discussion =P 

I have a 4930K at the moment but I have alot of issues with my current system and feels like a waste to spend money on it rather than upgrade it. 

We were discussing performance of an unreleased (if even existent) product based on current hardware. Don't worry about it.

Sum is, what exactly do you use your PC for?

Just now, Imakuni said:

We were discussing performance of an unreleased (if even existent) product based on current hardware. Don't worry about it.

Sum is, what exactly do you use your PC for?

The most demanding thing is gaming. Occasional Rendering job. 

When I built this system I could get Ultra settings on pretty much everything, so I'd like to keep that going

Just now, NE0XY said:

The most demanding thing is gaming. Occasional Rendering job. 

When I built this system I could get Ultra settings on pretty much everything, so I'd like to keep that going

If gaming is your priority, then 7700k it is. Skylake X will be similar, but definitely won't clock as high. And, as I said, we have no idea as to when it's launching, if it is at all.

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

If gaming is your priority, then 7700k it is. Skylake X will be similar, but definitely won't clock as high. And, as I said, we have no idea as to when it's launching, if it is at all.

Great, thanks for the help.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to revive an old topic, but now that X299 has been released and we have some more information I feel like this is maybe relevant again. 

Based on what I've read on a few forums and from Linus's "rant"/video I don't feel like X299 is all that good? 7700K is still the best bet right?

Thanks