R9 290

O_G

Which brand is the best in terms of most bang for the buck

For R9 290s? All are the same right now, they're reference cards, wait for aftermarket ones.

None of them, they're all blowdryers. Wait for non-reference (unless you're water-cooling, buy the cheapest one).

more like jet engines 

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

There is only reference, get what is cheapest/best warrenty. I would wait until non-reference Asus or EVGA, but that's up to you.

There is only reference, get what is cheapest/best warrenty. I would wait until non-reference Asus or EVGA, but that's up to you.

EVGA will never make AMD GPU's.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

As everyone else said, go with the cheapest reference Radeon R9 290 until the non-reference coolers emerge. Then you want to go with Sapphire, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, or HIS.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz | Corsair H110i GTX | EVGA RTX 2080 XC | Asus ROG Maximus XI | Intel M.2 nVME SSD 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 2X2TB | 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 RAM | EVGA SuperNova GS 1050W | Kept cool & quiet in a Fractal Design Define R5 Window with all Noctua fans

They are all reference coolers now so the brand doesn't really matter. Just go for the cheapest one. If you plan to overclock and/or want a quieter cooler, I would wait for the R9 290 to release aftermarket coolers.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer