Win7 BSOD MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x1A

Go to solution Solved by jamesc639,

how old are your drives hdd's last 3 years on average i believe but can last much longer and ssd's last about the same depending on usage but a memtest and chkdisk are in order as stated already as well as possibly userbenchmark to see if your drives are beginning to slow, a common sign of failure 

Here's my system specs.

Windows 7-64 BIT 
Intel i5 3550 @ 3.3 Ghz ( NO OC ) 
ASUS P8Z77-M
Sapphire R9-Fury Nitro ( NO OC ) 
Corsair Vengeance 16GB @ 1333mhz ( NO OC ) 
W.D Blues 1TB X2 ( STEAM / Games / Other Programs and Software ) 
Transcend SSD370 128GB ( OS, Google Chrome etc nothing else ) 

So for some weird reason, today all sudden my PC started to BSOD and I can't even see the BSOD, my PC will just freeze black screen and restart itself, I only know it's BSOD because Windows informed me when the PC restarted. 
The only thing I did before this happen was Defragging my two Hard Drives, I have an SSD for OS Boot Up and I used Auslogics and I been using for Years and it was fine. Nope didn't had any update with it or anything either. 
( And no of course I didn't defrag my SSD ) 

So when it first occurred was when I was watching a video on Facebook, all sudden BSOD. At first I thought could it be my GPU Driver causing it, so I've updated it to the latest AMD ReLive 17.3.1 and no go, was just playing Wticher 3 and it BSOD on me again. 
( And as usual I did a clean uninstall and update, using DDU etc blah blah blah ) 

I check online alot suggesting could be a dying hard drive or something or maybe RAM faulty. 
So I used Crystal Mark Disk Info to check all my Drives are healthy. Same for my SSD. 

I even did the most basic by doing a System File Check via cmd. 
The only thing I didn't test was using MemTest86, not yet. 

What do you guys think it's causing the problem ?? 
Could it be a dying hardware ?? I do have plans on upgrading to RyZen but not so soon, and it's so sudden...

Here's the crash report I obtained using WhoCrashed. 

On Thu 09-Mar-17 14:33:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\030917-5350-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x74080)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0x1155001, 0x0, 0xFFFFF70001080000)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 09-Mar-17 14:33:05 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0x1155001, 0x0, 0xFFFFF70001080000)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

If this is a one time occurrence, I wouldn't really worry about it. If it becomes more frequent, then we have a problem. Like last night I had a 0x9F bugcheck. WhoCrashed says it was a driver problem. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it unless it happens again within a week or so.

If you really want to be sure though, then running MemTest wouldn't be a bad idea.

troubleshooting your ram seems only logical if all drivers are up to date including video, sound and any hardware driver i use glary utilities to check my drivers or you can check them manually

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

If this is a one time occurrence, I wouldn't really worry about it. If it becomes more frequent, then we have a problem. Like last night I had a 0x9F bugcheck. WhoCrashed says it was a driver problem. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it unless it happens again within a week or so.

If you really want to be sure though, then running MemTest wouldn't be a bad idea.

Firstly I would like to add I didn't even update Windows or anything, didn't install anything new etc. Just defragged both my Mechanical Hard Drives ! 
And all sudden on the same night 2 BSOD in a row !

But doesn't really feel normal to me, I mean I never had BSOD before like ages. Previous ones are clearly Driver issues which caused by my GPU. 
And I actually had only recently fresh installed my Windows too. 
What worried me is, on the same night it happened twice ! But it's late now so I think I'm just gonna run MemTest86 overnight see if anything comes up. 
( I PRAY IT DOESN'T OF COURSE ) 

But what are the usual culprit for such BSOD ?? 

Just now, jamesc639 said:

troubleshooting your ram seems only logical if all drivers are up to date including video, sound and any hardware driver i use glary utilities to check my drivers or you can check them manually

Actually I been wondering, since my OS and all it's on my SSD...if my HDD were to be failing it will still cause BSOD ?? 
And as I said, the first BSOD occurred was when I was on Facebook, watching a video lol....and my Google Chrome it's installed on my SSD instead. 

Are there any other tools to check my SSD whether are there any problems? For my HDD I normally use the W.D one. 
What about my SSD ? As of now I'm only using like Crystal Mark Info / Auslogic / HW64INFO, they are showing both my HDD and SSD Health to be 100%

If you have defragmented the HDD maybe try typing in cmd " chkdsk /f " to chech for HDD failures, which may cause some issues. I am not an expert by any means so correct me if i`m wrong. (also my english may kinda suck)

The only thing I didn't test was using MemTest86, not yet. .... 

Is it done now ?

Simple rules:

- If it works, dont update it.

- You don't know how, just do it, you will learn.

- Test, restest, test again, and maybe it will do it.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=919931

Just now, stratege1401 said:

The only thing I didn't test was using MemTest86, not yet. .... 

Is it done now ?

Nope, as said It's late now so I think I will give this a try and see how it turns out tomorrow morning. 
But please do leave any more other suggestions so maybe I could try them tomorrow. 

no not necessarily your hdd shouldnt affect the system as a whole unless you are accessing data off of it 

4 minutes ago, jamesc639 said:

no not necessarily your hdd shouldnt affect the system as a whole unless you are accessing data off of it 

This is the weirdest BSOD then...I wonder what's causing it. What's weird is i can't even see the BSOD it just goes black and restart first time I experience such BSOD. Well I'm doing the MemTest now so far so good. Gonna get some sleep and see how it goes tomorrow. Feel like taking a day off from work now since my PC ain't well, hope I'm able to sleep at all tonight. :/

Spoiler

1489073011382-858206367.jpg

how old are your drives hdd's last 3 years on average i believe but can last much longer and ssd's last about the same depending on usage but a memtest and chkdisk are in order as stated already as well as possibly userbenchmark to see if your drives are beginning to slow, a common sign of failure 

4 minutes ago, jamesc639 said:

One of my HDD is about 4 Years old and the other just about 2 Years i believe my SSD it's less than a Year. But I heavily abused my HDD I download a lot of stuffs almost daily and I constantly uninstall old games and install new ones lol. 

Sorry but what's a ' userbenchmark ' ?

its a program that tests the performance of your computer parts and uploads them to their site to compare to thousands of others who have run the test many with the same or similiar hardware and if one of your components is not performing the same as others with the same one it may mean something like a drive that isnt up to par with other drives of the same model could signal a old or dying drive give userbenchmark a google

1 hour ago, gh0st47 said:

Firstly I would like to add I didn't even update Windows or anything, didn't install anything new etc. Just defragged both my Mechanical Hard Drives ! 
And all sudden on the same night 2 BSOD in a row !

But doesn't really feel normal to me, I mean I never had BSOD before like ages. Previous ones are clearly Driver issues which caused by my GPU. 
And I actually had only recently fresh installed my Windows too. 
What worried me is, on the same night it happened twice ! But it's late now so I think I'm just gonna run MemTest86 overnight see if anything comes up. 
( I PRAY IT DOESN'T OF COURSE ) 

But what are the usual culprit for such BSOD ?? 

BSODs are usually either a system software problem or a hardware problem.

But again, if it's a one-time thing, it's not a cause for alarm. I joke around with people about this concept at times, but in higher elevations, there's a real risk for data centers to have errors because of background cosmic radiation flipping a bit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_error#Cosmic_rays_creating_energetic_neutrons_and_protons)

So again, if it's a one time thing, I don't see a need to sound the alarms.

Bad news seems like a dying RAM or DIMM ?? Seems like it failed Test #7.

So I guess now what I should do is remove a pair and test again ? I have 4 sticks total. 

But damn RyZen is still unstable....I wonder if 8GB RAM would still be enough for gaming...

1489076853131-534243301.jpg

8GB will do !!! It's a minimum .. i ahve 16 Go, and only diff between 8/16 is for example Photoshop and delphy compilation ... fastest. 

Simple rules:

- If it works, dont update it.

- You don't know how, just do it, you will learn.

- Test, restest, test again, and maybe it will do it.

https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/sigs/sigimage.php?u=919931

Welp I guess we could confirm its on-air of my RAM gone bad just hope it isn't thra DIMM slots instead...Gonna run test for the other second pair of RAM. 

IMG_20170310_063801.jpg

Just wanna update so I've tested the other two DIMM slots in case it's a bad DIMM. But thank Heaven it wasn't I guess it was a bad RAM.

So I guess I be stuck with 8GB at the moment while I wait for a Month long RMA. I think I'm starting to question Corsair's quality this is the second time having their RAM dying on me. I bought this kit back in 31 Jan 2013 it's only been 4 Years and its dead ? The first time was worst, DOA ! 

My friend owns a Corsair RM PSU and he RMA that damn thing twice already. First time was only a week use, dead second time was about a Year later, dead. Now Corsair replaced his one with the RMx instead. 

Honestly should I even still risk using Corsair ? What RAM do you guys use ?

19 hours ago, gh0st47 said:

Just wanna update so I've tested the other two DIMM slots in case it's a bad DIMM. But thank Heaven it wasn't I guess it was a bad RAM.

So I guess I be stuck with 8GB at the moment while I wait for a Month long RMA. I think I'm starting to question Corsair's quality this is the second time having their RAM dying on me. I bought this kit back in 31 Jan 2013 it's only been 4 Years and its dead ? The first time was worst, DOA ! 

My friend owns a Corsair RM PSU and he RMA that damn thing twice already. First time was only a week use, dead second time was about a Year later, dead. Now Corsair replaced his one with the RMx instead. 

Honestly should I even still risk using Corsair ? What RAM do you guys use ?

Very interesting post. It's good that you went through the process of diagnosing the problem and figured out the cause.

In regards to memory I recently upgraded to HyperX Fury 16GB Ram from 8GB of a brand called Pareema which I bought around 2012 and still work to this day. Though I'm very happy with my upgrade. If you really want to go all out I'd definitely recommend G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series. It's some of the best RAM I've seen so far, with regards to it's performance and aesthetics.

Sorry for your troubles with Corsair. The only product I have from them is a 750 watt TX series power supply from 2012 and still going strong.

Yup one of the RAM from the other 8GB kit it's completely dead itisland wont even boot up. Gonna go and RMA it on Monday hope its till possible for this ancient RAM. Kinda waste if I couldn't since my PC still runs fine unless I don't mind only running on 8GB from now on. So far luckily I'm still able to game.