aftermaket cooler for gtx 970

Kiwi_Skov

hello i have an msi gtx 970 and i need a cpu cooler for it, anyone that know of any what are around 10cm high it cant really be more or there isnt any space for my PSU ?

any ideas (no water cool)

2 minutes ago, Kiwi_Skov said:

hello i have an msi gtx 970 and i need a cpu cooler for it, anyone that know of any what are around 10cm high it cant really be more or there isnt any space for my PSU ?

any ideas (no water cool)

Your GPU (at least should anyways) comes with a GPU cooler.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Hello OP, why do you need a cpu cooler for your gpu? could you explain the situation a bit to us, considering we would probably think that you cna just run with the cooler your card came with.

11 minutes ago, monjessenstein said:

Hello OP, why do you need a cpu cooler for your gpu? could you explain the situation a bit to us, considering we would probably think that you cna just run with the cooler your card came with.

yes ofc. im a silent fanatic, so i want to make my gpu silent and the only way is to put an cpu cooler on it, also a reason is simply cuz i can :)

19 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Your GPU (at least should anyways) comes with a GPU cooler.

yes but that cooler sucks

5 minutes ago, Kiwi_Skov said:

yes ofc. im a silent fanatic, so i want to make my gpu silent and the only way is to put an cpu cooler on it, also a reason is simply cuz i can :)

Honeslty, it's going to tbe tricky self-mount a cpu cooler to your gpu, not even mentioning the potential pressure it could all cause in one area. Another problem is that unlike the cpu, on a gpu both the chip itself and other parts like the vram need to be cooled, which won't happen with a high-end cpu cooler. Honestly the only real way to generally lower noise on a current gpu is water cooling, or getting something like a custom fan made for that gpu, and even then you could run into problems with a custom pcb.

2 minutes ago, Kiwi_Skov said:

yes but that cooler sucks

Seeing as a friend of mine tends to not exceed 60-70 degrees on his msi 970, I'm assuming you either live in a very warm place or have restricted airflow.

Just now, monjessenstein said:

Seeing as a friend of mine tends to not exceed 60-70 degrees on his msi 970, I'm assuming you either live in a very warm place or have restricted airflow.

He is just drunk, you can see it in his profile picture.

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

1 minute ago, monjessenstein said:

Honeslty, it's going to tbe tricky self-mount a cpu cooler to your gpu, not even mentioning the potential pressure it could all cause in one area. Another problem is that unlike the cpu, on a gpu both the chip itself and other parts like the vram need to be cooled, which won't happen with a high-end cpu cooler. Honestly the only real way to generally lower noise on a current gpu is water cooling, or getting something like a custom fan made for that gpu, and even then you could run into problems with a custom pcb.

there are seperately vram cooler on the 970 and im never going watercooling 

Just now, Epic_Nex said:

That would not be surprising XD.

Just now, Epic_Nex said:

nah m8 i dont drink and have been clean for 3 years

Just now, Kiwi_Skov said:

there are seperately vram cooler on the 970 and im never going watercooling 

What do you mean with 'seperate vram cooler' if you mean mounting 2 cpu coolers, forget about it that's just going to not fit. Also, why not go watercooling?

What do you mean with 'seperate vram cooler' if you mean mounting 2 cpu coolers, forget about it that's just going to not fit. Also, why not go watercooling?

now first of all watch this video

and come back, when we can continue chatting about this and second watch this picture there you can see the vram a covered with there own pasive cooler 009_101414.jpg

1 minute ago, Kiwi_Skov said:

now first of all watch this video

and come back, when we can continue chatting about this and second watch this picture there you can see the vram a covered with there own pasive cooler 009_101414.jpg

I had already seen that video, though there are a few problems. One is that he's using a 460, which means it is a completely different test scenario than yours, and second is that whilst the vram does have heatsinks it isn't the problem. The problem will be the lack of air being pushed onto those heatsinks to carry the heat away.

I had already seen that video, though there are a few problems. One is that he's using a 460, which means it is a completely different test scenario than yours, and second is that whilst the vram does have heatsinks it isn't the problem. The problem will be the lack of air being pushed onto those heatsinks to carry the heat away.

yeah he conveniently did the test in the open, not in a case

Runescape player  II  Civ 6 and LoL noob  II  

but you dont know how my system is setup ?

We don't need to in order to know it won't work the way you're thinking.

Im using an NZXT kraken g10 and a corsair H55 on my r9 390.... load temps are like 65C 

but you dont know how my system is setup ?

Whilst that is true, if your current cooler is underperforming it would mean a lack of airflow, thus there being a too small amount of air for the vram. Case closed.

Whilst that is true, if your current cooler is underperforming it would mean a lack of airflow, thus there being a too small amount of air for the vram. Case closed.

i never said anything about its underperforming. im just saying that i want an other cooler so that i can turn down the noice. why do i have to justify my idea?

i never said anything about its underperforming. im just saying that i want an other cooler so that i can turn down the noice. why do i have to justify my idea?

Because that cooler should be making next to no noise at all. Either it's starved for air, or you haven't tuned with the fan settings yet,

1 minute ago, monjessenstein said:

Because that cooler should be making next to no noise at all. Either it's starved for air, or you haven't tuned with the fan settings yet,

are you talking about the cooler that comes with the 970.... ? i dont think you have heard it and maybe my silent definition is diffrent from yours, when im talking about silent its dead silent not a single noice from the pc. the loudest component in my setup atm other then the gpu is my pcie ssd, there are somthing to compare my definition of silent with.

3 minutes ago, Kiwi_Skov said:

are you talking about the cooler that comes with the 970.... ? i dont think you have heard it and maybe my silent definition is diffrent from yours, when im talking about silent its dead silent not a single noice from the pc. the loudest component in my setup atm other then the gpu is my pcie ssd, there are somthing to compare my definition of silent with.

Honestly if we're talking DEAD silent you should have completely made your pc around that idea with things like fanless power supply's, no hdd and a gpu that will turn off it's fans when not using any of its processing power.

Honestly if we're talking DEAD silent you should have completely made your pc around that idea with things like fanless power supply's, no hdd and a gpu that will turn off it's fans when not using any of its processing power.

m8 thats what i have.