[BUILD LOG] Water Box Inferno

Hey crowd!

So, after defining pump and res placement I started on cable sleeving. 
Yes, I have been scared with this for a while. 

I sleeved the pump cable for starters and coonected it directly to the power SATA out with the 6 pin connector.
Then I sleeved the single wire for pump signal to CPU cooler connector. 
I think I did a decent job and I am satisfied with the end result. Having cables that measure exactly what they should pays off the effort.

So, I felt ready for something more complex and decided to build the SATA power cable.
After three hours here is the end result:

IMG_4027.thumb.JPG.ecfff7292be8c7327024b0c2601caf4f.JPGIMG_4028.thumb.JPG.983ac63deb738aed2ccc05fd6235300f.JPG

Yeah, it may not be the best cable ever, but it is complex enough for me to make before the 24 pin MOBO cable and won't be too conspicuous in case I screw something up.
The main goal here is really customize and reduce the amount of cable to hide, and make the cable pretty where it can't be hidden.
When you think that the original cable connects just 4 devices, when I have 5. That forced me to have two of them.
And the spacing between the connectors is much bigger than necessary, causing a lot of excessive cable to conceal between the storage units.

To relax after sleeving, I mounted the water blocks...
IMG_4022.thumb.JPG.1bf6058215397938736114763addb5ca.JPG

IMG_4024.thumb.JPG.f3bea9c62ed910c1a387b0fa65c2cec8.JPG

Cheers!

M

Hey folks!

So, everything was more or less going as planned. 

I had to stop sleeving because I ran out of sleeves. But that's ok.

I could sleeve the cables that are on the back of the case, and will be easy to replace the ones on the front after all.

The looks (except for the non-sleeved cables e.g. MOBO and PCI Express) is just what I was aiming for. 

I put it all together, bended the tubes, filled the loop in and started the leak test.

After half an hour everything looked stable and I booted up the rig.

Amazing 27ºC on IDLE and no more than 60ºC on preliminar stress test.

All of sudden the rig booted up by itself. Initially I thought it was because I pushed the stress test too far too soon.

No visible leaks, all fittings were dry and the paper showing no marks. 

It got worse and started rebooting and giving me some error codes.

I stopped everything and went for a leak hunt.

I never, never suspected that EK waterblock that comes already installed in Formula VII would leak.

I cannot describe how upsetting it was to see that.

It seems like the seal is not doing its job, would that be because I ran that for one year without WC, just air cooling?

I don't know.

But I spent hours looking into the stuff I added to the rig. I checked all fitings and blocks pipes before I even think of looking into this block, again "of course" I wouldn't question quality of an EK+Asus partnership!

And everything happened concealed under the black plastic plate that covers the MOBO.

IMG_7923_r.thumb.jpg.bb2e7f91099e8ed1e64f7b7b40f74223.jpg

IMG_7925_r2.thumb.jpg.a841ed394fc6b0b8e8a7ead84f285aea.jpg 

And the CPU socket was soaking wet!

Well, after a couple hours cleaning it up and using a hair dryer to dry it up, I could boot up the mobo again.

It seems it is alive.

Now, I cannot look at this pictures without cursing.

I am really thinking about giving up on this block and leaving the voltage regulators to do its work just air cooled.

What do you guys think?

Cheers!

M

Hey guys,
Here is where I am at:

IMG_7960.jpg.c82b907f24ea8d94403c8679ae904591.jpgIMG_7957.jpg.bfa9d42ece63f0f969053c993f07cdea.jpgIMG_7956.jpg.11e7a97ab1b57a92ca33855fa432e3e3.jpgIMG_7954.jpg.7ef07d226c1c3a3b0c7c152f438d9a68.jpgIMG_7952.thumb.jpg.8de88ca8bd2684a91f97ea744479112a.jpgIMG_7951.thumb.jpg.3edc30dde8fc0b79f92834563969a39f.jpg

Some missing things before calling it done:

1. Need to sleeve MOBO and PCI Express cables.
I ran out of sleeves, need to order - it will take some time to arrive.
2. Need to cut a window on the case lid for the GPU water block. 
I knew that would happen I just had to know the exact placement before cutting anything. 
It would be possible to add "stripes" of acrylic and make the sides taller, so the lid would sit higher than originally is, but to find the same material and match the holes and screws etc... just seems it will look better if I cut a rectangular hole on the lid to accomodate the tallest part of the water block
I was thinking on putting something there to cover and prevent dust from coming in the case, but not sure if I will find the right ornament, it is the water box inferno so, if I could just find the right thing...
3. VRM water block
Yeah, I got tipped off by that crack on the vrm water block. I can't find a replacement and I may try to fix it later... will see.

Just by looking at the picture I realize that I should fix the long left tube that goes into the processor wb to match the height of the one in the right.

I am ok with the looks so far, even though it may seem still a little messy, hopefully with the cables sleeved it will get better.
In fact I had to remove and reassemble so many times that I don't feel like I was careful enough to hide and tuck the cable properly in the last time.

I am really, really, really impressed with my temps. I mean, really, really, really... yeah you got it.

This is based on 4790k haswell, which has been known to have very high temps.
During stress test @4.6Ghz and cache @44x I got 60ºC.
Actually, before this mod I couldn't even run the Aida 64 with FPU test @ stock speed without thermal throttling.

So, I am happy with it! 
It is really quiet, I created my fan profiles so the rad on the right side would turn on @ 40º. 
At 50º the rad on the back would turn on and then at 60º the rad on the left would turn on, but that last one just happens sporadically and for a very short time during normal usage.

I let you know when I am fully done. Any comments and thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers!
M