GTX860M Lenovo Y50 Laptop runs Dota at 15 fps?

I have a Y50-70 laptop, with GTX860M graphic card, 8GB Ram and a i7-4710HQ. I have no idea why the whole laptop is so shitty. It is barely 2 years old but everything just runs so slow. I even lag at tetris battle. It may be caused by a fresh reformat that I have did with the laptop just a month ago. I downloaded Windows 10 in my pendrive and did a fresh reboot. But even so, I have updated all latest drivers and it should run perfectly, or so I thought. Any resolutions?

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

did you check if the games really run on the GTX GPU and not on the iGPU ?

yeah I enabled it in my Nvidia settings that I get to see what app is running on my GPU. It seems that the GTX 860M was really running dota

is it only slow in games or slow in general applications as well ?

5 minutes ago, hkeatmy said:

-

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

is it only slow in games or slow in general applications as well ?

slow in all applications. I seriously doubt that the performance I'm having now is anything in par with an i7 just 2 years ago

2 minutes ago, hkeatmy said:

slow in all applications. I seriously doubt that the performance I'm having now is anything in par with an i7 just 2 years ago

sounds weird ... what are the CPU clock speeds under load?

do you have a HDD or SSD in there?

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

sounds weird ... what are the CPU clock speeds under load?

do you have a HDD or SSD in there?

HDD. I run it at stock speed. 3.5ghz

Just now, hkeatmy said:

HDD. I run it at stock speed. 3.5ghz

have you checked the HDD with something like crystaldiskinfo?

i had a laptop that suddenly became very slow and laggy because the harddrive was starting to die and the system was trying to recover bad sectors all the time ... and there were hundreds ... that was when i decided to never put a HDD in a laptop ever again and go full SSD for everything portable

12 minutes ago, hkeatmy said:

slow in all applications

then that's not ur GPU's problem. You probably have a bad HDD or a ton of bloat on the laptop. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

1 hour ago, KenjiUmino said:

i had a laptop that suddenly became very slow and laggy because the harddrive was starting to die and the system was trying to recover bad sectors all the time ... and there were hundreds ... that was when i decided to never put a HDD in a laptop ever again and go full SSD for everything portable

HDD is healthy, my guess is the bloatware. Will try another clean reboot

1 hour ago, hkeatmy said:

HDD is healthy, my guess is the bloatware. Will try another clean reboot

where did you download windows 10 ? directly from the microsoft website?

then there should be no bloatware other than what you installed afterwards.

and honestly, you should really try to keep the number of running background applications, drivers, wizards and whatnot as low as possible (specially stay away from these "tuneup" utilities that promise to make your pc fast again) - windows 10 is bloated enough on its own IMO. 

Sorry... didnt read the OP well enough. Had a dumb. Happens often.

Clean out the vents. If it's 2 years old, pop off the bottom cover and blow out the vents with compressed air. A repaste might be in order too.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

Now I have made a clean reinstall and everything is running fine. I am seriously lost now. So what was the problem?

1 hour ago, hkeatmy said:

Now I have made a clean reinstall and everything is running fine. I am seriously lost now. So what was the problem?

blotware, bad installs and etc...

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 hours ago, Dackzy said:

blotware, bad installs and etc...

jup ... probably ... dunno why exactly but it feels like SOME fresh installs are simply not meant to last and doing everything over magically fixes issues even though I did everything the same way as before - or did I?

On 07/03/2017 at 6:24 PM, Pendragon said:

then that's not ur GPU's problem. You probably have a bad HDD or a ton of bloat on the laptop. 

On 07/03/2017 at 6:22 PM, KenjiUmino said:

Side question, I checked my hard drive using crystaldiskinfo and I got a yellow light and it said I had 300 bad sectors, what does that mean? Should I change drive straight away or is it fine for now? The laptop with this hard drive boots up fine and does everything as expected so?

16 hours ago, ramo55 said:

Side question, I checked my hard drive using crystaldiskinfo and I got a yellow light and it said I had 300 bad sectors, what does that mean? Should I change drive straight away or is it fine for now? The laptop with this hard drive boots up fine and does everything as expected so?

back this drive up and keep and eye on those bad sectors

300 bad sectors is no joke and you should think about replacing that drive some time soon either way, but if you see that number increasing over a short period of time like 100 new sectors gone bad every other day then you REALLY should get a new drive ASAP. 

On 07/03/2017 at 5:54 PM, hkeatmy said:

I have a Y50-70 laptop, with GTX860M graphic card, 8GB Ram and a i7-4710HQ. I have no idea why the whole laptop is so shitty. It is barely 2 years old but everything just runs so slow. I even lag at tetris battle. It may be caused by a fresh reformat that I have did with the laptop just a month ago. I downloaded Windows 10 in my pendrive and did a fresh reboot. But even so, I have updated all latest drivers and it should run perfectly, or so I thought. Any resolutions?

It's because it's a Lenovo

11 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

It's because it's a Lenovo

and what does that have to do with it ?

Use the little arrow button next to the power button to boot into the BIOS. Disable the discrete video card and reboot into windows. Run DOTA and see if the problem is exactly the same. It really does seem like the problem is it's running on the wrong card. Also, get throttlestop. If you are afraid of running an OC then you can just set it to disable BDPROCHOT which throttles the sheeeet out of your CPU. Be sure to turn throttlestop on, however. That mistake happens a lot since it doesn't run automatically when you open it the first time.

But I really do believe your 860m so see if disabling it in BIOS yields the same results you are experiencing now. If it is the case then you are gonna have to spend some time with the Google to find the solution as I can't remember it off the top of my head. I had the same problem with the Rainbow Six beta. It saw the 860m, but wasn't actually using the 860m.

On 3/7/2017 at 0:02 PM, hkeatmy said:

yeah I enabled it in my Nvidia settings that I get to see what app is running on my GPU. It seems that the GTX 860M was really running dota

Screenshot this for us por favor.