Budget build CPU and MOBO

Hey guys, I'm looking to finish off my budget AMD build and I'm just down to the motherboard and processor choice now, my budget is about €200 (for both) currently I'm torn between the Gigabyte 990X SLI, the ASUS M5A99X (Rev. 2.0) or the M5A99FX 

Which is best and why? 

Thanks in advance,

Dylan.

Neither, FX is a dead architecture now. Get a G4560 or a cheap i3/i5 with a compatible motherboard

Hate it when people won't just answer a question. "no, buy a dual core intel instead." Great answer.

Both are good mobo's, I own the ASUS M5A99X r2.0 and it's great for overclocking. The gigabyte board looks good as well, go with whatever you like more for looks or brand. I prefer Asus bios' myself so I always go for Asus when possible.

16 minutes ago, Necrodead said:

Hate it when people won't just answer a question. "no, buy a dual core intel instead." Great answer.

Both are good mobo's, I own the ASUS M5A99X r2.0 and it's great for overclocking. The gigabyte board looks good as well, go with whatever you like more for looks or brand. I prefer Asus bios' myself so I always go for Asus when possible.

Yeah, I prefer the looks of the Gigabyte board and the dedicated USB ports for USB audio interfaces is a huge plus for me along with USB 3.1 and Type C male and female connectors, I heard they have VRM/chipset heat issues though, is this any better on the Asus boards? 

22 minutes ago, Necrodead said:

Well when the dual core intel is better in gaming than most amd offerings (and is also cheaper) and offers an upgrade path yeah it's much better

10 minutes ago, david cassar said:

Well when the dual core intel is better in gaming than most amd offerings (and is also cheaper) and offers an upgrade path yeah it's much better

In fairness, I wasn't asking for Intel offerings as I already have an i5 system

Just now, Dylanc431 said:

In fairness, I wasn't asking for Intel offerings as I already have an i5 system

I thought you were just looking for the best cpu and mobo under 200 euro. Either way, you can't go wrong with either of those motherboards since they all have decent power phases. I would personally get the gigabyte 990x sli due to the looks.

4 minutes ago, david cassar said:

I thought you were just looking for the best cpu and mobo under 200 euro. Either way, you can't go wrong with either of those motherboards since they all have decent power phases. I would personally get the gigabyte 990x sli due to the looks.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking that myself, so far going Black, Red and White colour scheme for the build

2 hours ago, Dylanc431 said:

Yeah, I prefer the looks of the Gigabyte board and the dedicated USB ports for USB audio interfaces is a huge plus for me along with USB 3.1 and Type C male and female connectors, I heard they have VRM/chipset heat issues though, is this any better on the Asus boards? 

VRMs will get hot on either board when overclocking, my old gigabyte 990-fxa ud3 had really small heatsinks and didn't do a good job, Gigabyte has since fixed their newer boards with much bigger heatsinks and even a heat pipe so it will be fine.

You can get a brand new i3 6100 for $88 from Fry's or Microcenter and will offer better performance than any FX processor.

If you slam two rocks together hard enough you'll get more compute performance from the impact than what comes out of FX series CPU. 

2 hours ago, Necrodead said:

Should we encourage a poor financial decision?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Should we encourage a poor financial decision?

Do you know what his workloads are? No you do not. 

I think everyone on LTT has forgotten that you can do more than just game on a PC.

3 hours ago, Dylanc431 said:

currently I'm torn between the Gigabyte 990X SLI, the ASUS M5A99X (Rev. 2.0) or the M5A99FX 

If your choices are limited to those 3, I'd say the M5A99FX (R2.0 I assume?) due to VRM cooling. I would trust it more to overclock. The M5A99X should be an option only to cut costs.The Gigabyte has some advantages due to being newer, like the M.2 slot if you plan to use it, or USB 3.1. If you don't plan to OC then just go for the features you need. If OC is a must, I'd trust the Asus FX to have an edge, but I would look for other users' experiences with the Gigabyte.

3 minutes ago, Necrodead said:

Do you know what his workloads are? No you do not. 

I think everyone on LTT has forgotten that you can do more than just game on a PC.

This is about overall performance, not just gaming.  It's not like I'm suggesting a GPU.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440