Good Intel CPU for gaming

I was wondering which CPU would be better for gaming I've been looking at the i5 7600, i5 7600k, and the i7 7700

I don't do any professional work other than light photoshop work and gaming on a 1080p monitor.

I have an MSI r9 380 4g currently but would like to eventually get a 1070 so I wasn't sure of a bottle neck of the i5s

Price does play a role but if spending and extra $100 on the i7 yields better future proofness for lack of a better work and leaves the door open for streaming and more performance than the $100 price isn't bad but if it doesn't yield much then there would be no point.

I'd say an i5 for 1080p gaming. 

What games do you play? I'd go with the i7 7700k just for gaming.

In terms of a CPU that can handle streaming/photo editing, etc. extremely well, I'd recommend considering the Ryzen 1700.

2 minutes ago, yummiesttag said:

Price does play a role but if spending and extra $100 on the i7 yields better future proofness for lack of a better work and leaves the door open for streaming and more performance than the $100 price isn't bad but if it doesn't yield much then there would be no point.

I would recommend the 7700K if you can afford it and overclock it. It holds up really well. However, it depends on how much you stream. The 7600K is pretty great as well.

As for the 1070, my 2700K overclocked holds up to it pretty well (Yeah, I was too cheap to upgrade to kaby lake and went from a 2500K to a 2700K for $100 used). I regret not having paid that extra $100 back in 2011 for a 2600K. There's a pretty good gain from hyper threading alone.

Almost no i5 will bottleneck a 1080, much less a 1070. You would be fine with an i5 7600K or i5 6600K

Edit: the $100 differance is worth it for the i7 especially if you are streaming

So for my application it's safe to say the i7 would be over kill?

As for games mostly mainstream titles are what I play.

The reason the i7 was considered is because an i5 7600k and a MSI Z motherboard came close to the i7 non k so it was suggested to me to buy the i7 for the better performance gains and cores.

overcloking is something I've thought about but never looked into I know I wouldn't get an i7k but an i5k I would I don't really want to spend more than $500 and the i7 7700 build I had was $530 something

18 minutes ago, yummiesttag said:

So for my application it's safe to say the i7 would be over kill?

As for games mostly mainstream titles are what I play.

The reason the i7 was considered is because an i5 7600k and a MSI Z motherboard came close to the i7 non k so it was suggested to me to buy the i7 for the better performance gains and cores.

overcloking is something I've thought about but never looked into I know I wouldn't get an i7k but an i5k I would I don't really want to spend more than $500 and the i7 7700 build I had was $530 something

If all you'll be doing is gaming, then yes, you will be completely fine with an i5 7600k.

41 minutes ago, yummiesttag said:

-snip-

Yeah, I would think the 7600K is plenty. Unless you like to stream...a lot.

You should overclock regardless.

I will probably use a separate pc to stream now that I think about it but I basically never stream.

I believe I'm going to get a i5 7600k

Thank you all for your help