What will make me happier (1080 SLI/1080 TI)

Azrael2k8
2 hours ago, Morgan Everett said:

Regardless of whether you think it's a good idea, there's no need to engage in hyperbole like this. 

OP: I would wait to see what AMD does with Vega at this point, especially in view of the monitor you have. But if you can't wait, go for the 1080 Ti over SLI 1080's.

What? There are no problems with SLI. I run SLI every day, have for months on these cards. Not once have I had a problem related to the cards being in SLI.

What happenes is people think 5 years ago, is now. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Well try that same benchmark in watch dogs 2. I guarantee you will not see that same scaling.

You mean SHIT dogs 2 ? Yet ANOTHER non optimized piece of shit

Let's agree to disagree

5 hours ago, Azrael2k8 said:

So, I'm usually playing anything from BF1, Far Cry, Rainbow Six Siege, Steep and watch dogs 2. I know that SLi can be difficult with some games but I might be ok as long as once card alone is able to give me a good quality as a fallback option in case SLI is troubled.

However I want to ask in case I did not get this right, assuming SLI is working good what would be the ranking of the options since you threw in the titan X

Is it like this?

1. 1080 SLI
  2. Titan X
  3. 1080 Ti

1080Ti is better than the titan X in games. (if we go by Nvidia's figures.)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, MrTiC said:

You mean SHIT dogs 2 ? Yet ANOTHER non optimized piece of shit

Yeah... That's my point. badly coded games don't run SLI very well.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

11 hours ago, App4that said:

Misinformation, I use SLI daily without a problem.

Subjective issue. Early access games will not be optimised for SLI straight away (TotalBiscuit talked about it last year). With single GPU there is 99% guarantee there will be no issues whatsoever. So that is why single card > SLI. Always depends on the user.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Get a 1080 ti and sell the 1080 that way you get some money back.

Depends on which is cheaper for you, 1080Ti and Vega release should/might drop prices.

If money is no issue why not 1080Ti SLI?

I use 1080 SLI @ 4k, depends on which games you play.

I can tell GTA V/Online, Witcher 3, HITMAN 2016,Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 3 (slightly bad scalling might just be me) run all fine.

Only game I personally had problems was Batman Arkham Knight, but that game was always broken, so probably not a SLI issue.

Also I run stock clocks in GTA because GTA is stupid in that regard ,even my GTX 1060 OC doesn't work (again no SLI issue).

btw. don't go cheap on the 4k Monitor, I did and now I regret it, get G-sync.

6 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

1080Ti is better than the titan X in games. (if we go by Nvidia's figures.)

Ok, thanks.

54 minutes ago, 10lawsonl said:

Get a 1080 ti and sell the 1080 that way you get some money back.

I fear that the money I get for the 1080 will be way less than what I paid.

26 minutes ago, ZeBuzzSaw said:

Depends on which is cheaper for you, 1080Ti and Vega release should/might drop prices.

If money is no issue why not 1080Ti SLI?

I use 1080 SLI @ 4k, depends on which games you play.

I can tell GTA V/Online, Witcher 3, HITMAN 2016,Rise of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 3 (slightly bad scalling might just be me) run all fine.

Only game I personally had problems was Batman Arkham Knight, but that game was always broken, so probably not a SLI issue.

Also I run stock clocks in GTA because GTA is stupid in that regard ,even my GTX 1060 OC doesn't work (again no SLI issue).

btw. don't go cheap on the 4k Monitor, I did and now I regret it, get G-sync.

Since several posted this, I will wait for Vega. Even if their cards are not better than the TI there might be a price drop, so I will wait. Even though money is not an issue I don't want to throw it out of the window.

SLI has the additional downside that I don't like air cooled graphic cards in SLI because usually one is getting too hot, so I will switch to a custom water cooling loop.

For now my decsision is the following: Get a 1080 Ti after vega price drop happened. Maybe get a second one after I switched to water cooling and then let it rest for some years.

Btw. With 1 or 2 1080 Ti, will my "old" i7 6700 (no K) become a bottleneck?

8 hours ago, App4that said:

What? There are no problems with SLI.

But that simply isn't true. The problems with SLI are well documented. That isn't to say it's a bad solution for everyone, but it does mean it's not a good one for everyone, too.

5 hours ago, Azrael2k8 said:

Ok, thanks.

I fear that the money I get for the 1080 will be way less than what I paid.

Since several posted this, I will wait for Vega. Even if their cards are not better than the TI there might be a price drop, so I will wait. Even though money is not an issue I don't want to throw it out of the window.

SLI has the additional downside that I don't like air cooled graphic cards in SLI because usually one is getting too hot, so I will switch to a custom water cooling loop.

For now my decsision is the following: Get a 1080 Ti after vega price drop happened. Maybe get a second one after I switched to water cooling and then let it rest for some years.

Btw. With 1 or 2 1080 Ti, will my "old" i7 6700 (no K) become a bottleneck?

That's why you get blower style cards if you have any desire at all to run SLI, because then you don't have to worry about whether or not the heat will become an issue.  Are they less efficient cooling with one?  Yeah, but they are significantly better with two so it's a good trade-off IMO.  I'm about to build a new system and I'm not sure I want to bother with SLI this time so I'll probably go with a normal cooler, but then if I decide to SLI later I know I'll have to sell that and buy two Founders Edition cards instead.

As for water: don't bother.  Most people who do it don't actually need it for performance and are just doing it for vanity reasons, you also add higher cost and a significant amount of maintenance than you have with air.  What makes a much bigger difference is the case and the size/number (and quality) of fans you put in.  I have the Corsair 750d and am running mostly Noctua and Spectre PWM 140mm fans, they keep my case super cool and are whisper quiet. 

Also, I wouldn't count on the 1080ti dropping in price because of Vega... if Vega ends up between the 1080 and 1080ti in performance then it's unlikely that there will be a drop.  I'm not saying there is no chance, but I wouldn't plan on it, especially if Vega is in the next couple months.

My view of SLI, having recently sold my second 1080 after using SLI for a few months is that SLI's future is too unstable to be relied upon in new games. So take Battlefield 1, its launched and had SLI support, but for a month and a half had a glitch that made SLI unusable due to flickering(fixed now). So even though I had two cards and one was useless in that game. For me BF is a main game so it impacted me a lot, however in GTA 5, all worked well.

It just a bit difficult to say "yes, go spend $500" on something that may not work 100% of the time for everything you want it too. I won't go with SLI again, but Im not running 4k ultra either. 

I would look very hard at what games you actually play now and want better fps in, and see how well SLI works for those games. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Ive been using SLI for years on my old 670's. Apart from the latest AAA games over the last few years "not played any". Ive only had one game problem. That was Planetside 2. My game ran alot faster with SLI switched off however. This time around im getting a single card solution. This is due to the resolution of my monitor. If i get two 1080ti at 1080p 120hz its will bottleneck my CPU way much more than one GTX 1080TI that means i will have to buy an upgraded monitor as well. TBH dont want to spend money on two graphics cards and a monitor at the same time. If i stick with one card and its fine no upgrade needed. If its not then i can just buy the monitor without the second GPU :)

13 hours ago, Thony said:

Subjective issue. Early access games will not be optimised for SLI straight away (TotalBiscuit talked about it last year). With single GPU there is 99% guarantee there will be no issues whatsoever. So that is why single card > SLI. Always depends on the user.

Welcome to the world, of today.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

ti OC to its limit could take on 1080sli on stock clocks (from what nivida claim)

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

20 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yeah... That's my point. badly coded games don't run SLI very well.

True, but badly coded games dont run well anyway, so thats that

Let's agree to disagree

12 hours ago, CatXice said:

ti OC to its limit could take on 1080sli on stock clocks (from what nivida claim)

What they claim and what they actually achieve is again something different but thanks for your input. I mean look at their MSRP off 699 USD and the store shows 819€ for me. That's pretty much the price of two used 1080. I am still not sure about my decision but since I already have a 1080 I will probably go with another one. That should be sufficient power for the next years of gaming to come.

There is nothing wrong with sli at all 

it's almost perfect 

wish u guys would stop regurgitating shit from the GTx 480 days

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

16 hours ago, CatXice said:

Why doesn't it oc 70 percent 

I call bs

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933