Win 10 and linux

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

You can use a USB stick

Check Settings > About section, it should tell the code or look at the back of the laptop. But most likely it's tied to your mobo and you should not need to worry much

To go to BIOS you need to hit a specific key (read manual or look at the screen it should tell)

You can restart to BIOS from Windows 10 too

Hi, im going to dual boot linux onto my win 10 laptop. if somthing goes wrong and i need to reinstall windows how do i do it without a CD, it came pre installed. and i also do not know the activation code for it. The laptop is an msi ghost pro and i know ill need to get onto the BIOS but when it starts up it just boots straight to windows with no BIOS options? any ideas?TIA

You can use a USB stick

Check Settings > About section, it should tell the code or look at the back of the laptop. But most likely it's tied to your mobo and you should not need to worry much

To go to BIOS you need to hit a specific key (read manual or look at the screen it should tell)

You can restart to BIOS from Windows 10 too

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-media-creation-tool-create-installation-media-upgrade  you can use this to make a usb installation drive. to get to bios usually hit the del key or F2 while starting (I just keep tapping so it doesn't manage to slip by) 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

well i just tried to install it, install alongside windows 10 and disable secure boot. it installed itself onto my storage drive and not the M.2 windows is on and when the laptop boots it just goes right to windows, dosent even show the bootloader.

If Linux is installed on the second drive - you need to tell your BIOS to boot to that drive and not the M.2 drive in order for the GRUB bootloader to give you the option of which OS to boot into.

Just now, robertpartridge said:

If Linux is installed on the second drive - you need to tell your BIOS to boot to that drive and not the M.2 drive in order for the GRUB bootloader to give you the option of which OS to boot into.

Id rather have it on the M.2 as the storage drive is nearly full with games and photos etc.

I don't blame you.  During Linux install you'll need to be aware of what partitioning options you choose.  Try disconnecting the storage drive while you do the install and try installing again.

Just now, robertpartridge said:

I don't blame you.  During Linux install you'll need to be aware of what partitioning options you choose.  Try disconnecting the storage drive while you do the install and try installing again.

can really disconnect as its a laptop and dont wanna mess about removing it.

1 minute ago, robertpartridge said:

Duh.  Brainfart.  

lol, ill try again and see what happens.

Try adjusting the partition in Windows to create free space on the M.2 then reinstall and do manual partition option to select the free space you made to use for root.

Also make sure that you install the boot loader (GRUB) to the M.2 drive.  I'm going to assume this will be /dev/sda but having not installed to an M.2 before I cannot say for 100% certainty.

It's also highly recommended any time you mess with operating systems to make sure your data is backed up somewhere ... just in case.