can I install drivers before I pit the gpu in?

yoloswaginabox

Hey guys I am gonna be putting in a new graphics card tommorow, changing from onboard graphics and I was wondering if its fine to install the drivers for the card before I put it in? And do I disable the onboard graphics chip?

No. The onboard automatically disables itself when a video card is detected. At least that's what happened to me.

You can but there might be some problems if you install the drivers before installing the card. And you don't need to disable on board graphics, that's all automatic.

Ok, but I was wondering how does your gpu work for you to be able to go on the internet and download the drivers? Dont you need to download the drivers for your gpu and computer to work and the gpu to work to download the drivers?

Ok, but I was wondering how does your gpu work for you to be able to go on the internet and download the drivers? Dont you need to download the drivers for your gpu and computer to work and the gpu to work to download the drivers?

Windows has default drivers that will handle the display until you install the GPU drivers.

Windows will do this for Mice, keyboards, Network cards....etc to get things usable until you install the full drivers.

The GPU and Windows both come with basic drivers. Your resolution might be eye-shatteringly low, or you might experience some odd color problems, but it's enough to let you use your machine and download the drivers required for your card.

Blackout - Intel Core i5-4670K | Xigmatek Dark Knight II Nighthawk Ed. | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 (2GB) | 8GB Corsair Vengeance Mem. | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Mobo | 250GB Samsung 840 Series SSD | 1TB WD Black HDD | Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660w PSU