Spare SSD, what to do with it?

keenhydra

Hello,

My current drive configuration in my build is 1x512Gb Crucial SSD, and 5TB of spanned HDD volume(2TB+2TB+2TB) 

As of now my windows OS is running off the SSD of course. But I also happen to have a spare 120GB Evo860 SSD laying around. 

I have 3 options what to do with it as far as I know

1. Is it possible to transfer my OS to the smaller SSD and use the Crucial just for installs? 

2. Or should I turn both SSD into a spanned install volume?

3. Install the Evo in my laptop and run the OS off it while using the 1TB HDD in there for storage and install?

I'm open to suggestions, I just hate having something laying around and not using it ?

1 minute ago, keenhydra said:

Hello,

My current drive configuration in my build is 1x512Gb Crucial SSD, and 5TB of spanned HDD volume(2TB+2TB+2TB) 

As of now my windows OS is running off the SSD of course. But I also happen to have a spare 120GB Evo860 SSD laying around. 

I have 3 options what to do with it as far as I know

1. Is it possible to transfer my OS to the smaller SSD and use the Crucial just for installs? 

2. Or should I turn both SSD into a spanned install volume?

3. Install the Evo in my laptop and run the OS off it while using the 1TB HDD in there for storage and install?

I'm open to suggestions, I just hate having something laying around and not using it ?

My vote = 3 -  Install the Evo in my laptop and run the OS off it while using the 1TB HDD in there for storage

Just now, Rohime said:

My vote = 3 -  Install the Evo in my laptop and run the OS off it while using the 1TB HDD in there for storage

Would be OS and chrome and Spotify for quick boots between classes. Are you sure that's enough space tho?

8 minutes ago, keenhydra said:

Would be OS and chrome and Spotify for quick boots between classes. Are you sure that's enough space tho?

Yes, for quite a while ...BUT:  

1) you will need to be clever about where things like music and photos and the like go (onto HDD not SSD)

2) You will need to manage the space occasionally to whittle out accumulated junk, but yes.  How long between space management activities depends on your usage habits.

If you want to do it and never worry about space, then no, it is not enough.

11 minutes ago, Rohime said:

Yes, for quite a while ...BUT:  

1) you will need to be clever about where things like music and photos and the like go (onto HDD not SSD)

2) You will need to manage the space occasionally to whittle out accumulated junk, but yes.  How long between space management activities depends on your usage habits.

If you want to do it and never worry about space, then no, it is not enough.

For a laptop it should be pretty straight forward and I'm not storing that much on it and my college work usually happens online so I only need chrome on it. 

Think I'll just do that since I don't really need an optical drive anymore :P

12 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

use it for dual boot so you can boot linux

I have no use or understanding for linus

2 minutes ago, keenhydra said:

I have no use or understanding for linus

Hopefully not the case for those that work for him.

Just now, Rohime said:

Hopefully not the case for those that work for him.

Linux* autocorrect screwed me there :D

put it back in your PC and install linux on it. profit. protip, watch youtube video's of ubuntu or linux mint. it's a good starting point at using a real OS (*nix)

I happen to also have a 512GB NVMe drive as boot (for archlinux), than a 240GB SSD for $windows. and 6TB of internal HDD's.