Microsoft Confirms Xbox "VR" Headset

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paullamkin/2017/03/02/microsoft-confirms-xbox-one-vr-headset-incoming/#66e9ab32ea67

It has been rumored for a while now but Microsoft seems to have finally confirm a VR* headset for the Xbox.

What's with the asterisk? Well, Microsoft keeps calling this product a "mixed reality headset".

“We’re also excited to share that Windows Mixed Reality experiences will light up on other devices over time, beyond desktop and Microsoft HoloLens. Our plan is to bring mixed reality content to the Xbox One family of devices, including Project Scorpio, in 2018.”  

So, the product would probably launch alongside Project Scorpio, which is Microsoft's upcoming Xbox that will support native 4K rendering and HDR in 2016. 

Considering the kind of power that Project Scorpio is supposed to have, this means that Microsoft could probably build a headset comparable to the flagship VR headsets by HTC and Oculus and have them preform on par with those afore mentioned headset with high frame rates. They might not have to tone down the specs the way Sony did with PSVR with its single 60hrz 1080p pannel (I think that is the spec but don't quote me on it)

However, the biggest question as with all of these products is the price. Hopefully Microsoft will be able to price the Xbox and the headset at a competitive price that is a little cheaper than the flagship pc headsets. I think that would be very interesting to see.

I'd like to hear other people's thoughts about this. Was there a big point that I might have missed. Don't hesitate to reply.

Current Rig (rekt)

Core i7 6950x; Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10;  Corsair Dominatior Platinum 64gb (4x16); Nvidia Gtx Titan X (Pascal) x2; Lian Li PC-08WBW;

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

I wonder if it will actually have very many games supported at launch...

Yea, I think that's a really big thing. Need for good games.

Current Rig (rekt)

Core i7 6950x; Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10;  Corsair Dominatior Platinum 64gb (4x16); Nvidia Gtx Titan X (Pascal) x2; Lian Li PC-08WBW;

YAY more VR, another member in the race and someone who can afford to spend a lot on development

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

1 minute ago, themaniac said:

YAY more VR, another member in the race and someone who can afford to spend a lot on development

I think that's a good point. Microsoft is a company that can spend tons of money into investigating and developing cheaper ways to get this tech to the mainstream. If they need $$ just ask Mr. Gates. That guy actually can't get rid of his wealth. He earns it too fast it's basically impossible for him.

Current Rig (rekt)