AMD Ryzen reviewers say: - Either experiencing weird results or not recommened for gaming

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

wait .. what?!

You said this: "mind you the R5 chips will have significantly lower perf than R7." I will now add detail to what I said and paraphrase myself: If we're talking about multithreaded performance, yes, the R5 will have worse performance (obviously -- it has less cores).  If we're discussing singlethreaded performance, however, the R5s should be better than the R7s because they should be able to clock higher.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

22 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

the R5s should be better than the R7s because they should be able to clock higher.

right now it's speculation

greatly depends if the R5 chips will be rated with a lower TDP or same as R7 - because if they get a lower rating, the chips will be artificially limited within the thermal envelope

But guys, Ryzen 7 isn't for gaming.

ggsgsdffsd.PNG

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

ggsgsdffsd.PNG

Exactly, and they didn't show a Ryzen Vs Intel test playing Battlefield 1 at all the demos over the last few months either, right?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

right now it's speculation

greatly depends if the R5 chips will be rated with a lower TDP or same as R7 - because if they get a lower rating, the chips will be artificially limited within the thermal envelope

Right, which is why I said, "should."  You stated what you said as a fact.  That is what I had a problem with.  I also feel as though it's more likely than not that R5 chips will be better at gaming than R7s.

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Just now, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Right, which is why I said, "should."  You stated what you said as a fact.  That is what I had a problem with.  I also feel as though it's more likely than not that R5 chips will be better at gaming than R7s.

"greatly depends" sound to you like fact?

what is fact is the dependence on the TDP

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Not just TDP, for all we know the silicon just doesn't clock well (I'd really like to see someone test disabling four of the cores on an R7 and seeing what overclocks are achievable). That also assumes there are no bios issues causing problems with higher clockspeeds. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

ggsgsdffsd.PNG

They looked, and they didn't accomplish that (with debatable exceptions perhaps). Doesn't mean all is lost. For gaming and all-around processing, they have compelling arguments at their price points.

Just means that if you're only going to play games, and you don't do much productivity or creation on your PC, Intel still is king. If you can make use the processor for other things, then AMD has some options for you.

People like to make things black and white, but it is never that simple.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

(I'd really like to see someone test disabling four of the cores on an R7 and seeing what overclocks are achievable)

from something it was discussed me thinks the OC will be just as shit

why? it appears that AMD pushed the clocks to the max (factory OC) - that's why the 1800X OC for shit and XFR barely does anything

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

from something it was discussed me thinks the OC will be just as shit

why? it appears that AMD pushed the clocks to the max (factory OC) - that's why the 1800X OC for shit and XFR barely does anything

Could you provide links to some of that information?  Would like to see you post some more substantive content than what I've been seeing...  Most of the OC stuff that I've seen is showing somewhere around 3.9 to 4.1 Ghz across 8 cores (at something around 1.415 volts?) for the R7 lineup on liquid.  In the stock configuration, the XFR pushes 4.1 Ghz to only a single core.  I'll agree that it's not the end all to be all of OC-ing capabilities but it is a newly released Architecture and Process for AMD.

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

Could you provide links to some of that information?  Would like to see you post some more substantive content than what I've been seeing...  Most of the OC stuff that I've seen is showing somewhere around 3.9 to 4.1 Ghz across 8 cores (at something around 1.415 volts?) for the R7 lineup on liquid.  In the stock configuration, the XFR pushes 4.1 Ghz to only a single core.  I'll agree that it's not the end all to be all of OC-ing capabilities but it is a newly released Architecture and Process for AMD.

I've seen so many videos and read so many articles I don't remember who said what

for OCing and XFR it should be easily searchable to the peeps who did OCing benchmarks

OC3D has some OCing

I've seen so many videos and read so many articles I don't remember who said what

for OCing and XFR it should be easily searchable to the peeps who did OCing benchmarks

OC3D has some OCing

I saw that one and thought he did a decent job of explaining it in his video...  The one I found most interesting was over at overclockersclub where they got the 1700 to overclock a bit better than the 1800X (4.1 Ghz to 4.05 Ghz).  

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_ryzen_7_1800x_1700x_1700/

21 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

1700 to overclock a bit better than the 1800X (4.1 Ghz to 4.05 Ghz

xD

because 7 8 9

52 minutes ago, zMeul said:

"mind you the R5 chips will have significantly lower perf than R7," sounds like fact.

I do not disagree.

It also seems like Ryzen may have a bit of a heat problem past 4 ghz based on the confirmed R5 1600x boost speed, so, while it'll probably be better single-threaded performance when overclocked (again, assuming decent TDP) (https://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2017/03/03/amd-announces-ryzen-5-1600x-and-1500x-faster-than-expected-these-are-the-real-intel-beaters/#5e8fb0b555ea), it might not be as phenominal an overclocker as people may like to see.

4 minutes ago, Seamonster420 said:

God dammit AMD this is the last time I let your hurt me like this!

AMD hurted you only if you believed the hype 

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

That's the thing, I totally bought it hook line and sinker. I mean, when the release date keeps getting pushed back year after year the end result is usually something worthwhile right? Sarcasm definitely implied. I dunno man, AMD always struck me as being a very pro-consumer company with their "by gamers for gamers" mantra and open source technology like freesync and whatnot. I'm not that surprised that they weren't able to deliver honestly, I'm more surprised that they seem to have been quite deceptive when they unveiled the benchmarks for Ryzen. The fact that they showed off things CB scores and not actual game benchmarks should have been a big tip off.

1 minute ago, Seamonster420 said:

That's the thing, I totally bought it hook line and sinker. I mean, when the release date keeps getting pushed back year after year the end result is usually something worthwhile right? Sarcasm definitely implied. I dunno man, AMD always struck me as being a very pro-consumer company with their "by gamers for gamers" mantra and open source technology like freesync and whatnot. I'm not that surprised that they weren't able to deliver honestly, I'm more surprised that they seem to have been quite deceptive when they unveiled the benchmarks for Ryzen. The fact that they showed off things CB scores and not actual game benchmarks should have been a big tip off.

oh hey showed gaming ...

what you need to understand is that these companies are not your friend, they exists and will continue to exist only to make money - that's their primary goal

"open source" .. doesn't mean shit when the quality of your open source projects is not satisfactory

don't believe the hype, wait for the reviews; and more importantly: don't pre-order!

27 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Even if you believed the hype, you didnt get hurt. AMD claimed slightly worst IPC then Broadwell-E. Some retards leaked bullshit, that's different.

PS: There's a massive flaw in everyone's reviews tho. They dont represent real world gaming. Name me 1 gamer that plays without a browser with at least 3-4 tabs open, that doesnt have a voice or chat app running, that isnt listening to music or watching videos on the side. That doesnt have a few useful apps like ShareX or any periphericals software or any combination of this. and a game is relatively demanding, your 7700k/7600k is going to get bottlenecked and lose pretty hard. 

Lemh9mA.png

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

oh hey showed gaming ...

what you need to understand is that these companies are not your friend, they exists and will continue to exist only to make money - that's their primary goal

"open source" .. doesn't mean shit when the quality of your open source projects is not satisfactory

don't believe the hype, wait for the reviews; and more importantly: don't pre-order!

I made the mistake of forgetting that. Luckily no pre-order for me, I learned my lesson on that a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

PS: There's a massive flaw in everyone's reviews tho. They dont represent real world gaming. Name me 1 gamer that plays without a browser with at least 3-4 tabs open, that doesnt have a voice or chat app running, that isnt listening to music or watching videos on the side. That doesnt have a few useful apps like ShareX or any periphericals software or any combination of this.

me

Just now, zMeul said:

me

sure buddy.

The only thing I ever agreed with you, on.

13 minutes ago, RagnarokDel said:

sure buddy.

having browser open

for what? are you gaming or browsing? and why would you have a major memory hog opened?

voice chat

for what? I usually don't play MP games that mandate voice chat - if you can't type, fuck off

listening to music

if I go for atmosphere, I don't play random music and let the game guide me

playing musing isn't even a CPU load concern

watching videos on the side

again .. you're gaming or watching videos?