Getting my discord bot onto a web hoster

KingUnicorn

I have a discord bot that I use on my server, however it runs off of my desktop right now. The thing is, I do not keep my PC on 24/7, so the bot is offline the majority of the time. I want people to be able to use the music function and all of the other features all they want, so my plan is to get it onto a web hosting site. I heard that an Amazon EC2 is perfect, and it's free for a year too. I can either use a windows or a linux version of it (either of them are still free for a year). The actual problem is that I have no idea how to even get it onto there. Does anyone know how I could do this? The bot is just Red discord bot (Github source for the bot) that I have running for a bot account on my server. The bot runs off of python. If I can't get it onto an EC2 server, are there any other services or ideas for doing this for my bot to keep it up as close to 24/7 as possible? preferably free, because I do not have any money. If i had the money I would just buy a Raspberry Pi and run it off of there, however I do not have any money at all to do this. Any help in this is greatly appreciated. any other information needed will be provided.

Also, if I am able to get it onto an EC2 server, should I use the Linux instance, or the Windows Server instance? I can use either of them, so it really is just which one I think will work best. I have no experience with Linux, so I'm leaning towards the Windows Server. And if I wanted to add a folder to the bot (to add more functions, like adding roles and banning people using a command), how would I be able to do that while it's still on the server?

I also did not know whether to post this in the website forum thing, or programming. I decided programming, but i really don't know

The smartest idiot you will ever find

Use linux, connect to it via ssh, run the script and you're done, t2.micro instances are free for 750 hours per month (1 for 1 month or 2 for half a month) so use that one :)
if you want to add folders to the bot, connect an S3 bucket to your instance and put the files on that, then copy them to your ec2 instance with the tutorial down below :) 

http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AmazonS3.html

1 minute ago, mikat said:

Use linux, connect to it via ssh, run the script and you're done, t2.micro instances are free for 750 hours per month (1 for 1 month or 2 for half a month) so use that one :)
if you want to add folders to the bot, connect an EFS volume to your instance and put the files on that, then copy them to your EBS (local vm storage) :) 

okay while I greatly appreciate the fast help, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have very little experience in programming (trying to learn basic code, however I only actually know HTML and some CSS). Do you think you can give me a link to a guide or explain it in terms that I, a tech nerd who knows a lot, but NOT this, can understand? I can kind of understand some parts of that, like using linux to do it and all, but most everything else I need an explanation on

15 minutes ago, Potato_King said:

okay while I greatly appreciate the fast help, I have no idea what you're talking about. I have very little experience in programming (trying to learn basic code, however I only actually know HTML and some CSS). Do you think you can give me a link to a guide or explain it in terms that I, a tech nerd who knows a lot, but NOT this, can understand? I can kind of understand some parts of that, like using linux to do it and all, but most everything else I need an explanation on

Getting started with EC2: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/EC2_GetStarted.html

I assume you're on windows?

windows: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/putty.html

linux: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AccessingInstancesLinux.html

^both for linux vms, windows link is for windows computers :)

Just now, Potato_King said:

Danke! I'm going to read through this. If I need any more help I will be sure to ping you

if you have any more questions, feel free to add me on discord  (mikat#9603) as I will respond sooner than on the forum since i also have notifications on my phone for discord :)

7 hours ago, mikat said:

if you have any more questions, feel free to add me on discord  (mikat#9603) as I will respond sooner than on the forum since i also have notifications on my phone for discord :)

Tried adding you to discord but it says that it doesnt work. was gonna ask you about what AMI to use. I haven't even set up the instance, so I'm trying to get that to work. There are a crap ton of AMI's i could choose in the free tier, the majority being linux, and i have no idea which one to choose. if you could add me on discord that would work better for both of us. my discord is King_Unicorn#1331 (i'm so close to 1337 rip)

well it looks like he isnt online or anything to help me. anyone able to help? i hope people notice this