Laptop Gaming.

WittyNameHere

Okay, in all of the reviews for laptops they say that they justify buying a gaming laptop for portability and want to game at the same time but no one ever mentions that you can buy a $180 chromebook or other cheaper solution and use a remote access to your pc through chromes useful remote access app to game from your desktop to your laptop. I have been using it with minimal to almost no latency issues. Mind you I have only been using them on high bandwidth internet.  

But you can only game when you are in range of your home wifi, which has no point really.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Even on  100Mbps down 30Mbps up on both connections this still inst ideal.

1, Fidelity is much lower the image is compressed and no where near native quality.

2. You have to have a fast internet connection WITH good latency. no playing at airports, cars, and many places you'd take your laptop. 

3. This will add at least 50MS  if your close to the location but probably even more.  If your Far say a few states over this latency will be much more. I Cant personally play with an extra 50MS of lag in most games gets me all dizzy and cant aim.  and 50ms is a best case scenario 

4. They have dedicated programs that work better then Chrome remote desktop for this Like moonlight 

Think about it gaming online.

Game server 40ms 

Time to stream picture 50MS

Input controls 50MS since they get streamed 

Moinitor Lag 20MS+ 

When you account for everything it gets to be a bit too much. This works for a few use cases but not typically why someone wants a laptop for gaming 

12 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But you can only game when you are in range of your home wifi, which has no point really.

Hes Remote desktoping into the computer not like Steams streaming so its from anywhere but Lag, Image quality and many other things make this something that doesnt work well out of your own wifi range. so you are correct there.

12 minutes ago, WittyNameHere said:

Umm no I can game with any internet connection.

You will have poor video quality and 2-3 second lag depending on you location. I tried IN HOME streaming once with horrible results. I cringe at the thought of streaming from anywhere. 

9 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

You will have poor video quality and 2-3 second lag depending on you location. I tried IN HOME streaming once with horrible results. I cringe at the thought of streaming from anywhere. 

its Defiantly not 2-3 seconds as someone whos tried this. Its less then 1 second.  even if the internet MS is 200 which is High that would still put you around half a second. Still completely unplayable at half second but just saying.

In Home streaming should yield okay results it should just be a bit more lag that isn't crazy distinguishable. You need a good router and good wifi or a wired connection. It still has lessor quality video as well though 

2 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

its Defiantly not 2-3 seconds as someone whos tried this. Its less then 1 second.  even if the internet MS is 200 which is High that would still put you around half a second. Still completely unplayable at half second but just saying.

In Home streaming should yield okay results it should just be a bit more lag that isn't crazy distinguishable. You need a good router and good wifi or a wired connection. It still has lessor quality video as well though 

It was 2-3 seconds when I did it in home. 

And if I don't have internet access?

Yeah, I'll keep my gaming laptop.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, BloodyWaters said:

It was 2-3 seconds when I did it in home. 

Bad Equipment? PC Laptop Router?

Set it up Wrong

Interferance

bandwidth problems 

Routers blocking this from happening correctly

CPU cant handle the stream.

You Have a problem No your Latency in home should not be like that.  think about playing an online game the servers 300 miles from me and my controller input goes 300 miles and back 300 miles in 40MS... thats  1/20th of a second. Yes streaming is much more bandwidth then this  but gives an example of why in home should have such lag. 

Just now, michaelocarroll007 said:

Bad Equipment? PC Laptop Router?

Set it up Wrong

Interferance

bandwidth problems 

Routers blocking this from happening correctly.

You Have a problem No your Latency in home should not be like that.  think about playing an online game the servers 300 miles from me and my controller input goes 300 miles and back 300 miles in 40MS... thats  1/20th of a second. Yes streaming is much more bandwidth then this  but gives an example of why in home should have such lag. 

I have good equipment, it's just that streaming isn't very optimized. 

5 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

I have good equipment, it's just that streaming isn't very optimized. 

Thats not the actual answer. Go look up reviews of Steam Link in house or many other options. The Lag is very minimal when set up correctly with correct hardware.  Even xbox streaming to PC works reletively well with low input lag.  Both options add less then 1/10th of a second not multiple seconds.  

Though i do not like to play this way a casual Singleplayer game is playable. Mutiplayer can be frustrating or anything you have to focus on a lot