1080Ti or EKWB loop?

Hey guys,

My current rig is:

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha

i7-6700k

Asus Strix GTX1080 OC

I have been thinking about building a custom loop from EKWB. My CPU is already cooled with a Fractal Design S36 (360mm) AIO. However, my GPU idles at around 55-60'C, and under any load goes up to 70-80'C. So the fan noise can be rather annoying.

If I was to get a custom loop it'd cost around £300. 

Another option I was thinking would be to sell my current 1080 and get a Ti?

What are people's thoughts?

(Please, No comments saying you don't need a 1080 at all. It's my money, so I can spend how I like)

That's high for a strix actually. Most reviews of strix average 70 on load

What res do you game at? I have a 1080 on water and game at 1440P, its a palit gamerock premium, sitting right now at 26C, I have no idea why your idle temps are so high - highest load temps ive had is 68C and that's boosting to 2050mhz every time, its actually a nice boost from stock just for temps sake (no overclocking).

If you're 1440P or less I would honestly stick with the 1080, the loop will stay with you for years (swapping GPU blocks of course) a 1080ti wont last much longer than a 1080

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, stealth80 said:

What res do you game at? I have a 1080 on water and game at 1440P, its a palit gamerock premium, sitting right now at 26C, I have no idea why your idle temps are so high - highest load temps ive had is 68C and that's boosting to 2050mhz every time, its actually a nice boost from stock just for temps sake (no overclocking).

If you're 1440P or less I would honestly stick with the 1080, the loop will stay with you for years (swapping GPU blocks of course) a 1080ti wont last much longer than a 1080

I game at 1440P, forgot to say, I would prefer to get the loop tbh. Did you configure a loop from EKWB or did you DIY it?

1 minute ago, Benb96 said:

I game at 1440P, forgot to say, I would prefer to get the loop tbh. Did you configure a loop from EKWB or did you DIY it?

bit of everything, I carried it over from a previous build that was dual 970GTX, rres/pump combo, cpu block, vrm block and GPU block are all EK. Tubing and fittings came from Primochill courtesy of a sponsorship, rads I bought myself and painted - XSPC

i1CfIXn.jpg

Also, £700 for the ti, they can keep it! I got my Palit for £565 the price is rumoured to be around £60, if no loop id rather go 1080 SLI than 1080ti

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

bit of everything, I carried it over from a previous build that was dual 970GTX, rres/pump combo, cpu block, vrm block and GPU block are all EK. Tubing and fittings came from Primochill courtesy of a sponsorship, rads I bought myself and painted - XSPC

i1CfIXn.jpg

Also, £700 for the ti, they can keep it! I got my Palit for £565 the price is rumoured to be around £60, if no loop id rather go 1080 SLI than 1080ti

That is beautiful <3 !! I have never done a custom loop before. How difficult is hard tubing to work with, as I love the look.

2 minutes ago, Benb96 said:

That is beautiful <3 !! I have never done a custom loop before. How difficult is hard tubing to work with, as I love the look.

Haha cheers!

It aint too bad, I had done 2 flex tubing prior to rigid in my old build, and went rigid from the off in this. Make sure you get PETG, acrylic is a bitch in comparison. You will need heat gun and suitable silicone insert, get the insert from the same manufacturer as the PETG, it should fit. Also think about how much PETG you need and double it, I'm serious you will make a lot of silly errors on your first go.

Ryzen Ram Guide

Haha cheers!

It aint too bad, I had done 2 flex tubing prior to rigid in my old build, and went rigid from the off in this. Make sure you get PETG, acrylic is a bitch in comparison. You will need heat gun and suitable silicone insert, get the insert from the same manufacturer as the PETG, it should fit. Also think about how much PETG you need and double it, I'm serious you will make a lot of silly errors on your first go.

As long as I take my time and buy more than enough PETG, I should be fine? Surely it will just take a bit more time to put together. Also when transporting a water cooled PC, would I need to drain the loop?

1 minute ago, Benb96 said:

As long as I take my time and buy more than enough PETG, I should be fine? Surely it will just take a bit more time to put together. Also when transporting a water cooled PC, would I need to drain the loop?

Depends how you're moving it, train YES, car short journey? Ive moved mine 3- 4 miles with no issues, just do leak check prior to powering on

Ryzen Ram Guide

Depends how you're moving it, train YES, car short journey? Ive moved mine 3- 4 miles with no issues, just do leak check prior to powering on

It'd be a few hundred miles by car, but not very often. Would you use the EKWB configuration tool or just buy the parts separately? 

3 minutes ago, Benb96 said:

It'd be a few hundred miles by car, but not very often. Would you use the EKWB configuration tool or just buy the parts separately? 

I don't really rate EK radiators - it's my personal preference, I'm not saying theyre bad. Fans, blocks are all good. If I was to do this again I would go separate pump and res purely for aesthetics and barrow/bitspower fittings, you don't really need the config, just get your blocks there and res/pump if needed from ek and look around for fittings you like elsewhere - just make sure the fittings are compression and for RIGID tubing and then buy PETG with diameters to suit the fittings you picked.

You should look for at least 360mm of pretty thick rad for CPU + GPU, personally I like 2x rads so I can have the fans slower.

Shopping list!

Rads - A crossflow can help with tube location and asthetics (look at the top rad in my picture vs the bottom, it help as it has a tube from either end, whilst the bottom is from one end) - but they aren't good a normal rads - a reason I went with one of each

A pump - DDC PWM is pretty much beat

Res - can go separate res (more fittings vs better looks) or Pump/res combo from EK

Block for CPU

GPU block

Fans - high static pressure - EK Varders are pretty good as are thermaltake Riing 12 - go PWM though if possible.

Tubing - PETG 10/12mm or 10/13mm normally - more than you need

Angled fittings - depends on your case and loop, they can help with tight bends and aid the look, but you won't know how many really until you begin

Fittings - general rule is 2 per item in your loop + 2 to 3 for leaky fittings/drain/fill port so a CPU, GPU, Res, 2x Rads, Pump fill + drain will need like 14 fittings

A drain - well, it will need draining, you need to use tubes and fittings if you buy the right rad and locate it correctly:

iBEKqjy.jpg

That's mine going through the PCI blanks 

Ryzen Ram Guide