What happen if i buy a 1000w Power Supply if i need less?

IsraChido
Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,
41 minutes ago, IsraChido said:

I will use only the 300 W, or i will use the 300 W and the company of electricity will charge me the 1000W, when im only ussing 300W.

When your components are drawing 300W, the power supply will draw a little more AC power from the wall, maybe 375W, and then generate the required 300W of DC power for the components. The rest is lost in the conversion process and becomes heat inside the power supply.

A more efficient power supply loses less power this way, and that also means it has less heat to get rid of. So higher efficiency power supplies are typically less noisy.

26 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

there is no white certification 

The plain 80+ rating (below 80+ bronze) uses the white color.

Well, i will need Aprox. 300 W with my config. of my prox. PC but i don't what happens if i need 300 W but i have a power supply of 1000.

I will use only the 300 W, or i will use the 300 W and the company of electricity will charge me the 1000W, when im only ussing 300W.

(Plz, don't link this the video of Linus, i saw the vid but i don't understand)...

Ahh.. Last question: What is the efficiency in a power supply what they mean?

Nothing. Wattage numbers are the max it can supply, not constantly uses. 

The computer will only pull as much as it needs, you could have a system that draws 100watts using a 1500 watt power supply, and it'd still only put 100watt into the system. 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

you will only use 300w. 1000w is just the max the psu can supply.

Ok, thanks but what about of the efficiency and wth why i will buy a PSU with 80+ (A 80+ White will be good?)

Same I will saw  PSU reviews.

you will use a little more power as 300 W is likely to be below the peak efficiency point of the PSU (which typically occurs around 50% of power draw) which would mean some wasted electricity, but nothing serious, also if you have a good unit you with a Zero Fan mode you might never have the fan come on.

1 minute ago, IsraChido said:

Ok, thanks but what about of the efficiency and wth why i will buy a PSU with 80+ (A 80+ White will be good?)

Same I will saw  PSU reviews.

Effecency doesn't effect quality. It only effects how efficient that psu is.

Id your using a system with a max of 300w, id get something like a 360w psu, no reason to get anything bigger.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Effecency doesn't effect quality. It only effects how efficient that psu is.

Id your using a system with a max of 300w, id get something like a 360w psu, no reason to get anything bigger.

Unless he is planning to upgrade, the I suggest a 400W.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

Well i think i will put a 500W power supply with 80+ White Certification, im enter in the PC Master Race and i will upgrade in the future but i will lose efficience?

3 minutes ago, IsraChido said:

Well i think i will put a 500W power supply with 80+ White Certification, im enter in the PC Master Race and i will upgrade in the future but i will lose efficience?

Just now, IsraChido said:

most good PSU's will have an efficiency curve you can look up, basically match peak efficiency to the power draw you will spend the most time at while keeping peak rating 10-15% above your max draw (as power output drops with age), if you want to be super efficient.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah the 80+ (not bronze, gold, etc.).

41 minutes ago, IsraChido said:

When your components are drawing 300W, the power supply will draw a little more AC power from the wall, maybe 375W, and then generate the required 300W of DC power for the components. The rest is lost in the conversion process and becomes heat inside the power supply.

A more efficient power supply loses less power this way, and that also means it has less heat to get rid of. So higher efficiency power supplies are typically less noisy.

26 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

The plain 80+ rating (below 80+ bronze) uses the white color.