Windows not booting!

Chandres

Hello,

So today I had this problem and need some help. I have built 3 PCs in my life and never had this problem. I built this PC with an RX 460 a Haswell i3 an MSI motherboard, a 120gb SSD and a 1tb Western Digital Purple HDD. It built it for my friend. He turn off his PC to go eat lunch. He went back turned it on and had this message.

"It is in spanuish so sorry. Here is a transaltion.

Windows found a problem in communicantion with a divice connected to the system.

The cause of this error could be de disconnection of the storage device, like a USB Drive, or damaged hardware like a HDD or a CD-ROM with errors. Be sure the device is well connected and restart the PC.

If you keep getting this message contact your hardware manufacturer."

The drives are both identified by the BIOS. Also I tried disconnecting the HDD and it still gets the message. Any help?

bfb39adf-c194-499c-875c-5df350975a19.jpg

Did you try turning off and on again?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, OliverKunnington said:

do you have access to bios?

Yes, it works perfectly and it identifies both the Boot SSD and the HDD

6 minutes ago, Chandres said:

Yes, it works perfectly and it identifies both the Boot SSD and the HDD

after you try what @JoostinOnline said  try booting hiren, https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

I haven't tried it in a long time but it should tell you if the hard drive has a problem.(ie if it boots it has a problem)

1 minute ago, OliverKunnington said:

after you try what @JoostinOnline said  try booting hiren, https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

I haven't tried it in a long time but it should tell you if the hard drive has a problem.

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Well, my problem is windows. Like I can't get into safe mode. It won't let my friend do anything. It just put's him into the screen

3 minutes ago, Chandres said:

Well, my problem is windows. Like I can't get into safe mode. It won't let my friend do anything. It just put's him into the screen

I had a problem like that in the past when my power was cut during a lightning storm. when it was booting up the power was cut and I couldn't boot. Maybe something similar happened. try reinstalling windows.

2 minutes ago, OliverKunnington said:

I had a problem like that in the past when my power was cut during a lightning storm. when it was booting up the power was cut and I couldn't boot. Maybe something similar happened. try reinstalling windows.

It looks like I will have to do that

If the bios is correctly detecting all the hardware to the motherboard, it's windows that has the issue. I would try re-installing windows on that machine. It's likely that a windows file was corrupted.

18 minutes ago, Chandres said:

Hello,

So today I had this problem and need some help. I have built 3 PCs in my life and never had this problem. I built this PC with an RX 460 a Haswell i3 an MSI motherboard, a 120gb SSD and a 1tb Western Digital Purple HDD. It built it for my friend. He turn off his PC to go eat lunch. He went back turned it on and had this message.

Windows found a problem in communicantion with a divice connected to the system.

The cause of this error could be de disconnection of the storage device, like a USB Drive, or damaged hardware like a HDD or a CD-ROM with errors. Be sure the device is well connected and restart the PC.

The drives are both identified by the BIOS. Also I tried disconnecting the HDD and it still gets the message. Any help?

WAIT, IT'S A SATA CONTROLLER!!!

Just now, Chandres said:

It looks like I will have to do that

when the power suddenly cuts it can lead to destroyed sectors on the hard drive, in what drive where the windows the HDD or SSD?

19 minutes ago, Chandres said:

Hello,

Sorry for quoting twice, but this looks to be a SATA controller issue from my past experiences..

1 minute ago, OliverKunnington said:

when the power suddenly cuts it can lead to destroyed sectors on the hard drive, in what drive where the windows the HDD or SSD?

That's not the HDD, if it is I/O related, it might mean a bad SATA controller on the mobo..

3 minutes ago, OliverKunnington said:

If that was the HDD, the S.M.A.R.T. disk check would tell him that the Disk Check failed.

I mean, it was working perfectly one hour before the problem. He safely booted off and when he turned it back on it happened.

1 minute ago, epickiller272 said:

If that was the HDD, the S.M.A.R.T. disk check would tell him that the Disk Check failed.

Just exploring all the possibilities and gathering all the facts.

ps you can edit your comments so that you don't have to quote twice.

Just now, OliverKunnington said:

Just exploring all the possibilities and gathering all the facts.

ps you can edit your comments so that you don't have to quote twice.

Are you kidding me? No you can't!!

25 minutes ago, Chandres said:

Hello,

The SATA controller is linked to the code from an issue I had years ago..

1 minute ago, Chandres said:

I mean, it was working perfectly one hour before the problem. He safely booted off and when he turned it back on it happened.

First try what @epickiller272 said and change both the sata cable and the sata mobo slot, to check for bad sata cable.

second, do what I said before, try booting from other media and see what happens.

after that you can try reinstalling windows since it's the most time consuming.

2 minutes ago, OliverKunnington said:

First try what @epickiller272 said and change both the sata cable and the sata mobo slot, to check for bad sata cable.

second, do what I said before, try booting from other media and see what happens.

after that you can try reinstalling windows since it's the most time consuming.

Is he booting SCSI, IDE, or RAID? that could be an issue.

Just now, epickiller272 said:

Is he booting SCSI, IDE, or RAID? that could be an issue.

I built the PC, it has no raid. It is as it came out of the box.

Just now, Chandres said:

I built the PC, it has no raid. It is as it came out of the box.

The last thing I can think of is rebuilding the MBR if this PC uses MBR. Wouldn't work on GPT, but 95% of people don't have a copy of DOS or a floppy disk drive now, do we? By the way, how old, what size, and what brand is the HDD??