Looking for media laptop at ~400 EUR.

An acquaintance of mine has an old Galaxy Tab 10.1. And I really mean it, the tablet must be around 6 years old right now. Anyway, he is looking to get a laptop as a replacement.

Why a laptop you might ask? He realized tablets are mostly useless and he doesn't have a proper pc either, so a laptop seems just fine. Plus he'd be able to use it for other stuff as well, such as working with Office.

First of all, the budget is around 400 EUR. The cheaper the better, unless it comes with a clear disadvantage. As far as the usage scenario goes,the laptop will mostly be used for casual activities: basic web browsing, maybe Office, streaming/playing movies. No games or other intensive graphical applications.

After browsing the local online stores for a little bit, I think I found a good choice: an Acer Aspire E5-575-33P6.

maxresdefault.jpg

It has an i3 6006U, 8GBs of RAM and a 128GB SSD. The SSD is M.2 and the laptop also has a 2.5" SATA slot, so fitting an extra 1TB HDD for storage should be no problem. Oh, and even with the extra HDD it still fits the budget. The display is 1080p, that's pretty great. Sure, it's TN but I'm not expecting anything else than that in this price range. The build does consist of plastic, but at least it's sturdy and looks somewhat sleek. Again, you can't have too high expectations from a 350EUR laptop. Overall, it looks like a great package for the price.

Other than this, I've found some HP laptops with similar specs, but they're overall more expensive. Also some Lenovos but they have HD displays and usually come with 4GBs of RAM.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Hmm looks fine to me, I haven't seen a 400 euro laptop with a m.2 slot before.

The geek himself.

old thinkpads on ebay with a i5 or a i7, for a upgrade throw in a small ssd and 8 or 16 gb ram. 

3 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

An acquaintance of mine has an old Galaxy Tab 10.1. And I really mean it, the tablet must be around 6 years old right now. Anyway, he is looking to get a laptop as a replacement.

Why a laptop you might ask? He realized tablets are mostly useless and he doesn't have a proper pc either, so a laptop seems just fine. Plus he'd be able to use it for other stuff as well, such as working with Office.

First of all, the budget is around 400 EUR. The cheaper the better, unless it comes with a clear disadvantage. As far as the usage scenario goes,the laptop will mostly be used for casual activities: basic web browsing, maybe Office, streaming/playing movies. No games or other intensive graphical applications.

After browsing the local online stores for a little bit, I think I found a good choice: an Acer Aspire E5-575-33P6.

maxresdefault.jpg

It has an i3 6006U, 8GBs of RAM and a 128GB SSD. The SSD is M.2 and the laptop also has a 2.5" SATA slot, so fitting an extra 1TB HDD for storage should be no problem. Oh, and even with the extra HDD it still fits the budget. The display is 1080p, that's pretty great. Sure, it's TN but I'm not expecting anything else than that in this price range. The build does consist of plastic, but at least it's sturdy and looks somewhat sleek. Again, you can't have too high expectations from a 350EUR laptop. Overall, it looks like a great package for the price.

I've also found some HP laptops with similar specs, but they're overall more expensive. Also some Lenovos but they have HD displays and usually come with 4GBs of RAM.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and/or suggestions.

Don't make it fall. Don't put anything heavy above it, Acer doesn't like that...

Yeah don't drop acer laptops, the last time my friend did that the motherboard quit working right away. I knew it was the motherboard because i replaced it and it worked fine after.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Hmm looks fine to me, I haven't seen a 400 euro laptop with a m.2 slot before.

i am going to guess its going to fall apart very soon.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Yeah don't drop acer laptops, the last time my friend did that the motherboard quit working right away. I knew it was the motherboard because i replaced it and it worked fine after.

I've had a cheap Acer notebook (~400 eur) from 2007 and it still works to this day. Sure, it doesn't work that well these days, it's slow as hell, but it still works, surprisingly.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.