AT&T Gigabit?

vestcp

Hello folks,

I am about to move to an apartment complex in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that offers AT&T as an ISP selection featuring their gigabit fiber service at $80/mo.

Thus, I am curious if any you in the LTT community have had any experience (good or bad) with AT&T fiber gigabit?

use a 3rd party router. Even if you were still planning to buy a 3rd party one, do it. the att stock router is bad. like REALLY REALLY bad. like 1/10 of the speed you paid for right next to the router. that's just my experience, maybe they fixed it or give out different ones now...

linus sex tips

1 minute ago, tt2468 said:

No reason not to do it. What other service is out there?

That is very true. The only options are AT&T or a local ISP that only offers a max service of 75/5 for around the same pricing.

4 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

use a 3rd party router. Even if you were still planning to buy a 3rd party one, do it. the att stock router is bad. like REALLY REALLY bad. like 1/10 of the speed you paid for right next to the router. that's just my experience, maybe they fixed it or give out different ones now...

I agree. My folks live in the same general area and are still using the provided AT&T modem and router and it isn't terrible. But they only have a 50/5 service. Don't know how much I would trust their hardware or any ISP hardware at gigabit speeds. But hey, just an excuse to invest into a new and shiny router. Now only if I could afford a stupid crazy router like the Nighthawk X10...

5 minutes ago, vestcp said:

I agree. My folks live in the same general area and are still using the provided AT&T modem and router and it isn't terrible. But they only have a 50/5 service. Don't know how much I would trust their hardware or any ISP hardware at gigabit speeds. But hey, just an excuse to invest into a new and shiny router. Now only if I could afford a stupid crazy router like the Nighthawk X10...

att uverse in my area only has at max 19/5, which is crap, also with high latency, so I was more or less forced to switch to cable internet, which is about 60 m/s for about $40/mo (with promotional deals, long hours on hold included)

linus sex tips

most of the issues that people may complain of related to telephone companies are on DSL, and the issues are caused because they don't want to maintain the copper wires anymore. What you are talking about is fiber, and the telcos prefer it because it is much less maintenance intensive, and lasts longer before having to be replaced. So I say get that gigabit and enjoy it. But as others have said, use your own router (there may be some difficulty if you get TV service from AT&T through the fiber as well, because if it's like Verizon FIOS, their set top boxes are finicky with other routers)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: