7700k oc

so I oc my 7700k and my friend thinks my temps are running to high i do have it it water cooled with a h110I cooler and silent wing fans. the max tempature was gained by running forza horizon for pc which seems very poorly ported from xbox.

cpu temp record.png

4 minutes ago, ffatyman said:

so I oc my 7700k and my friend thinks my temps are running to high i do have it it water cooled with a h110I cooler and silent wing fans. the max tempature was gained by running forza horizon for pc which seems very poorly ported from xbox.

cpu temp record.png

Temps seem normal for gaming temps.

Put a real load on it with something like RealBench stress test or AIDA64 and let us know what those temps are.  

Oh, and switch to Celsius.  Nobody really uses Fahrenheit while talking about PCs. 

so about that 200^F is the safest or within reason?

1 minute ago, ffatyman said:

Yeah, I didn't look at your max column.  You really need to switch to Celsius man.

Anyways, you're at 90c + which is definitely hot.  Our 7700k CPUs start to throttle in the area of 95c.

Why are you running 1.41v for just 4.94 GHz?  That's high for that clockspeed unless you got a hold of a lower grade chip.

12 minutes ago, ffatyman said:

It's a lil too high.

I would try reseating the cooler, and cleaning off and replacing the thermal paste with some NT-H1 or MX-4 or something like that.

1.4v is a bit high, try lowering it below 1.4v too if the thermal paste doesn't help.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It's a lil too high.

I would try reseating the cooler, and cleaning off and replacing the thermal paste with some NT-H1 or MX-4 or something like that.

1.4v is a bit high, try lowering it below 1.4v too if the thermal paste doesn't help.

Okay so I will try to find some of that paste i Just used the stock paste and look into the voltage would i be aiming more for the 1.3v or so?

4 minutes ago, ffatyman said:

Okay so I will try to find some of that paste i Just used the stock paste and look into the voltage would i be aiming more for the 1.3v or so?

I personally wouldn't go over 1.35v, which should keep your temps below 90C which is safe.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I personally wouldn't go over 1.35v, which should keep your temps below 90C which is safe.

I think I need to reset my bios because the voltages just are not adding up, or im in the wrong place

20170220_223424.jpg

2 minutes ago, ffatyman said:

I think I need to reset my bios because the voltages just are not adding up, or im in the wrong place

You need to disable auto, otherwise the software decides what voltage to use and that's probably why it's so high.

Set the voltage manually, the software overestimates what you need.

Also, at idle it will be lower (like the 1.1v you can see in the image) because the CPU is not needing more voltage.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need to disable auto, otherwise the software decides what voltage to use and that's probably why it's so high.

Set the voltage manually, the software overestimates what you need.

Also, at idle it will be lower (like the 1.1v you can see in the image) because the CPU is not needing more voltage.

Okay I'm assuming  right where my mouse was hovering is what I should change.

1 minute ago, ffatyman said:

Okay I'm assuming  right where my mouse was hovering is what I should change.

Yep, also check out "asus motherboard overclocking" guides on youtube if you want to know more details.

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yep, also check out "asus motherboard overclocking" guides on youtube if you want to know more details.

okay so i changed the voltage down to 1.25~ ill run the bench/stress tester in the morning cause i need to get to bed for work in the morning thank you guys for the help ill be on later tomorrow with updates.

edit one.PNG

2 minutes ago, ffatyman said:

okay so i changed the voltage down to 1.25~ ill run the bench/stress tester in the morning cause i need to get to bed for work in the morning thank you guys for the help ill be on later tomorrow with updates.

edit one.PNG

I doubt it will be stable at 4.9GHz with only 1.25v, but it's a good start :) you know how to overclock.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

I doubt it will be stable at 4.9GHz with only 1.25v, but it's a good start :) you know how to overclock.

yeah I had it crash on me once but i interrupted the benchmark test and, yeah... I just need to educate myself some more this is my only personal build i've ever done and im still trying to work out the kinks. but i do appreciate the help!