1070 ain't workin

Garrison Marsh

My friend got a GTX 1070 recently and has been using the razor core to play some games on his laptop. He has noticed that in the Witcher 3 and Battlefield 1 the framerate is really bad (like in the 20s on low settings). He is able to run just fine on ultra in the battlefield 1 campaign though. What's going on?

Which laptop? He's probably being bottlenecked by a Y or U series processor, and BF1 Multiplayer and WT3 are CPU-intensive. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Which laptop? He's probably being bottlenecked by a Y or U series processor, and BF1 Multiplayer and WT3 are CPU-intensive. 

He has the razer blade stealth with an i7 so i doubt its being bottlenecked. I have an i3 and can run these games just fine.

1 minute ago, Garrison Marsh said:

He has the razer blade stealth with an i7 so i doubt its being bottlenecked. I have an i3 and can run these games just fine.

Razer Blade Stealth.. There's his issue. It's shite. 

Even your i3 is faster than his laptop i7 - it's in a 15w power profile and requires good cooling to make it go quick, which is something the Blade Stealth lacks. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Even your i3 is faster than his laptop i7 - it's in a 15w power profile and requires good cooling to make it go quick, which is something the Blade Stealth lacks. 

So, is there a solution? Other than getting a new laptop?

may be a pcie bottleneck because of thunderbolt (does the linus-man have a video on this? i'm not sure how much of a problem the limited bandwidth is)

beyond that, are you sure he is *actually* using the gpu for his games, or missed a setting somewhere?

Most likely a Bottleneck from a Laptop CPU I would recommend runing CPU ID or something like that to find out which processor, Pretty sure the saying goes "Don't be fooled by Laptop CPU's. or something like that

Please @Dormant God or quote me if you want me to see your message/reply

Custom PC Specs
Custom PC Build: (CPU) i7-6700k (MotherBoard) GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX (RAM) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4/3000MHz (GPU) MSI GTX 1080 (Case) Crystal 570X RGB (Storage) 1 TB HDD from Seagate

Manikyath No it's his CPU

Custom PC Specs
Custom PC Build: (CPU) i7-6700k (MotherBoard) GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z170 SLI ATX (RAM) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4/3000MHz (GPU) MSI GTX 1080 (Case) Crystal 570X RGB (Storage) 1 TB HDD from Seagate

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

compared to a desktop i3, it's not *that* bad.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4130/m36930vs1621

2 minutes ago, Dormant God said:

Most likely a Bottleneck from a Laptop CPU I would recommend runing CPU ID or something like that to find out which processor, Pretty sure the saying goes "Don't be fooled by Laptop CPU's. or something like that

I would think that this is the problem except that he can run Just Cause 3 and BF1 singleplayer so idk

1 minute ago, Dormant God said:

Manikyath No it's his CPU

or this:

5 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

I have an i3 and can run these games just fine.

I would think that this is the problem except that he can run Just Cause 3 and BF1 singleplayer so idk

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Droidbot said Witcher 3 and BF1 Multiplayer are CPU intensive so it's more likely than not a CPU Bottleneck

Custom PC Specs

3 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

So, is there a solution? Other than getting a new laptop?

Run Intel XTU and run a stress test for around 10 minutes and see how much it is thermal throttling in the bottom part. 

If it's throttling super bad, contact Razer and organise a replacement unit

idk

Well if you want to wait for Thunderbolt 3 to have a "CPU" form that the GPU has to allow "High Graphical gaming" on a laptop which is not going to happen because I can see into the future of stupid Ideas

Custom PC Specs

5 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

So basically there is no way to fix this other than getting a new pc?

since people are screaming their hats off at a cpu bottleneck, please try this:

both you (with your i3, PS, please add which specific one you have), and your friend join the same server, and take note of framerates. the i7-6500u is nothing fancy, but it should not hilareously underperform compared to a desktop i3.

4 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

So basically there is no way to fix this other than getting a new pc?

Pretty much, yeah. Some units of the RBS have a super bad thermal throttling issue fixed on the newer units. 

idk

It could also be Ram based but doesn't the Razer have some ridiculous laptop ram?

Custom PC Specs

4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Some units of the RBS have a super bad thermal throttling issue fixed on the newer units. 

So would razer replace it with a new one that wouldnt have this problem?

4 minutes ago, Dormant God said:

It could also be Ram based but doesn't the Razer have some ridiculous laptop ram?

Board soldered afaik

So would razer replace it with a new one that wouldnt have this problem?

They should, yes. 

idk

probably not

Because they are money hunger :/

Custom PC Specs

3 minutes ago, Garrison Marsh said:

I have an i3 4170

try the thing i said, i'm not expecting the i7 to perform greatly, but i dont quite expect it to be *this* terrible.

It could be a number of things, RAM, slow internet connection but it could mainly be the CPU

Custom PC Specs